Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Advice needed for Custom Low Seat option for 1200RT

Another Option.........

I have a 2009 R1200RT with low seat, low suspension because I am inseam challenged, but
    found that the low seat was just too uncomfortable to tolerate. I sent the seat pan in to
    Russell and had a custom built Russell Day Long seat made and I love it, it did raise me up
    about another inch and a half to 2 inches which I didn't like so much. I read on these boards
    where someone with a similar problem took his riding boots to a local cobbler and had him add
    some height to the soles of his boots..........that's what I did, I added 3/4 of an inch and it
    worked like a charm, I've got both the comfort and control that I want. Something to consider
    when you are looking at custom saddles. Good luck.

Advice needed for Custom Low Seat option for 1200RT

What style of boot are you wearing Beemeup? (Brand and model would be great) I I took both of the pairs of boots that I own to a local shoe repair shop and they told me that couldn't be done to them because the soles were "welded" and not sewn.
    -Steve
    R1200RTw San Marino Blue - 2009 Gillera Fucco

Hammam
    Quote Originally Posted by PianomanLA View Post
    Yes, obviously, BMW tolerances ARE better, at least for the front. For the lower part, they seem to be about the same. Send those photos to Sargent, and see.

Curiously, MY RT seat doesn't fit quite as tightly in front as yours. There seems to be variations.

Advice needed for Custom Low Seat option for 1200RT

hamman, the BMW seat was a "low seat". I also have a "standard seat" that I can put on this evening for further comparison. Have you seen anyone with any positive ( or negative for that matter) experience with the low Corbin seat?
    -Steve
    R1200RTw San Marino Blue - 2009 Gillera Fucco

Hammam
    hamman, the BMW seat was a "low seat". I also have a "standard seat" that I can put on this evening for further comparison. Have you seen anyone with any positive ( or negative for that matter) experience with the low Corbin seat?
    I'm referring to the standard seat on my RT. The gap in front seems to be a bit wider that with your low seat.

I have no experience or knowledge about the Corbin seat. Might be worth to do a search.

seat nirvana

Thanks for your input... By the way, who did your custom seat...?
    I bought my seat from Rick Mayer. Overall I am 95% satisfied. I may look for an adjustment next time I am in CA of an additional layer of padding since the bike is now low enough for me. I don't think you can go wrong with any aftermarket seatmaker, RDL, either of the Mayers, Rich's. The stock BMW low seat is that bad.

But first you will need to deal with the seat height issue. Good luck to you.
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

Quote Originally Posted by wvpc View Post
    I bought my seat from Rick Mayer. Overall I am 95% satisfied. I may look for an adjustment next time I am in CA of an additional layer of padding since the bike is now low enough for me. I don't think you can go wrong with any aftermarket seatmaker, RDL, either of the Mayers, Rich's. The stock BMW low seat is that bad.

But first you will need to deal with the seat height issue. Good luck to you.
    In my opinion ... Rick Mayer seems to have more consistently happy customers as compared to Bill (Rocky) Mayer saddles. I have ridden on both, and the comfort and quality seemed higher on the Rick Mayer saddle.

Boots

I have BMW All-Around Boots, my cobbler said the same thing, but said he could do it with these. Problem solved for $90.

boots 004.jpg

Retired User
    As I have posted on a different thread, the BMW low seat was the most painful I have ever ridden. I now have a Corbin 1-piece low seat on my factory lowered RT and I ride 400-500 mile days in comfort.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT