• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Lock Question

KJ6OCL

Geoxman
I have been using the helmet locking devise that mounts under the license plate frame and holds two helmets. This lock utilized the "D" rings to lock the helmets. I really enjoy being able to lock the helmet(s) to the bike, as I hate carrying it around. This system has worked well for me!

I just recently purchased a Nolan N90 without realizing that there would be no "D" rings (the N90 uses the Nolan microlock strap) with which to lock the helmet to the bike. Any one out there find away to resolve this issue? If so, I'd sure appreciate knowing how you have accomplished it.

You could also find a shortish (say ~12") length of plastic-coated wire cable with loops in both ends. Open the helmet, run the cable between the mandible and the cranium portions of the helmet, and put the loops through a ring on the locking device.

Last edited:
As always a wealth of good information out there!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll research and I'm sure at least one of these ideas will fit my needs.

Google 'helmet lock extender' and you will see a flat steel 'T' shaped piece with a hole at the end of the stem. I had to use a file to remove a bit of material from each edge of the stem before it would slip through the end of my Nolan's clasp. I leave it attached to the bikes wire lock so it is always there when needed.

Bolt Lock

Greetings !

I've used the Bolt Lock helmet kit for years. I loop through the chinbar on the helmet, run the free end through the sleeve of my 'Stich and into the lock using the 6' cable. I found that the bolt behind the passenger footpeg to be a perfect size and location on my '04 R1150RT.

I have the same double D lock plate on my bike. I had the same problem when I switched to the Shuberth helmet. A small piece of coated cable through the visor and around the chin piece fixed the problem. I think I found the cable at REI for 4-6 bucks?
John

Bicycle stores sell small combination cable locks that can be fed through the visor opening and attached to the bike. Make sure to get one with click stops for the combination numbers. These are easier to use because once a combination number is selected it doesn't move as you dial the rest of the numbers.

Thanks to all of you for your great ideas! I have researched all these ideas and how they fit into my riding and life style. I actually have a gun cable lock that I no longer use, which would make it the least expensive way to go. However, I have ordered the pair of helmet lock extenders. These present no additional requirements for storage, as the can stay (100% of the time) on my existing helmet lock device (the type that mounts under the license plate frame and can lock two helmets for when I ride two up) and they are sold in pairs so both helmets are taken care of when I ride two up. When I receive them, I'll let you know how I like them.

Thanks!

I received my Helmet lock extensions yesterday. This morning, I took one of them to the grinder and ground off about 3/32" off one edge. Then a minute with the wire wheel to smooth it all out. The extender slides though the Nolan microlock smoothly. An added benefit is that I can keep the extender on my helmet lock 24/7 so that I don't have to go looking for it, or find a place to store it, etc. A great ~$13 fix.

Back