• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

/5 headlight

Attached a pic of my /5 headlight reflector and bulb holder. (Original type) Trying to figure out what is missing. In other words, what holds the bulb, bulb holder, and spring onto the reflector? Could have sworn I saw a pic on the web somewhere of what its supposed to look like, but can't find it now.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 130131_3580.jpg
    130131_3580.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 89
From MAXBMW's microfiche.

The bulb support [underside]. It engages tabs on the reflector and is held in place by the tension of the spring against the reflector (the bulb is "trapped" between this part and the reflector). A fractional turn of the support "locks" in place. This one is apparently a later replacement part (spring connector vs. spade connectors). The OEM reflector is NA.

Did this reflector come out of your bike? It doesn't look like an OEM part; the tab on the outside diameter (at 3:00) shouldn't be there.

63121351764_1_B.jpg

Another shot showing the tabs.

DSC01391.JPG

The reflector is made in Germany with a 1 305 313 902 stamped on it. The lens is a Bosch, so I am assuming it is original. It has no tabs for the the bulb holder to lock on to, nor do they look like they've been broken off. There are two small holes that I thought may be for a wire bail, even though I didn't really see how that would work, either. I seem to remember a wire bail involved in a BMW headlight somewhere....
This is from a 72 R60 junker I bought just for the headlight bucket and speedo. It was just hanging by the wires when I got it.

Attachments

• 130131_3581.jpg
    130131_3581.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 70
The number is not a part number...no headlight part for a /5 or even a /2 has that kind of number associated with it. No telling what the reflector really goes to.

Your tabs are broken off. That reflector looks correct - I just compared it to one I have the garage. It has this number on it

0303550000?2 (not sure about last 0)

If you need a reflector assembly I have one.

Just backing up EBEEBY's observation; the tabs are broken off. I converted to H4 and had my old OEM at the shop. The tab at the bottom IS there (memory is fading) and covered by the rubber gasket (that holds the lens onto the reflector.

IMG_4589_zpsa07c3fa7.jpg
IMG_4587_zps238c484d.jpg
IMG_4593_zpsbbc6a199.jpg
attachment.php

/ mod hat on /

Please, keep any buying/selling/trading off the tech forums. Either use PMs or go to the Flea Market.

Thanks...

/ mod hat off /

Back