• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grabby brakes R1200R

rapiddog

Barback King
2008 R1200R with <12K miles

I notice the first time I rode this bike how 'grabby' the front brake is on this bike on initial application.
Especially during slow speeds and around the parking lot maneuvers.

I'd expect a little more progressive feel.
I'm wondering if it's maybe the OEM pads.
I've flushed the brake fluid with no noticeable difference.

I'm going to try cleaning the rotors with a Scotchpad but I think I might look for some new, maybe softer pads this weekend.
Any suggestions on pads or insights on this?

I've had pretty good luck with SBS and EBC pads but I don't recall which ones...

Interesting.. I guess it depends on what bike you're coming from. The R1200R brakes for me have a nice feel with good initial bite (which might seem grabby IF you're coming from an older bike with less effective brakes.)

I'm currently running EBC HH pads front and rear and am happy with them, but they don't soften up the feel... Perhaps some organic pads might do that for you, and I believe EBC also offers those.

One thing - you're not using the rear brake pedal right? It isn't needed (and is actually counter-productive) due to the linked brakes. I only use the pedal on parking lot sort of stuff where I only want to use the rear brake for control.

No, not necessarily using the rear.
Scenario is like slow maneuvering around a parking lot at near walking speeds. Initial bite is abrupt where it shouldn't be.
Another like backing down a driveway, it's a grabby 'bite' that shouldn't be so harsh.

I just came off a whizzy brake R12RT. Iy had great brakes but not as good in feel as the R12R.
Really like the brake on the R alot.

This bike has very good, dare I say supah-better in feel and stopping power in a linear fashion.
But, at the lever the first 1/4 of the pull is kind of null, doesn't do alot, then the real brakage comes in on the rest of the pull.

Back