• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Petro Canada fuel and R1200 RT

Hammam

There is only one fuel company in Canada that offers the 95 Pon (98 Ron) octane rating recommended by BMW as the best for our twin boxers and that is Petro Canada (and Sunoco in the US.) Now, Petro Can. 98 has an additive called Tactrol. Can somebody tell me if this is bad for our engines? I heard the chief mechanic at my dealer's say it was crap and to stay away from it, but I'd like a second opinion. Thank you.

That stuff is supposed to clean the engine and, I assume, the fuel injection.
Also, if a PetroCanada station is not selling 94 octane, then the 91 is ethanol free.

There is only one fuel company in Canada that offers the 95 Pon (98 Ron) octane rating recommended by BMW as the best for our twin boxers and that is Petro Canada (and Sunoco in the US.) Now, Petro Can. 98 has an additive called Tactrol. Can somebody tell me if this is bad for our engines? I heard the chief mechanic at my dealer's say it was crap and to stay away from it, but I'd like a second opinion. Thank you.

What part of Canada? The west has Chevron with the high test and techron.

I don't go to Petro Can, it is owned by China! Research it.

I am in Quebec.

I have no reason to believe that Petro Can. is owned by China. I'd be more than happy if you could point me to that information. And even if it was, so what? You have any idea of the number of companies in you every day life that are owned by foreign conglomorates? This global economy, my friend.

Is there ethanol in Petro Can. 94 on top of Tactrol?

That is how I understand it. I wrote to PetroCanada and asked them about their gas. Up to 10% ethanol in all gas if they are selling the 94 octane at the station. If no 94 octane, then the 91 octane is ethanol free. Tractrol seems to be in all the gas at all stations. If you want further information, or possible corrections to this, you can write to Petrocanada. They could give you more information about Tractrol also.

Good afternoon,

I am not trying to start a flame, but I really wish people wouldn't make comments that are full of BS. Petro Canada was owned by the Canadian Federal Government till it was sold to Suncor Energy. Yes, the Chinese have money invested in Suncor as they do in every other Oil & Gas company. Nexen Energy is owned by CNOCC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation).
This is totally irrelevant to the octane rating needed to make our R1200 run better.

The Canadian version of Sunoco, now Petro-Canada always had ethanol in the 94 octane. Where I am in Ontario, Shell, and a few independents are the only stations without ethanol in the premium fuel. I try to get most of my fuel from a small independent in Markdale ON who has all grades of fuel without ethanol. I've run the Shell 91 or the Dairy Daughter's almost exclusively in the RT and the Turbo and they seem to love it.

As with all fuel threads, YMMV and your experience may differ from mine.

I have always tried to use Shell V Power in Ontario as the pump says that it is ethanol free. When speaking to a mechanic at the January Toronto Bike Show, he said that as of 2013, Shell V Power is ethanol free in all provinces. I'll be checking the stats at the other provinces' Shell stations this summer.

Fuel

Ionly use Shell in all my vintage bikes, cars, trucks and R1200gs and have no intention of changing whilever they dont put that ethanol crap in their petrol...
Al

Back