• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013GSA Last of its kind!

Ive been riding those complex electified, injectified and computerised bikes for sixteen years and have not once had to do any roadside repairs - trail damage excluded. Seems reliable enough to me. :thumb

If you have to work on it while your out riding, maybe it's time to move up to something more advanced. :p

To an airhead the costs of service are high on their radar of owning and riding. Actually working on yer own ride has been part of the, dare I say it, zen of motorcycling. As technology races forward, as visits to the dealer service department stagger the pocketbook, as gizmos, electro-thingamajigs proliferate design, some riders viscerally connect with their rides while scratching their heads considering mounting a wet clutch in front of the crankshaft, then taking the drive through a balance shaft decades after airheads dominated Paris Dakar. What's could possibly follow? A sealed lithium battery in the fuel tank? Hey it's winter and ya gotta think about something. Especially after sixty.

Ive been riding those complex electified, injectified and computerised bikes for sixteen years and have not once had to do any roadside repairs - trail damage excluded. Seems reliable enough to me. :thumb

If you have to work on it while your out riding, maybe it's time to move up to something more advanced. :p

That was suppose to be the husaberg for me... 70deg motor, fuel injection, computer, sensors.... Two fuel pumps later I will stick to carburetor for the 25km into the nowhere trail that can hard be walked on. Love the performance but as they make these components smaller and lighter the dependability is just not there... Glad to hear that people have faith in the newer BMWs.

Btw a air head has never left me walking.... On the on other hand a k100 once took about 1/2 hr at a border crossing before it became unconfused enough to start.

Another thing for me is at 120kph I feel I am klipping along pretty good on the R100gs, with 50+ over the limit deemed as racing with court and likely 5000 fines in ontario... I don't trust myself with bikes that feel like they should cruise at 160 like the k100rs I had.

1st year?

The new "water buffalo" Beemer, bringing back a very old 750 Suzuki legend(first water'd bike way back), will be another FIRST year BMW thing! I did this in 1995 with a GS1100. I rode it 97000 miles before it sold easily, BUT it had dozens of engine issues throughout the 5 years I owned it!!! NOW, BMW does it again? I will never likely buy another 1st year BMW anything, letting all you test ride the bugs out for a few years:). It WILL have bugs, you'd "better" believe it...The changes made to the new GS twin are huge and many indeed and surely NOT proven. Risky business, but VERY cutting edge by BMW. Randy

The new "water buffalo" Beemer, bringing back a very old 750 Suzuki legend(first water'd bike way back), will be another FIRST year BMW thing! I did this in 1995 with a GS1100. I rode it 97000 miles before it sold easily, BUT it had dozens of engine issues throughout the 5 years I owned it!!! NOW, BMW does it again? I will never likely buy another 1st year BMW anything, letting all you test ride the bugs out for a few years:). It WILL have bugs, you'd "better" believe it...The changes made to the new GS twin are huge and many indeed and surely NOT proven. Risky business, but VERY cutting edge by BMW. Randy

I might hope to find a good deal on a leftover or slightly used final year GSA. That would be the ticket.

Back