• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

shipping from Boston

T-foiler

Hi All, I received a quote for round trip shipping from Boston to Portland. $900 if a group of around 10 shipped. this would be a dedicated trailer, with a major carrier. I am curious if there is an interest. Because I'm a working stiff, this would give me lots of time on the west coast.

East - west shipping

I'm in the process of working out details from RI to Ore.
Looks like $920.00
ouch, one way, will ride two up back

Reel Job

If you guys are looking for a group out of the Boston-Providence area, you might want to post up on the Yankee Beemers, Vermont BMWMOA, or Ocean State BMW riders sites to complete your group. OM

Hi All, I received a quote for round trip shipping from Boston to Portland. $900 if a group of around 10 shipped. this would be a dedicated trailer, with a major carrier. I am curious if there is an interest. Because I'm a working stiff, this would give me lots of time on the west coast.

That is an amazing deal. What's the carrier?

I would definitely be interested. Do you have any idea how long for the bike to make the trip and when the return would be? If I do this I want to spend at least 10 days riding out west, without having to ride to get there. Thanks for the work

Sorry taking so long to respond, I have been traveling. It turns out my friend's company doesn't ship bikes. He had checked with Federal, they made a quote of $880 round trip from their terminal near Boston (all the bikes are loaded at the same time) then shipped to Portland terminal (where they wait for pickup) Here is the catch: total of $8000 insurance for the whole load, so that is $800 worth of insurance for each bike. If you want more insurance it is $6 per thousand. They had suggested that each owner should check with their own insurance carrier to see if they cover the bike while being shipped. So a $15K bike X $6 = $90, but I don't know if insurance needs to be purchased for each way.

Last edited:
I see this as a two week holiday from work, but others will want a different schedule. The bikes should be there by the weekend before the rally. Being the independent cusses that we are, it will be difficult enough getting riders to agree on a shipping out date. So I'm thinking two prearranged shipping dates back home - dates of whenever. Some of us cusses will want to ride home, we would just need to get others that want to ship home. Ever see a large group of normally independent crows all flying together and hanging out in the trees swapping lies, I think they are called a murder. What do they call a group of BMW riders?
My plans are to ride in Oregon before and during the rally, then up to BC for the following week.

I might be in for the trip back

Depending on the ship back dates I might be interested in a one-way back to Boston. Have plans for the ride out, but was not looking too forward to the trip back.

boston to portland

I am extremely interested in this. Is this idea going anywhere? The catch for me is that I would only want to ship one way.

Louise

I will talk with the shipper on Monday to verify the details. I would love to get a rough count of people interested and what way(s) they want to ship. Not looking to lock in people just trying to see if this is a viable idea.

I would be interested in shipping out, and riding back.

I was thinking of going to Mayne Island, B.C. after the rally. How long after the rally ends before the shipping back date?

Josh

I will talk with the shipper on Monday to verify the details. I would love to get a rough count of people interested and what way(s) they want to ship. Not looking to lock in people just trying to see if this is a viable idea.

Sent you a PM.

Louise

The deal still works if 10 people do the trip, $450 each way. The sign up is by April 20th as the prices in May goto full value. If you are interested post here in public and send me a PM I will then give you the details and the contact name at federal shipping. The pricing is based on two one way trips, for example if 10 sign up for the out trip then the price is $450 for that group. If 5 sign up for the return then their costs will be much higher. If someone signs up for a round trip and it is not 10 & 10 the their costs will be higher. The shipping out would be on the 8th so we can have our bikes for the 4th, they will arrive on the 15th. The trailer will be a dedicated trailer, once loaded the bikes will not be handled again until Portland.
Best, Paul

The deal still works if 10 people do the trip, $450 each way. The sign up is by April 20th as the prices in May goto full value. If you are interested post here in public and send me a PM I will then give you the details and the contact name at federal shipping. The pricing is based on two one way trips, for example if 10 sign up for the out trip then the price is $450 for that group. If 5 sign up for the return then their costs will be much higher. If someone signs up for a round trip and it is not 10 & 10 the their costs will be higher. The shipping out would be on the 8th so we can have our bikes for the 4th, they will arrive on the 15th. The trailer will be a dedicated trailer, once loaded the bikes will not be handled again until Portland.
Best, Paul

I am in for the trip out. Thanks Paul.

Back