• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ignition Trouble 2011 1200GS

mclintoc

Thursday, I rode to work. While there a little sleet, snow, ice mix fell. I had a lot of trouble getting the key in the ignition because it had froze. Eventually I could, and after several minutes of fiddling with it, I was finally able to get the bike to turn on.

I made it home, and I let the bike sit Friday, but I checked it today (the temp is well above freezing and it's been in the garage), and the metal piece that covers the key slot when the key isn't in it hasn't yet popped back up. I've put some WD-40 in it, but no good yet.

So, my questions:
1. any ideas for fixing this problem?
2. since the bike fires up fine, should I be concerned if the metal piece doesn't pop back up any time soon?

thanks for your help.

I guess this is what I get for riding in January

Ignition trouble 2011 bike (frozen key entry)

Thursday, I rode to work. While there a little sleet, snow, ice mix fell. I had a lot of trouble getting the key in the ignition because it had froze. Eventually I could, and after several minutes of fiddling with it, I was finally able to get the bike to turn on.

I made it home, and I let the bike sit Friday, but I checked it today (the temp is well above freezing and it's been in the garage), and the metal piece that covers the key slot when the key isn't in it hasn't yet popped back up. I've put some WD-40 in it, but no good yet.

So, my questions:
1. any ideas for fixing this problem?
2. since the bike fires up fine, should I be concerned if the metal piece doesn't pop back up any time soon?

thanks for your help.

I guess this is what I get for riding in January

I read once in Popular Mechanics that if your key lock was frozen to heat your key with a match/lighter..warm it enough so that when you stuck it against he lock, it would melt the ice.

Maybe this will help. Maybe not, but I hope so. Good luck!

spent a bunch of my life where locks froze. Here's the drill

The hot key trick works. Pliers and cigarette lighter. Heat heck out of it, may take a few tries. This loosens stucks tumblers pretty well. Covers normally don't stick to badly unless lock is gummed or corroded.

Lay off petroleum lubes including WD40. They leave sticky residues. Use graphite based lock lubes and just flood the lock with them a couple times every winter. WD40 is a prety good solvent for its own residues so you can use it to loosen any gummy petroleum stuff.

If the lock is so iced up notihng pentrates, squirt 90% or better alcohol (isopropyl or denatured ethyl) into it- it will cut the ice and leave no residue.

Back