• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

Got it!

Anyone know what day the woman's only GS ride will be? My wife wants to ride this but also take one of the Rider University courses, trying to deconflict.

Who would have thunk to look in the "Women of the MOA" thread... Duh...:banghead

Camping/NCal;

The N. Sierra has so many camp options, from free to pay big! Lake Almanor? I sure wont pay a fee like that for government campsite! Most are 10$ or less and even private camps are less, with showers. Lake Almanor is "very city" folk used area and pricey for that reason. The Bay Area migrates up there... Between Lake Tahoe and Shasta are many options on Hwy89 and I have stayed at a private campground about mid way a few years ago, nice. I cannot remember the exact name or locale, but ON 89 right about halfway between the above locales(N. of Lassen NP). I like my shower and pick that first in a campground. I stay plenty in the rough too. A GSA gets you to the backcountry, FREE camps, but one must have the spirit of camping this way. A LAKE or baby wipes are your only bath:). Works well. Saturday night for US will be a challenge to find campsites available/ filling up. IF possible, an early in the day find is best for camping, as late gets you no organized campground. Gorilla/GSGiant Camping:)...WE Will stay in touch as to where you are and we are obviously ahead of you in miles to get there. WE camp too Saturday somewhere, stay tuned and if I get a handle on where, I will pass it on:). YOU have the ability on the road to read messages/email??? My IPhone is mine. N.Tahoe for me is 350 miles and I like the region above there best for camping. TOWNS like Quincy,CA and the like are in that Hwy89 route, with plenty of camping ops:)... Chester and Mt.Lassen NP all along there. The PLUMAS NAT.Forest and LASSEN Nat.Forest cover that region, camping made easy. Start LOOKING just N. of Tahoe on Hwy89, Sierraville and North....A KOA exists in Shingletown, Hwy44, right off of Lassen NP to the West on Hwy44. Never been there. WE start looking "hard" to camp above Lake Tahoe somewhere, not likely to get that far North around Lassen. Maybe? Quincy area is our best bet...Randy

Women GSers:)

I have plenty in my group already, 5 so far are women GS folks. You are mid country, Iowa? Hayfork, California is the pre Salem rally GS camp on July14th, one night. Women in this group are novice to intermediates so far. There are others, 3 of them, pre rally sites for the GS Giants and nobody chatting them up here? Nevada, Oregon and Washington have the same going on. Mine happens to be HAYFORK, California. You LIKE BIGFOOT and Trinity Alps touring, this ones cool:). See ya in Salem, as I am a likely candidate for leading GS Rides, if picked. Done this a few times:). I DO Host the Hayfork crowd on GSs so WELCOME if you come here en route to Salem, GLAD to have ya:)..... Randy

Anyone know what day the woman's only GS ride will be? My wife wants to ride this but also take one of the Rider University courses, trying to deconflict.

Thanks,
Dutch

Dutch - there will be a Women-only ride and the details will be published here (as well as in the Women's forum).

We just lost our volunteer leader, though, so I am working hard to find another.

The ride will be Friday, most of the day.

Here's a shot of the Women-only ride at the Adventure RAid during the RA Rally last week. We keep the Women's ride small and it fills up fast, so if you're ready to commit to a Friday morning ride, say so and you'll be the first on the list. :D

Ian

IMG_2056-XL.jpg

Topo Maps:)

I will have these to hand out in Hayfork, CA, covering that area and North to Oregon Border. These maps show ALL the dirt byways up there and my main draw is the Redwoods National Park areas and coastal access, via dirt and pavement AND Mt.Shasta area with plenty to offer for GS activity touring on dirt and pavement. The Klamath River Scenic area is exceptional too, if staying directly North from Hayfork into Oregon. Bald Eagles are common here, along with much less common Bigfoot, that's gotten MUCH TV coverage in this very area of California thru the years. We kid a lot about this big furry man like creature, but its real enough if you look into it! Folks living around NCal have serious opinions, regarding Bigfoot. Anyhow, the rides from Hayfork ARE up to you folks gathering here and chatting up joining one another, come Monday morning to head North. Go your way and pick a partner thing. I have yet to pick my medicine from there to Salem and have family catching up from home, leaving home Monday, so my pace will be touristy, hang out around the Cal/Ore border areas, just exploring my GSA off:). Wednesday is my arrival in Salem, any interested in riding with me from Hayfork and just zigzagging about NCal and S.Oregon, as my kids catch up, WELCOME to my world:) and dirty GSAs. I have women in my family group at novice level on dirt, but they are FAST learning....My level, expert, so you need some help and mentorship along your newfound GS dirt abilities, let me know in Hayfork. We can talk it up. The TOPO Maps will make life easy to find your way about the region, so I will have them. You ride with GPS with proper programs for dirt byways/back country, bring it...Later, Randy

Sign Her Up!

.... We keep the Women's ride small and it fills up fast, so if you're ready to commit to a Friday morning ride, say so and you'll be the first on the list. :D

Ian

Ian

Done! You Da'Man :clap:clap

See your messages for her info.

Thanks!

