• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 gs

Back in November. Even swung a leg over it while it was on the center stand. I suspect my back account is going to take a hit once I get a chance to test ride the bike.

I saw the liquid cooled GS at the Minneapolis show. I got there early on Friday so I had a chance to spend some time at the BMW display before it got busy. My impression was that the bike looked every bit like the premium piece I expected. I was a little surprised though that with the unit construction of the engine, transmission, alternator that it wasnÔÇÖt more compact. There was a BMW Motorrad rep standing next to it who seemed knowledgeable, so I asked him if there was anything new about the final drive, other then the fact it was located on the other side. He said it (final drive) was all new inside, and that the only reason it was moved, was to place the exhaust on the right side of the bike. Because GS riders often have to push their bikes, and do so from the left side, the exhaust pipe would melt their pants.

To me, the final drive looked exactly the same from the outside, so when I was leaving the show, just for grins, I asked another Motorrad rep about the final drive. He said; no, itÔÇÖs the same, we just moved it to the opposite side. So there ya go, after talking to two BMW reps I know just as much about the final drive as I did when I arrived.

Another bike I spent some time looking over was the F800GT, nicely done BMW!!

Bill

Yes, at Long Beach in December. I had a few questions about it, and neither Jim Hyde nor the alleged "tech" guy could answer them. Nice looking machine, but I always thought off-roaders wanted fewer things that might fail...

I'm going to give it a model year or two, and see what the reliability factor turns out to be, given the all-new design. That's why I went ahead and bought the 2012. Well, that and I think the Rallye paint scheme is cool... :)

Back