• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

Heading to Hayfork Sunday morning from the SF Bay area

Hayforkers, :wave

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone Sunday evening in Hayfork. I'm leaving from the Bay Area Sunday morning if anyone wants to meet up along the way.
My conact info; 408.772.4363 (Cell, text) or via email at 'email.bill.marks@gmail.com'.

-Bill

No Scorebook in Grangeville, ID

120 riders have signed up. :thumb

If you don't have a scorebook by the end of the day on Sunday, July 7, post here please, or send me a PM with your name, email and mobile phone number.

Post here to say where you're starting from... it's worth some GS BS points. :evil

Hi Ian-

I have not seen a scorebook. I sent you an email.

I have not decided between Kamiah or Haysfork as a starting point. One of the great things about riding in Idaho is the lack of people. I took a (2-up) ride in the mountains here Sunday. In six hours we saw 3 vehicles!

Jim Paradiso
208-983-8364

Jim - please check your e-mail, and if you don't have one then both that have been sent are in your SPAM filter.

Ian

Big Thank you!

This was my first rally and first GS ride. I met up with the folks in Hayfork and followed the GS route given to Salem (option 1). All I can say is that it was FANTASTIC! The on-road route was perfect, the offroad portions just right, and the camp sites were great.

I just want to thank everyone involved with setting this up and making it a great trip. And thanks to the forum I was able to meet up with another GSer in San Francisco and have a partner to ride up to the rally with, (thanks Randy!)

-Bill

The GS Giant says thanks!

Hi everyone!

Everyone had a huge time at The GS Giant event in Oregon. Sorry for taking so long to write, but I've been off the grid in places like Hells Canyon and the Lolo Motorway over the past week.

Over 150 people registered, and at least 30 other riders sign up during the event.

The four GS Gypsy Tours were very well attended, with rides starting from CA, ID, NV and WA. Over the past week I've ridden portions of the routes myself... great stuff!

The results

Mr. Claude Gagne from Quebec, Canada is The GS Giant for 2013.
Tad Haas was second for overall
Terry "Did I look pro?" Rance was third

Chad Yo s h i tomi of Alaska finished 1st on the GS Giant's Adventure Track
Felipe Maisonnave of Uruguay was 2nd
Brian Bennett of California rode a strong 3rd.

Big kudos go out to Claude, who showed what adventure riding is about. He rode the Gypsy Tour from Idaho, got the Hells Canyon GS BS points, volunteered at the event, rode very well on the track, and shared the love on-line with his friends.

The Volunteers

At the event, volunteers helped set up the show, build the track, lead day rides, shoot pictures, pick up bikes, judge the competition, put on seminars and clean up afterwards. I know I am going to miss someone, but BIG thanks go out to:

Nicole Beachboard - Route Maker and Ride Leader, Women-only ride
Linnea Alvord - Ride Leader, Women-only ride
Colleen Sepulveda - Ride Leader, Women-only ride
Steve Miller - Oregon Route Guru
Claude Gagne - Ride Leader, Opal Creek Day Ride
Jason Slutsky - Ride Leader, Opal Creek Day Ride
Russ Kruse - Track Judge and general help
Jim Kalahan - Track Judge and general help
Gary Nesmith - Track Judge and general help
Mike Cornett - Track Judge and general help
Jerry Matson - Scorekeeper
Dick Kreutzer - Scorekeeper backup
Coach Ramey Stroud - Training, Seminars, Track design
Clayton Anderson - GS Giants dude, sign up new members, make the mud, run the motorbike games
Matt Mahmet - GS Giants dude, general help
Randy Owens - GS Giants dude, CA Gypsy Tour kitten herder
Phil Anderson - general help
Gerd Kolbenschlag - general help
Steve Swenning - Photographer
Lynn Camp - Photographer
Tad Haas and Gaila Guitierrez - Seminar
Dan Townsley - Seminar
Grant and Susan Johnson - Seminar
Erik Stephens - Seminar
Paul Guillien - Seminar
Harold Olaf Cecil - Seminar
Klaus Huenecke - Seminar

Certainly I've forgotten someone, and I apologize if I did, so please reply to this e-mail asap if you volunteered. I am working on an article for the BMW ON, and in Facebook and Forums and you need to be included.