GSGiant DOWN:(

Not out, but woke this AM to Ohlins leaking, both of 'em:(. They are ONLY a year+ old! I got them OFF bike and en route to Ohlin's USA(NC) already for tomorrow rebuild and back to me by Monday or earlier:). When it rains it pours on me! Glad it happened before I got out on the road next week. Randy

Yep;

GSA sits atop my HF Tools table lift in pieces right now, awaiting Ohlin's folks to step up! You've NOT lived until you've taken the front shock off a GSA1200. Pain in the arse, an understatement! Them GSA crash bars are so neat until you have to take the whole assembly apart to get front shock off. Not exactly well thought out when building these bikes? I installed my own Ohlins too, so had been there already but did NOT figure to have to go back in there so quickly:(. I should REDESIGN this front crash bar crossover piece on the GSA, so its not so in the way! Its also in the way to change the alternator belt, same thing, bar must come off:(. ITS NOT a simple crash bar system at all! Randy

The Idaho Adventure Detour

2 days, 600 miles, true adventure riding

• Meet up in Kamiah, Idaho (west end of Lolo Pass) on Sunday, July 14
  • Ride through Hells Canyon on Monday, July 15
  • Meet for lunch at Hat Point in Hells Canyon and score mega GS BS points
  • Choose one of many campsites in Hells Canyon
  • Ride the Oregon Back Country on a superb adventure route, July 16
  • Ride up to Spanish Peak for more GS BS points
  • Camp out in the sticks, July 16.
  • Or be a Giant Wuss and get a hotel in Mitchell. :ha

From the end of this route, it's a nice day ride to Salem, where you can set up your camp at the rally.

You'll need to manage your fuel on this ride, and going with friends is advisable. :nod

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2756966/embed" height="750px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

HAYFORK,CA. update:)

July14th is also the Southern GS Giant crowd camp in Hayfork, CA.. I just had meeting with folks that oversee the Trinity Fairgrounds in Hayfork and our GS Giant Camp for the night:). VERY sweet lady and so helpful to our needs, they are looking forward to our presence camping there. The facility apparently has much shade trees and quality camping area and showers/restrooms all on site near us. The town has many food opportunities, as in grocery and restaurant(s). The costs for camping is very minimal at 5$ or 10$ per tent. She said 5$, but when we arrive it will be one or the other:). This is not new to this site as the N.Cal BMW Club has used this site a few times over the years for their campout monthly meetings and have provided a path of acceptance in that community for our BMWs. The local folks know BMWs:). Nice! Anyhow, time is moving fast now. We'd love having you stop in, camp in Hayfork. You headed to Salem, come on in:). GS or NOT! I think you'll find us mostly on GS/GSAs, even a KLR I know of:). We convert you street Beemers, lol. Randy

GOOD Oregon Seafood:)

Coming up coastal Oregon? A favorite stop for such is Port Orford and the "Crazy Norwegian" for fish and chips. I LIKE. Its worth checking out. I've been there more than once, a repeat for this GSA:). They have a website, Google it for data. Its right on Hwy101, hard to miss. Its a small quaint little shoppe for good lunch. Maybe dinner, hours unknown. Just a heads up, FYI. I know many will travel this way on beemers this year. Probably 75 miles or so inside Oregon on coast from California. IF ya have not tried "HALIBUT and CHIPS", you've not lived:). I hope they still have it on menu! Should, as its a local catch there:). Our Halibut is our NY Steak of Seafood(Fish type), to me anyways...Randy

I second your comment Randy. We did the inland passage cruise last summer and did a charter out of Ketchikan and shipped home 22 lbs. Have been eating it all winter long - beaded in Ritz crackers and baked.:eat

Riding SOON:)

Don and Matt, I will be riding SOON out of here, way before y'all get out and about coming this way. I expect we may have a chance to meet up midway somewhere in Nevada or Utah as I loop around the West. I will keep posted. My GSA sits atop my table lift awaiting my Ohlin's tomorrow from rebuild in NC. I put it back together tomorrow and hope the rest of the bike still works! Hayfork awaits and will be nice. I loop back thru my home town, Clovis to pick up Gini and her KLR and ride North on Saturday morning the 13th. Camp somewhere North, just unknown where right now on Saturday night. Hope we all come together sooner or in Hayfork for certain. Stay tuned:). Randy PS; Anybody need my email or phone#, I will pass it on one more time before I leave home.

No bike at the MOA for this giant

Just got word yesterday we are heading to Cleveland, OH now not Minniapolis, MN. The plan was to swing by the Labratory where I keep my bikes in IL and fix up a bike to be brought out west for me. Now that I can't make it home no wheels to compete on the track. That would have been entertainment for all. I fly out and be helping work on the track and any other work for the gypsy tour also holding down the GS Giants tent. We will all have a great time! Looking forward to seeing you all out there and hearing the story's of the great journey's to the MOA. Be a Giant and go big!

Score Book & Help at the MOA

Hey when do the score book come out? Want to make sure I am in an area where I can get wifi and access to a printer.. Also if help is need in Salem let me know.
Thanks,
Matt Mahmet
:thumb

Matt - the scorebooks go out on Sunday July 9th.

We will need someone to off-load photos and video during scorekeeping sessions, I'll send you more info about that via email.

Matt - the scorebooks go out on Sunday July 9th.

We will need someone to off-load photos and video during scorekeeping sessions, I'll send you more info about that via email.

Thanks Ian.. I will be in WY I think or in UT I will try to find a Hotel or Internet cafe to print it.. I can do that I will have my Mac with me.. I will wait for the info via email.

Pre*view* of the GS Giant's Gypsy Tour.

Thanks to Coach Ramey Stroud for pre-riding this little section of the route.

As you head to Salem on any of the 4 Gypsy Tour options, you will enjoy this view. Photo by Coach Stroud.

IMG_2785-XL.jpg

Back