• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

Visian

look out!!!
It is ON in OR!

GS%20Giant_huge_transp-L.png

The year: 2013 The date: July 14-20. The location: all over the Pacific Northwest, with the final destination at the BMW MOA rally in Salem, OR. It is open to all riders on all brands of bike, and all skill levels. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A BIG DOG TO HAVE A BIG TIME. This event is fun, it is an excellent opportunity to learn, and a great way to make new friends.

In 2012, a bunch of folks had a very big time in Arkansas and Missouri. For 2013, we're going to find out who's the biggest ground pounder out west and if you're not familiar with the fun we have, please enjoy this video.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zFG3tBHir6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

"Who's the GS Giant?" you ask? We'll all find out together at the 2013 BMW MOA International Rally in Salem, Oregon.

"What's a GS Giant?" The Giant is the winner of an adventure event that starts this spring and continues through the rally in July.

To win the GS Giant Adventure Event, you must be:

1. A good navigator that rides off the beaten path to the rally.
  2. A good storyteller with photo and/or video skills being part of the picture.
  3. An adventuresome ride through the wilds of the Pacific Northwest.
  4. A decent rider on the track, someone who doesn't put their feet down.

However, it's important to know that most people ride it just for fun. You don't have to compete to have a great time.

Volunteers needed

Of course, none of this happens without volunteers, and volunteering is a big part of the fun.

Scorekeepers - good with a spreadsheet, and a good nose for BS (the Queen is iffy for Oregon)
Data Wranglers - collect ridersÔÇÖ pics, vids and proof points. You'll need a laptop, we have the hard drive
Event hosts - local expert who can show visitors a great time.
Ride leaders - sweeps, too... riders who can help others with less experience
Route planners - know the good local riding? Got GPS?
GS BS Geeks - know all the bizarre POIs?
Track setup and management - good with hand tools and picking up bikes?
Competition judges - you need a good eye, and a hydration pack.
Seminars - are you interested in giving one at either rally?

Many volunteers come from the ranks of the GS Giants, a virtual club that formed at previous events and is growing like a, well, Giant!

gsGiant_logo_5-S.jpg

More information coming here, so subscribe to this thread!.

Last edited:
Bigfoot, they exist:).

Well, I think so anyways, never had a close encounter! A Bigfoot would likely ride a GSA like a Trials bike, size comparison, tossing it about like a toy:). SO, if you're a real adventurous person, camping in the NW has some bennies. Finding Bigfoot is one you may wish to avoid OR stumble into if lucky and have a video/camera real ready to shoot! The NW has a zillion tales of the critter in the wilderness and the GSA is the right choice to find'em:). Camp off the beaten path, so to speak and you too could ADD to the Bigfoot legend. They say you SMELL'em first:). I think somebody shows up in Salem with a real photo of GSA and Bigfoot very nearby, they're my hero:). Go explore. I sure hope to see most my (GSGiants)friends there, still aboard my GSA1200'07, going strong. Best to all ya, Randy"Polarbear" PS; That "smelling comment" above has been tossed around about US too. GSA folks seem to get dirty:), so maybe just maybe we're a match for Bigfoot. LOL.

off the wall but...

bear with me (no puns intended!)

I once ran a character on a Star Wars RPG that was a Wookie cop who rode a MC. The bike was inspired by the twin Wankel Norton of the late 80s. Imagining a Sasquatch riding a GSA at the GS Giant events brought back a smile. Thanks, guys.

I really hope to have a conflict free schedule to be able to make the National this year and see how the 1150 GS does on LONG days and FINALLY get to a National.

I really hope to have a conflict free schedule to be able to make the National this year and see how the 1150 GS does on LONG days and FINALLY get to a National.

If you do, post here.... there are some very good Adventure Detours to share with you.... :type

Longer GS Days:)

The longer the day, the sweeter it gets on a GSA:). Enjoy your 1150GS from Nebraska to Oregon. Its a very good ride aboard a very good bike. Couldn't get better:). You've bike shopped wise...I've been crosing the USA quite frequently on my current GSA1200 and those GSs before and its been very friendly to me....Randy

A bit early, but...

