• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suspension hitting hard on 2012 RT

No need to quote the post above this one.

Acording to rtwiz my rear spring is not too soft. Read my post again. With full load, bike sits 2" too low in the back.

With 45 mm sag (140*.32 or 1/3) and only ME (200lbs) on the bike I get 38" from ground to the top of the back rack.

Turn the preload (ride height) all the way up, add rest of load, girlfriend (who really is little 5'1") and measure again. I get 36" measured at the same place. Headlight points to the sky. And my spring is too strong? This on a 12 R1200R. A new bike.

Just me and girlfriend, no side cases preload all the way up, I get 37" which figures out to be about 70mm sag.

You seem to think I am not too bright, could you please explain how my spring is too stiff?
Go ahead, school me.

David
Over and out

Apologies to original poster we seem to have wandered a little. I still stand by my thought that too weak of spring or not enough preload can cause the compression damping that is built in to the shock to make the bike feel harsh on what seem to be small bumps at high speed. This was explained to me by a motorcycle suspension person.

David:

Too many posts on too many forums. Sorry about my post. I apologized at the end of my post if you got that far. I'll do it again. Sorry. My theory was right but not an appropriate answer to your situation. MY bike is non electronic and the stock rear spring is massive on it. Not sure who I got you mixed up with. I'm gonna take a break for a while. :banghead:banghead:banghead

Take care,

-RTW

I spent a good part of the day making a spring compressor. You got me thinking If the new spring is too stiff,
I would have to send the shock to calafornia to get it changed. No way during riding season. I am using a set of automobile strut spring compressors to make one that fits this shock and spring. Once its off, I order the new one.

One set screw I cant get loose. I even heated it with a torch.

David

Back