• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'86 R80RT Paint 'n stuff

More candy

The fade and pinstripes came out better than I expected

Attachments

• IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 102
Fairing

The fairing's been delayed. A little touch-up was called for but you can see where it's going. I'll have it on Monday.

Attachments

• Fairing2.jpg
    Fairing2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 102
Cost?

Can you let us know about how much it all cost?

I am thinking of doing mine and want to do some comparison.

The Painter

Greg Hutchinson (some sort of MOA Ambassador with a Man Cave) pointed me to Rod'z Body Shop in Belmont, CA. Greg's had numerous paint jobs done there before but most of those guys didn't raid their kid's crayon box before going in. http://www.rodzbodyshop.com/

I showed Rod 2-tone R90 tanks and he said "aw man, I can't do that. That was back when they were using solvent based paints. All I can do is a hard line." I said, ok, let's just go stock red with pinstripes. At that point Rod said "Well, let me see what I can do. If you don't like it I'll paint it all red." He trusted his instincts and got a sweet result.

Price? Hmm... Overbudget, yes. Satisfaction level - the meter pegged out a while ago. Wait till you see it all put together.
Mike

Cost

Paint's going to be around 2K. What can I say? I live in California...

I go rattlecan on my FJ40 but that's another animal.

Mike McGrath
'86 R80RT
'79 FJ40

Greg Hutchinson (some sort of MOA Ambassador with a Man Cave) pointed me to Rod'z Body Shop in Belmont, CA.

Hey Mike, you're a local (so to speak)--except you're on the Peninsula (most likely), while I'm out in the East Bay. Anyway, paint looks great.

Hey Mike, you're a local (so to speak)--except you're on the Peninsula (most likely), while I'm out in the East Bay. Anyway, paint looks great.

Jeff, I'm over in San Carlos, halfway between SF and SJ. Thanks for the compliment about the paint. Can't wait to ride again.

From what I understand Holt is BMW authorized. If you bought new painted parts from BMW Holt did the painting. Thats what I heard a few years ago. His shop is not what you would expect for a BMW dealer.

Back