• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Airhead Tire Pumps - Do they work?

kentuvman

Wondering if these pumps can actually be used to adding TP.

My R60/5 didn't come with one.

Should I have one?

If it's the original one that came mounted on the frame (hand pump) - yes, they do work. I wore mine out pumping up VW tires. It should really be used on just motorcycle and bicycle tires. I've fixed a few flats on the road with the original spoons and hand pump quite a few times.

2 different questions.
1) yes, they work.
2) "having one" really depends upon your expectations and desires. if i had one, i might use it. if i did not, i would either purchase a small electric pump, or use CO2 cartridges, or buy a good bicycle tire pump (mntn bike spec rather than road spec). my choice of preferred weapon would probably be same as order listed.
3) only thing that would make me want a stock hand pump would be if i was going for a concourse level restoration. and since the original steel one is NLA, even less reason to go for a new OEM, as they are plastic construction.

Tire pumps

If you hold yout thumb ovrt the end, pump it, and you feel pressure, then yes, it will work.
With that in mind, consider the fact that it takes about 3000 strokes to get enough air in the tube so you can get to the nearest compressor. Don't ask me how I know.
So my opinion is that they're just there for looks, and I carry a small electric pump.

I have 3 pumps with me when I tour. The original pump clipped to the frame (just for show, I suppose). I also have a good bicycle pump in the saddlebag. I usually use this to top off my tires each day. I have a DC-powered pump that runs off the battery once I plug in the cigarette light female receptacle. I went to Wally World and bought one of the cheap $15 battery powered pumps and ripped away all the plastic and retained the essentials. I mounted that to a small piece of plywood just to hold it together. I carry the electric pump, the cables, and cigarette adapter in a small plastic pouch in my saddlebag.

If you hold yout thumb ovrt the end, pump it, and you feel pressure, then yes, it will work.
With that in mind, consider the fact that it takes about 3000 strokes to get enough air in the tube so you can get to the nearest compressor. Don't ask me how I know.
So my opinion is that they're just there for looks, and I carry a small electric pump.

Thanks guys and I can surmise how you know, BoxerBruce!

As always, thanks guys.

I know Hucky's sells them and good to know that what he's selling may be plastic - I guess I'll ask when I place my parts order. It's not that I "need" one to use but would "like" to have on the bike as I've been cleaning, servicing, and putting her back together as I enjoy doing!

I also have a good bicycle pump in the saddlebag. I usually use this to top off my tires each day.

if you are having to top your tires off daily, you have leaking tubes that need replacing. unless you are going thru major changes in altitude (several thousand feet), you really should not be seeing big changes in your air pressure on a daily basis.

if you are having to top your tires off daily, you have leaking tubes that need replacing. unless you are going thru major changes in altitude (several thousand feet), you really should not be seeing big changes in your air pressure on a daily basis.

Maybe I should have said "checking my tires". But sometimes, they might be a pound or so different...not every day though. Some of the trips are up and down elevations changes.

I know Hucky's sells them and good to know that what he's selling may be plastic - I guess I'll ask when I place my parts order.

The ones that Hans sells (Hucky's) are metal and the one I received from him looks identical to the original that's in my R90S.

When I bought my R90S in late '75, the old line dealer told me that with the /2 air pumps, 4 strokes=1psi. The /6 pumps were less. So, maybe not quite 3000 strokes.

Yes they do work and they will work extra good, if you take a couple of minutes to take it apart, clean it and lubricate the shaft and the inside.
Those airhead tires are skinny and don't hold ton of volume. I like mine just fine.
Nick Kennedy
1978 R 80/7

Back