• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

F800GS or R1200GS?

F800GS or 1200GS

Just my .$02, I traded in my F800 for a 2013 1200, I found the 800 a really uncomfortable bike to ride on the road. I lowered the bike with progressive springs front and back and that fixed the to tall problem. BTW I have a 30" inseam The seat was miserable for more than a few miles. Having said all that I liked the bike on gravel and dirt roads, did a little cowpath riding but that is not the bikes strong suit. The 21" front tire is a boon off road but kinda of problem on superslab. The snatchy throttle on the 800 was a learning curve to climb, but it could be fixed aftermarket. FWIW.

I find my 1200 GS well suited for long days on the saddle and handles itself quite well off road ...but there is a limit.....when the going gets tough...TKC80 would help you get farther off the beaten path.

yeah, right.

try this on your 1200GS- only 1 gallon of fuel left, and 55 miles to the next gas stop. The 800 gets there with a few miles to spare, the 1200 gets there after being pushed, trailered or towed the last 5-10 miles

I don't get the logic here...with a 5.3 gallon tank for the 1200 vs a 4.2 gal tank on the 800, the 1200 would have already gotten you there while the 800 would be 55 miles yet to go. LOL No doubt the 1200 is the way to go. Take a demo ride of each and you will have your answer.

I don't get the logic here...with a 5.3 gallon tank for the 1200 vs a 4.2 gal tank on the 800, the 1200 would have already gotten you there while the 800 would be 55 miles yet to go. LOL No doubt the 1200 is the way to go. Take a demo ride of each and you will have your answer.

merely pointing out the far superior gas mileage from the F800. just doing a local ride the other day, I saw 66 mpg actual usage (tank calculated, not OBC), running about speed limit +5. 54 mpg is normal commuting status, 71 mpg is my best ever, running interstate for 2 tank fulls.
If I rode 2up consistently, I would opt for the 1200, n question. for solo use.. I can't see any advantage to the big GS over the 800. and with the release of the new 800 Adv and it's larger tank, range is no longer a big advantage to the 1200.
buy what works for you, it's what I did.

I have ridden both extensively in Europe, and when it came time to buy a new bike here, it was the 800. Even 2 up in Europe, the 800 is my favorite. Yes, if I was going to ride endless highways and chew up 600 mile days, the 1200 would be a better choice, but for twisty back roads the 800 feels playful compared to the 1200. 10-12 hours on back roads is no problem, but the 800 does need a better seat. And yes, I really enjoy saving $$ on gas an tires over the 12, which I promptly spend riding more!

Have both:)

Actually all three GSs, '07GSA1200,F700GS and F800GSs,2013 all in garage. My Kids ride the smaller ones, just got'em 4 months ago. We have many comparisons. I am bigger GSA1200 fan, no better bike. SEATS on all the BMWs I buy stink. All the above 800 complaints still there with ours, but most go away with using the bike and knowing it better. Its geared to tall it seems still, the 800 is a handful off road, moreso than GSA1200 torque'y motor. Its still a use thing, miles added it gets better knowing how. The F700GS is so much better from the beginning, smoother all around and nobody much hears this said! Its just not the tall 800GS with its goodies. I ride both my kids bikes and like the F700GS better:). NO Slouch here. We do a LOT of off road and all the bikes are getting new tires from Heidenau, just so much better for dirt, 50/50 tires:). TKC80S are so way cool too on a F700GS, a friend has 'em on his. Nothing not to like about that. Gasoline and miles? Rotopax solves all the problems for F800/700GSs and we too have these added for miles and miles:). The 800 gets 48-52mpg, 700 slightly better on these two new ones so far. Somebody said way more in above post??? Not these two. MY GSA1200 gets 51mpg, falling off a cliff and 38-42 on open road at speed. The NEW GS1200 water cooler is interesting, different tire sizes and 128HP. I'm not sure anybody needs more HP. Its NOT a selling point to me. My 100HP '07GSA1200 does all I'll ever need and then some. I await the new 2014 R1200GSA and see what I like. The NEW F800GSA should be cool too, sell a lot. Once a GSA owner, its real hard to go back, although the new F700GS is really COOL to ride. Randy

We have a winner! FWIW the OP apparently now owns a ........

2005 R1200GS

I knew he would make the right choice ;)

Seriously, I wish I had one of each like Randy! They are all great in their own way.

Back