Event photos

Speaking of articles, we need photos of the event. I've shot a few and we'd love to see your view of the event, too.

If you'd like to upload some photos, >>>please do it within the next 5 days<<< by clicking this link:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/guest/wkvz7b/EventPhotos

To upload, drag photo files from your Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) to the area that shows up in your browser. Please upload only the original-size images, do not scale them to smaller sizes. After uploading, use the Comment tool to enter your information so that you can be credited when your photo is used.

VERY IMPORTANT

Please take a moment to thank our sponsors and prize contributors.

The GS Giant was sponsored by the BMW MOA and The GS Giants club. Please write to board@bmwmoa.org and communications@gsgiants.com to share your thoughts about the event. It is extremely important that they receive your feedback, so I would appreciate you taking a few minutes to do this.

And these fine companies donated prizes for The GS Giant event:

- Black Dog Cycle Works
- Giant Loop
- Happy Trail Products
- Klim USA
- Machineart Moto
- Puget Sound Safety Off Road
- Twisted Throttle

Please also take a moment to write and thank them for their generosity in donating prizes.

Well, keeping it as brief as possible here, I hope everyone had a good time and remembers to:

- Thank The GS Giant on his Facebook Page
- Join the GS Giants Facebook Group
- Join the GS Giants club at www.gsgiants.com and getcha a cool sticker
- Post about the event on ADVrider and in this thread here in the BMW MOA forum.

Hope to see you all soon out on the trail.

Ian

Last edited:
Ian on the cover of ON

I just pulled the August issue of the ON from my mailbox and instantly recognized the rider on the cover. That GS Giant physique is unmistakable.:D

Last edited:
Oh, that is not the GS Giant on the cover of BMW ON.

The GS Giant is Mr. Claude Gagne, from Canada.

Says so right here.... :nod

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 98
Randy"Polarbear"Home:)

Just got home from an extended journey on my GSA to the "Top of the World":). Yep, rode my GSA from Salem to Pruhdoe Bay and Arctic Ocean, a very long ways North. Been on my list of to do rides so long, just completed it. THANKS for all that came along in Hayfork for the pre rally rides. 20+ riders were in that camp:). I sure enjoyed the great company. My first trip to Alaska after a GREAT rally in Salem, was icing on my cake and took me to new adventure beyond dreams on my GSA. The road North of the Arctic Circle is beyond words and 360miles above the circle gets you everything you may expect. Mud, rain, wind and a real messy GSA that takes much much cleaning! My bike had no failures at all, even packed with all my touring gear, camping stuff and heavily laden, 950lbs. with me on her! Bikers from all the world were there en route also and many had broken bikes(all brands dual sport)of some sort or another. My GSA I love, got me there and back and I too had doubts it would survive the rough terrain up there. I worked this bike hard and what a hoot we had:). I rode solo and shared the adventure with a fellow on a full dress HD I met, "Silver Eagle"model, which amazed me.... He made it also, no issues and indeed a minority on such a bike in those conditions. HDs are tougher than most think or lucky? Belt drive must have took a huge beating, but got that guy up and back. Nebraska was his home, so that's the ticket on a HD. Tough folks from there:). THANKS again for all that shared my adventures this year and more to come in years ahead. Pictures are coming, just several 100s to load up and video's too. Randy

So here's what all happened...

Sorry for this taking so long, got home from OR late last week and have been working on the print article covering the event.

Here's what happened.

GS Giants from all over rode across the great Pacific Northwest, starting their GS Gypsy Tours from point in California, Idaho, Nevada and Washington, all with a common destination: Salem, Oregon.

