• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Advice needed for Custom Low Seat option for 1200RT

pianomanla

I have a 2012 1200RT that I purchased a few months ago. The bike was on the showroom floor when I bought it and was standard suspension with a regular seat. Before taking delivery, I swapped the seat for the extra low seat and was quite confident in riding the bike as far as control and maneuvering is concerned, but very uncomfortable in terms of riding comfort for trip longer than 45-50 miles. I have put a little over 2500 miles on the extra-low seat.

A month ago, I picked up an OEM low-heated seat, hoping to be able to ride more comfortably (a little more padding and I was able to get my heated seat), however, I have been very disappointed with the comfort level in the low seat. Frankly, I find the extra-low seat to be more comfortable than the low seat. This is my opinion after over 800 miles on the low seat, including one 300 mile day that left me sore for several days.

I ordered a low-heated Sargent seat last week and was very excited when the box arrived this morning. Opening the box that was filled with packing peanuts was like Christmas morning, until I pulled the seat out and it felt pounds lighter than the OEM seat and the padding bottomed out to the plastic seat pan with very little effort from my fingers.

I spent the rest of the afternoon hoping that my first impressions were wrong and that all would be comfy when I put the seat on the bike. The next disappointment was the fact that nothing was mentioned about having to splice the original heat cable on the bike and put on a Sargent proprietary connector. This is a major oversight on Sargent's part and not in the spirit of full disclosure.

My next disappointment came after the seat was on the bike (not including the heat part yet...) and seeing how poor the tolerances are in comparison to the oem seats. I thought that perhaps I had not gotten the seat properly situated in the mounts, but after three attempts to reposition it with the same results, I have concluded that this is simply the way it is.

I could perhaps overlook all of these concerns if only it would deliver to me the promised comfort that I had been hoping for... It is pissing rain right now and my next chance to ride will not be until the weekend, however, sitting on the bike for a few minutes leads me to believe that this will be no better than what I already had. I feel as though the seat bottoms out immediately and that there is only the thinnest layer of padding. I do appreciate however the wider platform that gives a little more support across my entire, eh, seat.

Before I purchased the Sargent, I called two of the three Mayer guys, and had decided to go with the "day long" saddle, until I spoke with the sales rep on the phone regarding the seat height, and they told me that the seat height would be at least 2 inches TALLER than what I already have. This ruled them out as an option immediately.

I wont know for certain until the weekend if my suspicions are correct about the Sargent needing to be returned for a refund. Where do I go from here?

Thanks for you help in advance!
photo 1.jpg

Ride the Sargent

Pianoman,

Since you have the Sargent on the bike you will need to evaluate it for comfort, height, etc. If it doesn't work for you I would try to return it.

You don't mention your inseam length. If your inseam is less than 29" you are probably not going to get the RT to work for you at the stock height even with the low seat. DAMHIK. Sure, you can balance on one foot at stoplights/signs but when you try stop on uneven surfaces (especially 2 up loaded) things can and do get dicey.

I have a '12 RT Non ESA, stock height/low seat and needed a more comfortable seat. I thought I could "kill two birds with one stone" by ordering a custom seat for comfort and also have the seat lower me enough to flatfoot it 2 up loaded. I ordered the seat and it was much more comfortable but not low enough.

I had to bite the bullet for shorter shocks. Also I needed a shorter sidestand and while I am in there the shorter centerstand.

So because of my failure to order my bike properly from the dealer (get the low suspension option) I now needed an additional $1800 to make it right.

So now what I have is a bike that is the proper height for me, handles and rides much better than stock, has a much more adjustable suspension, is rebuildable and parks just like the stocker. Was it worth it? Yes! Did it hurt. Yes!!

Maybe I can recoup some of the expense thru the FleaMarket (hint: my stock height shocks and stands are listed).

I think you need to get the bike right sized for you first then go after that big comfy seat. You will be rewarded for your effort.

I have a 2012 1200RT that I purchased a few months ago. The bike was on the showroom floor when I bought it and was standard suspension with a regular seat. Before taking delivery, I swapped the seat for the extra low seat and was quite confident in riding the bike as far as control and maneuvering is concerned, but very uncomfortable in terms of riding comfort for trip longer than 45-50 miles. I have put a little over 2500 miles on the extra-low seat.

A month ago, I picked up an OEM low-heated seat, hoping to be able to ride more comfortably (a little more padding and I was able to get my heated seat), however, I have been very disappointed with the comfort level in the low seat. Frankly, I find the extra-low seat to be more comfortable than the low seat. This is my opinion after over 800 miles on the low seat, including one 300 mile day that left me sore for several days.

I ordered a low-heated Sargent seat last week and was very excited when the box arrived this morning. Opening the box that was filled with packing peanuts was like Christmas morning, until I pulled the seat out and it felt pounds lighter than the OEM seat and the padding bottomed out to the plastic seat pan with very little effort from my fingers.

I spent the rest of the afternoon hoping that my first impressions were wrong and that all would be comfy when I put the seat on the bike. The next disappointment was the fact that nothing was mentioned about having to splice the original heat cable on the bike and put on a Sargent proprietary connector. This is a major oversight on Sargent's part and not in the spirit of full disclosure.

