• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 R1200RT Burning oil smell

I have noticed lately that whenever I am in prolonged stop/start traffic, independent of ambient temp (happened again last week in 27 deg.F), I get a faint but noticeable smell of oil burn. It usually correlates with the oils temp above half and lots of clutching. It goes away as soon as traffic starts moving. I don't notice it again when I stop at lights, etc.
Does any one else experience this?

I did for a short time. Then I fixed the small leak at the timing chain guide block bolt that was loose. This was on a 12 R1200R.
There is also a possibility of timing chain tensioner oil seepage.

David

I have exactly the same thing with my 09 RT. It has been going on for the last 25K miles or so, and I cannot find the source of the leak. No stains on the exhaust. No drips. Nothing at all to indicate a leak.

Fluid levels are good; transmission oil stays full. Motor uses (maybe it's the tensioner as mentioned above?) about a quart every 5K miles. I just can't find the source.

One mechanic suggested a leaking shock absorber as a possibility, but mine are dry...

I'll look at the tensioner next.. If someone else has an idea, I'll look there as well...

Rear Seal ??

I experienced the same on my 07.

I would notice an burning oil smell at stop lights, or parking after riding a while.
Your bike may have a different problem, however you might want to:
1) Look at the bottom side of your catalytic converter, my RT had black streaks from the leaking oil.
2) I thought my oil pan was leaking at the split due to the oily film on the oil pan around the drain plug area.
I took it in for a diagnosis of the Failed ABS and they informed me that the rear seal was leaking.
The dealership changed out both the rear crankshaft seal and the counter ballance seal at the same time while they had the rear end pulled.
On the positve side of it all, for some reason it shifts better. ;)

I wish you well.

Last edited:
stains on the exhaust.

You say oil burn are you sure its not the clutch you are smelling?

Could be? Like I said it only happens when I am clutching a lot. This is my first BMW. I have never had any similar issues with other bikes I have owned. No sign of any oil leaks in suggested places.

I know my odor is not due to the clutch; it appears sometimes after long runs on the slab, as well as riding around town. Don't smell it all the time, but pretty frequently it's there. Also, a definite oil smell, not acrid like the clutch.

The clutch is hydraulic and could leak oil too. Then there are engine and transmission oil. They all have their distinct smells. You could dip a wire or similar in each liquid and burn it with a lighter to find if either matches what you are smelling. If you have any kind of leak you should be able to see the telltale signs, although I don't know how hidden the typical spots are on the RT due to the plastic. There are a good number of seals on those bikes where fluids could leak around the transmission, engine, gear potentiometer, clutch cylinder, and so on. The clutch itself can smell too, of course, so there are many variables.

I also have a 2007 RT with this issue. I have grime accumulated on the front cover of the engine and it drips occasionally on the exhaust pipe creating the smell. I also see occasional oil spots on the garage floor from this with similar oil consumption ~ 0.5 liter per 5000 miles. I am interested in knowing the typical failures that create this leak for this bike and any information on how to fix this. It doesn't seem to hurt anything but if there is a reason to be concerned, I would like to hear what that is.

On my 2012 RT it was the rear main seal. The dealer replaced that, the balance shaft seal, and the gearbox input shaft seal under warranty in October, and I've been oil-leak-free since then.

Back