DSC01709-XL.jpg

IMG_4333-XL.jpg

P1080838-XL.jpg

IMG_4998-XL.jpg

Along the way, riders camped (or hoteled it?) together and had a great time making new friends

IMG_4325-XL.jpg

IMG_1967-XL.jpg

IMG_1969-XL.jpg

IMG_3837-XL.jpg

BMW%20Rally%202013%20171-XL.jpg

There were prizes to be won, earned through points for stopping at various GSBS Locations, shooting pictures and sharing them with friends. The scorebook contained routes, destinations and riding advice for riders of all skill levels.

IMG_1404-XL.jpg

IMG_4361-XL.jpg

IMG_2715-XL.jpg

image-XL.jpg

P1080825-XL.jpg

P1080809-XL.jpg

P1080812-XL.jpg

DSCN0052-XL.jpg

The rides were designed for larger enduros carrying camping gear, but every now and then a little extra adventure might get thrown in.

DSCN0044-XL.jpg

As the four rides converged, the rider-friendly Korner Post in Detroit Lake, OR was a spot to stop for lunch, and to prepare for the last Adventure Detour through the Opal Creek Scenic Recreation Area.

DSC_0099-XL.jpg

The swimming holes in Opal Creek were very cool?

IMG_4392-XL.jpg

Last edited:
A GPS was a handy thing to have, but it wasn't a requirement.

IMG_5033-XL.jpg

When the four rides met up at the BMW MOA rally, it appeared a lot of GS Giants had been out stomping around?.

DSC01771-XL.jpg

Picture0731131405_1-XL.jpg

The BMW MOA made a pretty nice budget available for building a track to ride during the event. And the track was indoors, and lighted.

IMG_3865-XL.jpg

011-IMG_3515-XL.jpg

Riders took to the track for practice, training, and of course, to figure out just what lines to take during the competition.

IMG_2491-XL.jpg

IMG_2504-XL.jpg

IMG_2508-XL.jpg

IMG_2655-XL.jpg

IMG_2612-XL.jpg

Fonsie_FelipeMaissonave-XL.jpg

Last edited:
During the competition, the action was intense

IMG_2522-XL.jpg

068-IMG_3578-XL.jpg

IMG_2549-XL.jpg

IMG_2579-XL.jpg

Fonsie_ChadYos-h-i-tomi.jpg

Fonsie_GregPSSOR.jpg

IMG_2609-XL.jpg

IMG_2557-XL.jpg

IMG_2648-XL.jpg

IMG_2655-XL.jpg

IMG_2678-X2.jpg

Professional announcers Shawn Thomas and Dylan Lane really made for a great show?

IMG_2664-XL.jpg

Fonsie_DylanLane.jpg

Last edited:
There was a whole lot of other stuff going on...

Tad Haas and Gaila Gutierrez gave a great seminar about their yearlong roundabout.

IMG_1482-XL.jpg

And Dan Townsley (DRTBYK) gave two unbelievably well-attended GPS seminars.

IMG_2686-XL.jpg

Coach Ramey Stroud gave demonstrations of adventure sidecars

IMG_2623-XL.jpg

Fonsie_Coach.jpg

Of course, GS Giants were out in force...

20130720-IMG_3264-XL.jpg

IMG_5133-XL.jpg

129-IMG_3669-XL.jpg

The women-only ride was led by three great women riders: (l-r) Colleen Sepulveda, Nicole Beachboard and Linnea Alvord.

IMG_2485-XL.jpg

IMG_2418-XL.jpg

20130719-IMG_3211-XL.jpg

20130719-IMG_3187-XL.jpg

IMG_3206ps-XL.jpg

20130719-IMG_3139-XL.jpg

What else can you say except "wahoo!"

279-IMG_3834-XL.jpg

IMG_2517-XL.jpg

Future%20GS%20Giant-XL.jpg

The 2013 GS Giant is Mr. Claude Gagne...

photo%204.jpg

IMG_4813-XL.jpg

Second overall, Tad Haas with Gaila Gutierrez

IMG_4873-XL.jpg

Third overall went to Mr. Terry "did I look Pro?" Rance

IMG_0505-XL.jpg

Winner on the track was Mr. Chad Yosh i tome, Anchorage, Alaska

Track%20Practice%20%28105%29%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

Mr. Felipe Maissonave of Uruguay was second on the track.

