• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where to Leave the Auto and Trailer on a Trip

rderflin

Going to be trailering 2 bikes out to Colorado area in August and then ride for a few weeks. Where
is a safe place to park the trailer/auto when on a trip? What have most of you done in the past with
the auto/trailer if you want to leave it for a few days? I normally ride wherever I am going so the trailer
thing is something new. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks,

rderflin

You might try the Anonymous Book for the area you are visiting. A member might have an out of the way place you can leave your vehicle on their property.

Last edited:
Some larger campgrounds have storage space. People like to leave their trailers or motor homes there rather than drive them from home for each trip. It's not free but probably reasonably priced if you can find one.

As mentioned dealers are sometimes a good place, but I have found some hesitant, others open. Other resources are the Anonymous book, although some argue that is only for emergencies, it is worth a shot.

I have also gone to regional forums at ADV rider, spend a little time and read some posts to get a feel for the personality of a member or two, then polity PMed them, had good response that way. Also if you were not real picky exactly where in CO you started from, you could just throw a post up here or on ADV rider, I am sure you will get an offer or specific.

I have also found some motels accommodating, if you spend the first and last nights with them, particularity rural motels, with big parking areas, a camp ground would likely do the same. I have also just driven around an area to find a business with extra space and asked nicely, but that is usually only 3 day or so duration.

I always assure them I am not going to hold them responsible or damage or theft, and always pay with some adult beverages, and or a gift certificate to a local restaurant to show my appreciation.

That said, CO is a big state, and interesting, with some nice roads. BUT travel between the areas you want to see is .....well travel. I LOVE to ride, but hate to feel like I am traveling on 2 wheels, so a suggestion, find 3 of 4 places to make a "home base", be it motel, or Campground that are central to the areas you want to explore, there is no problem leaving the vehicle if staying there at night. Last year I did this staying in Idaho Springs, Granby, Fairplay and Paoinia. Worked out well as I did not have to pack up the bike with luggage and gear and could travel "light" on 2 wheels. Much better for fun in the twisty stuff. And it only takes me 15 minutes to load up. I was glad the bike was on the trailer, a few times in severe rain, at 35 degrees, and other times when it was 105??. That heat/AC sure is nice.

Try a self storage place. Most have auto and RV spaces.

At least you'll know it's behind a locked gate, someone usually checks on things a couple of times a day.

Use the anonymous book, you don't have to ask if they have space. Ask them if they have a place they can recommend. After all, it is their neighborhood, they can probably give you some ideas on where to store the vehicles.

If that doesn't work, you can store it at my place, but I am a little out of your way. ;)

Not that I'm in your area of interest but as an e.g., I'm in Anonymous and my pasture is out of sight/out of mind and would hold your trailer w/o any effort on my part-so ask farmers/ranchers in the area of CO where you desire to stay.

Don't know who your insurance is with but I've had good luck in the past asking the "local" State Farm agent if I could park for a few days. (My insurance is with SF). They've always been very accommodating but I imagine it'll vary office-office.

What about a Wal-Mart parking area? I understand that campers use them for overnights, etc. I am actually going to be doing the same thing this year, so this thread is timely for me. I have also thought about stopping at a local farmer and asking him if I could keep my rig there for a couple of nights. More than willing to pay $10 a day, etc. Finally, what about a big truck stop, like Pilot, etc.?

What do you do when you first arrive in CO? Stay in a hotel?
I have asked there if I could leave the rig in their parking lot and they have allowed me to.

Try a self storage place. Most have auto and RV spaces.

At least you'll know it's behind a locked gate, someone usually checks on things a couple of times a day.

I have done this. Paid $30 for two weeks. Was really nice not having to worry about my truck and trailer.

Motel

Wife and I trailered from Florida to nothwest Georgia, spent the night in a motel, left cage and trialer there by prior agreement with management, rode for several days, returned to the motel for another night, loaded up and trailered home. Trailer was locked to tongue, tongue was locked to receiver, trailer and cage were in a lighted, trafficed area where would-be miscreants couldn't tell if they were being watched --- very satisfactory if the trip can be planned with a first and last night in the same place.

Storage USA

I did this once. Called the Storage USA in the area.
Got space with security for two weeks for the price of one months rent.

Back