If I'm around I'd be available to help out. Waiting on my National Guard paperwork to go through, might be off training somewhere when the rally comes round. If not, find me a spot on a course or a ride out.

Mikeraces - thank you for the offer, stay tuned here as info develops.

I can tell you that The GS Giant is planning a Gypsy Tour starting in Washington, with a two-day adventure ride to the rally.

The Adventure Track riding will happen on Thursday for training and practice, Friday for competition and Saturday for fun.

More to come.... I see from the pics in your profile that you're on an R1200GS... and get around some. :ha

Ian

Riding out of SoCal - Lake Arrowhead

My wife and I will be headed up to the Rally in July on our GS's. Will there be any branches of the Gypsy Tour out of California that we can join?

Hey Visian

We may have crossed paths, I just relocated here from Charlotte, NC last summer. (SgtMike on ADVRider).

This will be my first BMW rally, looking forward to it.

Mikeraces - thank you for the offer, stay tuned here as info develops.

I can tell you that The GS Giant is planning a Gypsy Tour starting in Washington, with a two-day adventure ride to the rally.

The Adventure Track riding will happen on Thursday for training and practice, Friday for competition and Saturday for fun.

More to come.... I see from the pics in your profile that you're on an R1200GS... and get around some. :ha

Ian

California GS/GSA'rs

I live in ClovisCA., ride a GSA1200 and have particiapated in all the above past years:). What a HOOT its all been. No sponsors, too bad, as the past two year(s) partying has been real nice, prior to rally, GSGiant events. Anybody needing adventure, rides with me North this year. You're welcome to find me, hook up part time or full time, all the way to Salem. I am usually an avid dirt byway adventurer when the urge hits and that can be anywhere in route! Camper mostly and even sometimes quite rural, gorilla camping thrown in when way OFF the path. I've travelled all the NW and West and know most byways of interest for these kind a bikes and beyond, to needing partners to assist in getting bikes back on wheels! I am very easy and can go with experience levels/riders present:). I like my showers at end of day, so camping well(KOA,etc.,similar) is a plus and usually the end result. GSA can stay dirty:) Makes it look like you've been there, done that! PLEASE find time later, as Summer approaches and we too can have a GSGiant, California Northbound great time. IAN, my pal, we're(I'M) coming from the deep West. I try to put together a crowd:). I too, am likely a candidate for an extended, really extended GSA tour of ALL NAmerica after Salem. Alaska to Prince Edward Island to Florida Keys and too many points between. My retirement gift to ME:). Maybe we can link up somewhere, coming to Salem. Like that. Randy'"Polarbear"

Some tips, California North!

ON MY list always is "Gold Country" running North up Hwy49 to its terminus at 89N, staying along the Sierra Nevada range to entering it further North above Lake Tahoe. My day would end in NCal somewhere above Tahoe 100 miles or so, camping. Thats about 400+m from ClovisCA., my home. I am very near the bottom of Hwy49, its start at Oakhurst and YosemiteNPs entrance. Crossing through YNP is also a hit, favorite of mine to 395N to Reno and back into the Sierra's near Quincy,CA. Alternate to NNevada(above Reno) desert touring offroad N.of Paramid lake to Oregon. LOTs of dirt this way and "REMOTE" as defined in Websters, GSA heaven for some:). Need gas and water on hand, LOTS...Just too much fun routing! There is a route across the very NCal from Gillette near Weed,CA that crosses the very N.of the state to the coast and the Redwoods, part dirt and a blast, less travelled byway indeed. Comes out at OrickCA in the heart of the Redwoods National Forest, you too can ride offroad there with GIANTS surrounding you. Not sure which way to look, UP of at your path:). The trees are enormous and very AWE inspiring, easy to forget your on a bike and surely glad you are, experiencing the fresh air of it all. In a car, no clue to this experience. I MAY intend to cross the states(CA and Oregon) a few times enroute to Salem so beware, have time on your side:). Probably night two near the state line camping near coast. Crater Lake a long time favorite of mine not seen lately, so it may be a target day three and into the Cascade wilderness heading North. Only to pic my way back to the Oregon Coast and a favorite Halibut and Chips hangout of mine on Highway1. No tell, my secret:). Oh, its just too good! Not shipped, local fresh halibut, oh boy,hmmmmmm:). I starve myself for this, no breakfast. Cheese factory in TillimookORE has always been on my bucket list and I WILL see it, take the tour, free cheese tasting and wine maybe? Better be end of day. I am in my beginning stages/planning this tour North, so please come along if you desire and share some of the best riding anywhere. Salem by day 5 or earlier, depending on GSGiants and where they are hanging out. This is a WING of the org., self made tour guide, GSA MOAMember heading your way. See ya in Salem, if not before. Randy"Polarbear"