IMG_4862-XL.jpg

And Brian Bennett, Sacramento, California, was 3rd on the track

IMG_2610-XL.jpg

From what I hear, everyone had a great time! :nod

Me? My adventure started after the rally....

IMG_2754-XL.jpg

Nice work:)

I must take weeks to load this many pictures in MOA Forum? Just an overstatement from a virgin computer wiz:). NICE WORK, Ian and Friends, my extended family indeed. The level of BMWMOA Comraderie in GSGiants has never been bigger and spreads thru the entire org.:). Its a huge SMILE from those of us been around the block and the newfound members as well, I'm certain. Just wish we had more time together. Randy"Polarbear"

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

For taking the time to post all the pictures and narrative.

From where is sit, the GSGIANT is one of the best things that has happened since I've been around the MOA.

No one has more fun getting to the Rally and then having more fun once they are there.

Big thumbs up Ian!!!!!!!!

Just got home from an extended journey on my GSA to the "Top of the World":). Yep, rode my GSA from Salem to Pruhdoe Bay and Arctic Ocean, a very long ways North. Been on my list of to do rides so long, just completed it. THANKS for all that came along in Hayfork for the pre rally rides. 20+ riders were in that camp:). I sure enjoyed the great company. My first trip to Alaska after a GREAT rally in Salem, was icing on my cake and took me to new adventure beyond dreams on my GSA. The road North of the Arctic Circle is beyond words and 360miles above the circle gets you everything you may expect. Mud, rain, wind and a real messy GSA that takes much much cleaning! My bike had no failures at all, even packed with all my touring gear, camping stuff and heavily laden, 950lbs. with me on her! Bikers from all the world were there en route also and many had broken bikes(all brands dual sport)of some sort or another. My GSA I love, got me there and back and I too had doubts it would survive the rough terrain up there. I worked this bike hard and what a hoot we had:). I rode solo and shared the adventure with a fellow on a full dress HD I met, "Silver Eagle"model, which amazed me.... He made it also, no issues and indeed a minority on such a bike in those conditions. HDs are tougher than most think or lucky? Belt drive must have took a huge beating, but got that guy up and back. Nebraska was his home, so that's the ticket on a HD. Tough folks from there:). THANKS again for all that shared my adventures this year and more to come in years ahead. Pictures are coming, just several 100s to load up and video's too. Randy

Randy,

Can not wait to see your trip report. Fantastic effort on your part. :thumb

Thanks

Working hard at it right now, just adding new laptop to my rider gear for GSA. I am loading the data now and learning this new unit by HP, an 11.5 laptop with all the silicon valley has to offer, so I have sharing soon:). My GSA never took such a beating and dirt bath as the North Coast dished out and it took me near a week to clean it free of the debris attached in every nook and cranny on the bike. Probably never get it all, but she is pretty again from that mud bath we took. My riding gear too. Two things I found worked wonders getting Arctic mud off!!! WD40 and stainless steel wool! Without these two items, not used together, but both used to clean, I would have never got it all off. Another WD40 miracle:). Randy, "Polarbear"....I promise some sharing this trip very soon:). Many have been there ahead of me, but every trip something new its seems. I met riders from all the world up North, way above the arctic circle and we all shared some special times indeed. China, Brazil, Swiss, French and USA, Canada and most riding BMWs. So much to say and what to do in prep before one considers this. This too, been around by others in books. I read no books, just went with no reservations or anything. Blind riding into the abiss:). I carried my support camp gear and water and minmal food, that's it. One survives without all the need to know your room/place for the night. It works out. TOOLS, yep, gotta carry those, but I needed none. Many others did however, including BMWs. Seems most bikers that far North have something broke, needing repair. This GSA was spectacular and held up its end, to my ultimate respect of any bike ever owned by me. Happy Trails, later. Randy

Back