My next disappointment came after the seat was on the bike (not including the heat part yet...) and seeing how poor the tolerances are in comparison to the oem seats. I thought that perhaps I had not gotten the seat properly situated in the mounts, but after three attempts to reposition it with the same results, I have concluded that this is simply the way it is.

I could perhaps overlook all of these concerns if only it would deliver to me the promised comfort that I had been hoping for... It is pissing rain right now and my next chance to ride will not be until the weekend, however, sitting on the bike for a few minutes leads me to believe that this will be no better than what I already had. I feel as though the seat bottoms out immediately and that there is only the thinnest layer of padding. I do appreciate however the wider platform that gives a little more support across my entire, eh, seat.

Before I purchased the Sargent, I called two of the three Mayer guys, and had decided to go with the "day long" saddle, until I spoke with the sales rep on the phone regarding the seat height, and they told me that the seat height would be at least 2 inches TALLER than what I already have. This ruled them out as an option immediately.

I wont know for certain until the weekend if my suspicions are correct about the Sargent needing to be returned for a refund. Where do I go from here?

Thanks for you help in advance!
View attachment 37388
I am very surprised that you get this from Sargent. I had a Sargent low on my 2009 GS, and was very happy with the craftmanship, the fit, the comfort. And their customer service has been top. The edge of the seat material became a bit frayed at one point, so I sent the seat back to Sargent over the winter and they repaired it, no charge, ni shipping, no questions asked. And I am looking into a low heated for my RT.

I would get in touch with them and expose the problems. Maybe you will have to send the seat back for fixing. I am sure they will promptly satisfy you.

But this bit with a proprietary Sargent connector has me worried.

Pianoman,

Since you have the Sargent on the bike you will need to evaluate it for comfort, height, etc. If it doesn't work for you I would try to return it.

That is certainly my plan wvpc...

You don't mention your inseam length. If your inseam is less than 29" you are probably not going to get the RT to work for you at the stock height even with the low seat. DAMHIK. Sure, you can balance on one foot at stoplights/signs but when you try stop on uneven surfaces (especially 2 up loaded) things can and do get dicey.

My inseam is 28.5", on the borderline I know, but that is why I opted to go with the regular suspension so as to retain the ESA. (I love that feature and use it more than I thought I would.) I don't need both feet flat footed, but I need more than to be able to balance with only one foot.

I have a '12 RT Non ESA, stock height/low seat and needed a more comfortable seat. I thought I could "kill two birds with one stone" by ordering a custom seat for comfort and also have the seat lower me enough to flatfoot it 2 up loaded. I ordered the seat and it was much more comfortable but not low enough.

I am hoping to find a seat option that increases the level of comfort, without increasing the seat height beyond the 30.7"

I had to bite the bullet for shorter shocks.
I think you need to get the bike right sized for you first then go after that big comfy seat. You will be rewarded for your effort.

Thanks for your input... By the way, who did your custom seat...?

I am very surprised that you get this from Sargent...

I would get in touch with them and expose the problems. Maybe you will have to send the seat back for fixing. I am sure they will promptly satisfy you.

But this bit with a proprietary Sargent connector has me worried.

I am equally surprised after reading a number of positive online reviews and looking at the product "glamour shots" on their webpage. I am going to put a few hundred miles on it (weather and comfort level permitting) this weekend and call them on Monday. The lack of "precise fit" is so disappointing and incongruent with the rest of the bike, I am not sure that I will keep it even if it is an improvement over the stock seat.

photo 5.jpg

I am equally surprised after reading a number of positive online reviews and looking at the product "glamour shots" on their webpage. I am going to put a few hundred miles on it (weather and comfort level permitting) this weekend and call them on Monday. The lack of "precise fit" is so disappointing and incongruent with the rest of the bike, I am not sure that I will keep it even if it is an improvement over the stock seat.

View attachment 37393
Did you check the fitment of the original BMW seat as closely as you did the Sargent? Maybe the tolerances are not that much better.

That is a very fair point hamman... I have a few photos that I will upload to show the differences. Please let me know if I have unrealistic expectations...

Another Option.........

I have a 2009 R1200RT with low seat, low suspension because I am inseam challenged, but
found that the low seat was just too uncomfortable to tolerate. I sent the seat pan in to
Russell and had a custom built Russell Day Long seat made and I love it, it did raise me up
about another inch and a half to 2 inches which I didn't like so much. I read on these boards
where someone with a similar problem took his riding boots to a local cobbler and had him add
some height to the soles of his boots..........that's what I did, I added 3/4 of an inch and it
worked like a charm, I've got both the comfort and control that I want. Something to consider
when you are looking at custom saddles. Good luck.

What style of boot are you wearing Beemeup? (Brand and model would be great) I I took both of the pairs of boots that I own to a local shoe repair shop and they told me that couldn't be done to them because the soles were "welded" and not sewn.

hamman, the BMW seat was a "low seat". I also have a "standard seat" that I can put on this evening for further comparison. Have you seen anyone with any positive ( or negative for that matter) experience with the low Corbin seat?

hamman, the BMW seat was a "low seat". I also have a "standard seat" that I can put on this evening for further comparison. Have you seen anyone with any positive ( or negative for that matter) experience with the low Corbin seat?

I'm referring to the standard seat on my RT. The gap in front seems to be a bit wider that with your low seat.

I have no experience or knowledge about the Corbin seat. Might be worth to do a search.

Back