• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

by the way...

The GS Giant for 2013 will ride home with a nice new BMW Navigator IV GPS. :thumb

(makes it worth chasing down those GS BS points like the world's largest pig hairball, eh?

bmw-motorrad-navigator-iv-.jpg

Nice:)

I leave home very soon, tomorrow. Maybe I can get my playbook at rally. Not been able to do this well before rallies, searching for points. Guess I'm not a runner for first, but would love having the book anyways for my collection. I know Matt M. has the same idea, downloading it from the road somewhere, so maybe he and I can share his computer:), get mine too:). We meet in Ely,Nevada or GBNP soon, for riding "Ghost Towns"(Nevada) on our way to HAYFORK, via my home. IF anybody has any time frame that puts them around ELY, Nevada on the evening, July9th, find us:). ELY,NV. KOA Campground is our likely home for the night. GBNP is second choice. US50 crossing from ELY and cutoff just West of AustinNV for dirt byways, thru Reese Valley and IONE, NV Ghost town and West:). Bodie Ghost Town inside CA., off US395. Mostly gravel, not expected to be beyond intermediate level riding. BTW: HAYFORK, CA is our GS Giants pre Salem rendezvous, July14th for camping. You passing near us, you'd better stop and enjoy the company:). Pick a partner/share similar interests, ride North to Salem. HAYFORK is as promising an area in the depths of NCal wilderness, for riding Beemers as you'll find anywhere. Mt Shasta/Mt.Lassen loom to the East and the Redwoods NP to the West and even a direct North into Oregon route. The choices are all great from Hayfork and WE have the evening of the July14th to share our thoughts for the next few days to Salem:). What more can one ask for. Crater lake is a half day ride. State line is an hour. Redwoods NP, an hour+. Dozens of dirt byways too. NO dirt? Also dozens of paved, single track some along the Salmon River and Klamath R.. WATCH for the Bald Eagles there! They seem to love those rivers and fish:). I'll be out and about and my IPhone4 and email are my only links to 'MOA Land. 559-288-2555 and gsarbear@gmail.com Please feel free to use'em. I may be in wilderness, but will answer when I can. Randy

Question

2 days, 600 miles, true adventure riding

• Meet up in Kamiah, Idaho (west end of Lolo Pass) on Sunday, July 14
  • Ride through Hells Canyon on Monday, July 15
  • Meet for lunch at Hat Point in Hells Canyon and score mega GS BS points
  • Choose one of many campsites in Hells Canyon
  • Ride the Oregon Back Country on a superb adventure route, July 16
  • Ride up to Spanish Peak for more GS BS points
  • Camp out in the sticks, July 16.
  • Or be a Giant Wuss and get a hotel in Mitchell. :ha

From the end of this route, it's a nice day ride to Salem, where you can set up your camp at the rally.

You'll need to manage your fuel on this ride, and going with friends is advisable. :nod

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2756966/embed" height="750px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I am coming from the east to go to the rally and would like to join up with the meet up at Kamiah. Is it open for any GS riders to join in?

I'll be out and about and my IPhone4 and email are my only links to 'MOA Land. 559-288-2555 and gsarbear@gmail.com Please feel free to use'em. I may be in wilderness, but will answer when I can. Randy

Ohmigosh, the Polarbear's done gone high tech.

Randy - check your e-mail for a scorebook. Maybe you can play with it a little before you leave.

Ian

THANKS so much:)

I got your help, much thanks. Its in my hot little hand and packed for depart tonight at 10PM, crossing the Mojave at a reasonable time of day for HEAT escape! I cross into AZ by sunrise and on towards the Grand Canyon. May hang out in Flagstaff with friend for the afternoon. Then North to Canyon, both sides of it and into Utah89N and wiggle my way back to ELY, Nevada to meet Matt out of N.Hampshire, maybe Don too/Colorado and ride together back WEST and HAYFORK. We will rack up some BS stuff for sure, as I intend some off road ghosting about some ghost towns in Nevada coming back. JULY9th is our night in ELY at the KOA campground and its FINE camping there indeed. ANYBODY finding their way along our path, welcome, please come on in! JULY9 ELY, JULY14th HAYFORK and JULY17, SALEM, what a hoot:). Randy....I am off line here as of tonight 10PM, so goodbye for a while. 559-288-2555 OR gsarbear@gmail.com OR TEXT me, same number:). I only carry IPhone.

Just checked the forecast for Moab / Green River, UT area for next Thurs - 106 degrees. Guess who sleeping in a A/C hotel that night? I know I'm a whimp.

I'm overnight in Moab, UT at the Roadway Inn on July 11th and have a queen room if anyone is near there and needs a bed. Reserved a campsite in Ely at the KOA on the 12th and a site at the J and J Grizzly Store and Camping Resort on Sat nite. They say they have BBQ on Sat.:eat Then over to Hayfork.:burnout

Scorebooks go out tomorrow.

120 riders have signed up. :thumb

If you don't have a scorebook by the end of the day on Sunday, July 7, post here please, or send me a PM with your name, email and mobile phone number.

