• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

traveler using the moa anonymous book

fishburn80

fishburn80
I am thinking about this year traveling and using the book to stay in people yards and try to meet all the new people i can any thoughts about this or does and donts thanks

I have never used the book, but would be delighted to host other riders traveling up here to Vermont. I'm a little conflicted on the rules, though. MOA says it's only to be used for emergencies, which is probably why I've never been called. Sharing experiences with other riders is almost always enjoyable. I wish there was a way to indicate if you actually welcomed visitors...maybe bold or capitalize those choices in the Anonymous Book?

Pete

Last edited:
There are codes for just about everything. I'm sure there is a code for tent space, spare room, work space and tools, etc. If you don't want to be troubled by that, then only put down that you are available for emergencies. I believe "KK" is for coffee and conversation, meaning you're willing to have people stop by just to visit. My parents actually had someone come in from out of town and stay one or more nights in their house. The visitors were kind enough to offer there own house as payback in a future visit to their area.

Pesonally, I have a tough time seeing someone hop across the country and "use" people in this manner. I'm not sure what all the reasons would be, but saving money would be one of them. But your hosts are going to be inconvenienced to some degree. I know we're all about sharing, and maybe it's a pay-it-forward kind of thing. :dunno I would find it difficult to plan a trip in this manner...are you going to be able to find someone in the town that you're in at the end of a travel day? Usually, I don't know where I'm going to end up until 2-3pm in the afternoon. Do you call someone at that point and give them, what, a couple hours notice? Doesn't seem too friendly in that situation.

I think you have to play it by ear, or one person at a time. Coffee and conversation at a Starbucks or such-like place, unless they insist that you stop by their house.
Read the codes. Then see who offers what. When you leave, offer to pay. If they refuse, then invite them to your place when they are in your area.
I suppose station in life matters as well. If the traveler is a college student, he may not be in a position to pay it forward for maybe 10, 20 or 30 years. But they do. In those later years when they have the opportunity.
Also, identify yourself, with your full honest phone number and full and complete legal name.
dc

thanks so far on the info

that's why i put this out there i would not have a problem with some one call and setting up a trip and want to stay here camping just wanted to see what the club had to say about it im new to the traveling thing no problem with staying in camp grounds or hotels but its nice to meet people with the same drive for a bike dont want take advantage of them would more than happy to pay for the camp space dont want to start a hate thread just want to see the opinion of the people im going to meet on the road

There was a discussion about this a little while ago, but agree with the comment that you would have to feel it out.

The BMW community is diverse, some will welcome you with open arms,. others are.........shall we say a little up tight, I think more falling in the latter category.

There is a similar list at ADV rider, and to be honest, the community there seems more like the down home, lets go ride , then sit and have a couple beers on the back porch.

Nice map too here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585 probably 1000+ offers

There are codes for just about everything. I'm sure there is a code for tent space, spare room, work space and tools, etc. .

I was alway told this was for emergencies only.
It would be nice if a code was added for "Overnight visitors are welcome"

Yeah!!!
That should be fed back to the team at MOA that publishes the guide! ;)

The other thing that has been kicked around for a while now is making the guide available as a PDF,
which would help us with packing since we could stick a copy on our laptop/tablet/smartphone, but there is a concern it could be used for purposes not so stellar ..

Yep, I made this suggestion last time this came around. I have a large yard and anyone who wants to pitch a tent could do so. I have a bathroom in the basement with yard access. I wouldn't even know you are there. So if you are in Raleigh, NC, it's there. If it is summer, feel free to hop in the pool.

Rob

+1 - plenty of camping for anyone passing through central IL. With a little warning I can set you up right by the river and you can catch your dinner. :)

There was a discussion about this a little while ago, but agree with the comment that you would have to feel it out.

The BMW community is diverse, some will welcome you with open arms,. others are.........shall we say a little up tight, I think more falling in the latter category.

There is a similar list at ADV rider, and to be honest, the community there seems more like the down home, lets go ride , then sit and have a couple beers on the back porch.

Nice map too here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585 probably 1000+ offers

i think u are on to something here very good web sight haven't looked at that forum in a wile but will start more my handle is fishburn80 and thanks again for the link

M/C Bed & Breakfast

There's always an ad in the ON magazine for the motorcycle travel net at: www.motorcycle-travel.net

I've never used it, but it looks very interesting. Maybe when I retire and do some long trips I'll take advantage of it. It's probably a good way to enjoy meeting new people, interested in motorcycles.

Since some consider the Anon Book to be a "for emergency use only", while others look at it as "hey, glad to have the company, and happy to offer the hospitality"- having an additional code of NEO- for Not Emergency Only- (or something similar) would be a really good idea.

I have used the Anon both in emergency status, as well as when just wanting a place to crash for the night, and no suitable alternatives existed. Usually, just a few hours notice worked fine.

6 bottles of fine adult beverage makes for good currency, as does treating for supper at a local establishment.

The Anonymous listing for Camping is "c". For spare room is "r". For bed rool space "b".

If folks were not inviting you to stay, why would they include those codes in their listings.

Call first. Call first. Call first.

You will find that most MOA members are interesting folks who enjoy meeting other MOA members.

The Anonymous listing for Camping is "c". For spare room is "r". For bed rool space "b".

If folks were not inviting you to stay, why would they include those codes in their listings.

Call first. Call first. Call first.

You will find that most MOA members are interesting folks who enjoy meeting other MOA members.

On page 24 of my 2011 Anonymous book.
EXPLANATION OF CODES
The Anonymous Emergency Help System has no "Bed & Breakfast" component. Therefore we ask that all members avoid using the system in this way.

For me, I would not feel comfortable using the Anonymous to save money on a trip, but if I was broke down, I might pull out the book to see if someone had a spare room.

EXPLANATION OF CODES
The Anonymous Emergency Help System has no "Bed & Breakfast" component. Therefore we ask that all members avoid using the system in this way.

For me, I would not feel comfortable using the Anonymous to save money on a trip, but if I was broke down, I might pull out the book to see if someone had a spare room.

Yet, I think many would be very agreeable to the "B&B option", which is why having a new code that indicates such would be a great idea. And, as with all other codes, the option to participate is entirely your own.

I used to be a member of motorcycle travel net. I'm on the advrider tent space sign up thread also.

Maybe we need to start a similar thread/map here and make it a sticky.

I'm also a member of the MSTA and our "blue book" has codes in it for tent space, bed, ect. Also has an option to list yourself as an emergency only contact.

EXPLANATION OF CODES

There is history there that is not apparent. One member so abused the system that it was thought necessary to include that statement.

There is history there that is not apparent. One member so abused the system that it was thought necessary to include that statement.

That really confuses the issue now. After reading the statement in the Anonymous Book, I'm guessing a lot of people who entered codes for spare room and camping space thought people would only call them in an emergency.

So, what's the official rule, it's okay, or not okay, to use the Anonymous Book to save money on a trip by asking members you don't know for a place to spend the night?

Back