There is a route across the very NCal from Gillette near Weed,CA that crosses the very N.of the state to the coast and the Redwoods, part dirt and a blast, less travelled byway indeed. Comes out at OrickCA in the heart of the Redwoods National Forest, you too can ride offroad there with GIANTS surrounding you.

Thanks to friends in the NorCal club, I had a great spot identified in the Trinity Alps. The campground would feed riders and even bring in coolers full of beer. But they need a commitment up front. This is where sponsors come in... :deal

From there, the plan was a ride right toward the area you're taking about.... Orick. http://goo.gl/maps/ORse4 and on to an area no one seems to know about... the Oregon Caves.

... a favorite Halibut and Chips hangout of mine on Highway1. No tell, my secret:). Oh, its just too good! Not shipped, local fresh halibut, oh boy,hmmmmmm:). I starve myself for this, no breakfast.

Please tell me where this is, sounds like a perfect GS BS destination! I won't tell anyone... :ha

Cheese factory in Tillimook, OR has always been on my bucket list and I WILL see it, take the tour, free cheese tasting and wine maybe?

There is a very cool ... and quite large... OHV area nearby, with some GS-able roads, the Tillamook OHV area.

I am in my beginning stages/planning this tour North, so please come along if you desire and share some of the best riding anywhere. Salem by day 5 or earlier, depending on GSGiants and where they are hanging out. This is a WING of the org., self made tour guide, GSA MOAMember heading your way. See ya in Salem, if not before. Randy"Polarbear"

Randy is a great guy to ride along with... he has been around! :nod :thumb

Ian

Randy, I'm planning on departing the Friday before the rally from Colo Springs. Will probably head due West retracing my return route from Redmond along US 50 (Loneliest Highway) to Reno / Tahoe area. Stayed at the A frames at the Lake Tahoe Coast Guard station last time and might see if I can get in there again. Maybe if the stars align we can hook up and ride up to Salem.

Don

Hey Don - glad to hear you're coming... it will be great to see you again.

As you cruise US 50, you might consider this Adventure Detour... The Grand Mesa Byway. This route was pointed out to me by Steve Farson, author of The Complete Guide to Motorcycling in Colorado.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2164272/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

If this is out of your way, I assume you know about CO92, the road that goes along the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Just TOO much fun:)

YES, that Gunnison Black Canyon is a favorite of dozens of beemerphiles and I rode it just last year going into PaoniaCO. Its a real twisty climber into the higher elevations around there. Imagine, you start at Gunnison at 7500':). Typical Colorado. Most of its playgrounds are above a mile high and even two miles high+. THOSE offroading parks in Oregon near the coast are mostly very sandy, deep sandy in many cases, so be in shape, wear knobbies and work a lot. For the less timid GSer , this is heaven. MY HALIBUT SPOT? Coast HWY101, more S.Oregon! I'll have to look it up again, get the data for ya:). "The Mad Scandinavian", a huge tip! YES DON, look for ya, we will be in touch. Randy

Hi Ian - sorry to hear about sponsorship drought, but great news that you plan to put together info for MOA participants. Where do I offically sign up to get the scorebook?

I am renting a bike in Bend OR Saturday prior to the rally and am putting together my plan leading up to the MOA. Look forward to hearing what others have in mind as well!

Thanks for all your efforts!

Back