Post here to say where you're starting from... it's worth some GS BS points. :evil

Attachments

• 2013_GSG_ScorebookCover.jpg
    2013_GSG_ScorebookCover.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 116
Ok, Ian, I have been patiently watching and waiting, so now you have called me out. I will see you in Salem and be helping out there, as we have discussed. But to answer your challenge, I will be leaving Houston, TX on Wed, July 10th, heading west thru W Texas (what a joy!), up Hwy 191 to stay at Hannagan Meadows, west on 260 to Sedona, up to Flagstaff, to Las Vegas, Yosemite, and up to Hayfork, CA to meet up with Randy and his crew there.

Not sure about the timing yet, but I may be in Hayfork on Saturday night and depart before Randy's campout on Sunday evening. I am volunteering at the rally and need to be there on Wednesday. That means I need to arrive in Salem Tuesday evening. I think Randy is planning a 3 day ride from Hayfork to Salem. If you or Randy tell me I can make it in 2 days I will hang around till Sunday.

Anyway, not many people know or appreciate how much work you have put into these events (RA rally in NC and the MOA rally in Salem) but here's a quick thanks in advance for providing the opportunity for all of us to get together for such a great time.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Jerry M
Cypress (Houston), TX
2008 1200GS

Anyway, not many people know or appreciate how much work you have put into these events (RA rally in NC and the MOA rally in Salem) but here's a quick thanks in advance for providing the opportunity for all of us to get together for such a great time.

Damn straight! I've known Ian for years and the amount of time and dedication he puts into GS-related activities for the rest of us is amazing. I enjoyed watching the GS event at the RA rally (see photos at www.facebook.com/mortonsbmw), and when I get to the MOA rally, I'll be doing the same. One of these years, Ian may even get me to participate :)

'Til then, I'll be content just to see all you fellow GS-ers at the rally and on the road (and on the dirt). Ride safe, everybody!

Ian, departing Colorado Springs, CO on 11 July - Moab - Ely - IVO Portola, CA J and J Grizzly campground - Hayfork to rendezvous with Randy's crew. :dance

Scorebook Just Arrived

Getting excited about the Rally in a couple of weeks. I just got my scorebook from Ian and am trying to figure out which routes to take. I'll be riding 2-up with my wife, so sticking to more moderate dirt routes. Can't wait to meet you all in Salem or along the way.Cottonwood Pass.jpg

I received my downloads today. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in Asheville.... wait a minute, that's not right. In spite of the email, I guess I'll still plan on Salem. I hope I'm not the only one there. I know, cheap shot. Sorry, Ian. I'm leaving Raleigh, NC July 8. Three long days to Rapid City then Cody, WY for Chief Joseph Through Yellowstone to Kamiah on the 14th. I'm going to skip Beartooth this time, or maybe not. I'll have to see how the bike and I are holding up. Safe travels, all.
Doug

join a ride

hello from texas
my buddy and I will be in Portland Monday the 15th with our gsa's and we wanted to meet up with some of the giants that are heading to salem...do yall have an idea where you might be Tuesday morn? We would love to ride in with some of you west coast studs.

hello from texas
my buddy and I will be in Portland Monday the 15th with our gsa's and we wanted to meet up with some of the giants that are heading to salem...do yall have an idea where you might be Tuesday morn? We would love to ride in with some of you west coast studs.

The evening of the 15th, the WA riders will be meeting up at a campground near Leavenworth (east of Seattle). Tuesday morning, they will just be getting started, ride a nice bit of dirt road to Hood River, and hopefully they'll make it to somewhere along the Clackamas River by that evening.

Riders coming up from CA will be starting from near Grant's Pass on Tuesday morning.

Riders from NV will be near Steens Mountain.

And riders from ID will be out in the middle of nowhere depending on where they want to stop. Personally, I'd go for a campout near Hat Point in Hells Canyon. At least that is what I'll do on my way back home to Atlanta. :nod

Ian

Randy Crew:)

HAYFORK July 14 is easy one day to SALEM, BUT my group rides all about the S.Oregon en route for Wednesday Salem:). Please stop in Hayfork with us:). Matt and I are broke down in SLC,Utah at BMW Dealer fixing his GSA1150 shaft housing pivot bearings. WE rode the beginning Pony Express dirt byway here and found his bike squeeking a tad. Anyhow, dealer has us fixed tomorrow and West we come. Ive been out a week riding the SW, just GS Giant'in my GSA off:). Met Matt from NH and having some good fun. ELY, Nevada for us Wednesday night and Ghost town exploring across Nevada to California for HAYFORK:). See ya'll soon. Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear"

WA to Salem GS Giants Route details and attendees

Hi all. Trying to get more people to participate in thw WA to MOA option but struggling to find the details. Thought I saw and had, but seem to have gone MIA. Working with RideWest to get some more of their riders coming. Trying to connect with Stever Irby and Chris Vair, too. Tad

Meeting place for Monday night 15th?
Route / Tracks
Who is going?
What time leaving on Tuesday?
What time planned arrival on Thursday?

The evening of the 15th, the WA riders will be meeting up at a campground near Leavenworth (east of Seattle). Tuesday morning, they will just be getting started, ride a nice bit of dirt road to Hood River, and hopefully they'll make it to somewhere along the Clackamas River by that evening.

Riders coming up from CA will be starting from near Grant's Pass on Tuesday morning.

Riders from NV will be near Steens Mountain.

And riders from ID will be out in the middle of nowhere depending on where they want to stop. Personally, I'd go for a campout near Hat Point in Hells Canyon. At least that is what I'll do on my way back home to Atlanta. :nod

Ian

Back