• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Stuff for '06 R1200GS

bobframe

Sorry for all the "what should I get posts"...but this does seem like a really friendly place and I need a bit of help settling into my new (to me) 2006 GS.

So here are my issues:

1. I'd like a "half cover" for the bike. Currently have a very nice Nelson Riggs half cover for my ST1300 that covers the windshield, front fender, handlebars, tank, seats and Givi trunk bag. Secures with elastic straps around the passenger pegs. Allows easy access into panniers. Something similar (or better) for the GS. Note: I tried my current cover and it seems a tad small for the GS.

2. At 6"3" with a 36" inseam, standing on the GS is a bit of a "bend-over" for me. I'd like to add some handlebar risers, but am not interested in having to change any cabling (brake, throttle, etc.). Suggestions?

3. I'd like to be able to switch my Zumo 550 between bikes. So I plan to order an additional mount but need to figure out how to mount the mount, so to speak. I've seen a curved bar that mounts (obviously my favorite word) above the speedo/instrument panel. Is this the hot setup? Or not?

That's it....

Many thanks,

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

Congrats on your new bike! I have an '05, and I'm using the MV handle bar risers. They raise the bar, and move it back toward you. I did not have to change my cables. For my Zumo 550, I used a RAM mount on the left side of the handle bars. Seems to work well for me. Good luck!

This is the GPS mounting bar from Touratech, along with the locking mount for the ZUMO 660/665. Puts the GPS in your line of sight, so you don't have to look down to see it.

Word of caution: To mount the bar, you have to remove and replace the mounting screws on either side of the instrument panel, and BMW installs those original screws with "OMG forever locking juice". Be prepared to put some effort into pulling those, and be careful not to strip the heads in the process. Ask me how I know... :)

DSC02976.jpg

This is the GPS mounting bar from Touratech, along with the locking mount for the ZUMO 660/665. Puts the GPS in your line of sight, so you don't have to look down to see it.

Word of caution: To mount the bar, you have to remove and replace the mounting screws on either side of the instrument panel, and BMW installs those original screws with "OMG forever locking juice". Be prepared to put some effort into pulling those, and be careful not to strip the heads in the process. Ask me how I know... :)

Oh, I see I'm not the only one...

Pete

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum! Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - as can be imagined, there are actually quite a few sub-models of the R1200GS series, with changes by model/year. Having this info in the post title can help get eyes with first-hand experience with your model to open the thread and hopefully contribute some useful info. It's also a good thing later when someone else may be seeking the same info.

I'm adding the year to your thread, and will be adding it to the other Battery Tender thread you've posted. Please do this yourself in future posts to the tech sections!

Thanks for your cooperation, and again - welcome!

Back