• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Complimentary Bike to the K1300S

dukekaboom

One Man Wolfpack
For those of you that own a K-S or K-R, what other bike(s) do you own or what other bike do you wish to own that would compliment the K-S or K-R? For me, I'm looking to get a GS -- either 800 or 1200 -- or consider a KTM 690R. I can't quite figure out if I'm more inclined to do adventure riding or dual sport riding. Perhaps some test rides will answer that!

Kent

I think that is as individual as...each individual. I still have my K1200RS and am riding it more again, it is more suited to two up tourning than my S. But, I suppose to be set up for most anything, I would also be looking at an Adventure touring machine like one of the GSs or a KTM. It would need to be road worthy for two-up and good for dirt/gravel roads. Sort of like having a Z-4 and a Grand Cherokee....

For those of you that own a K-S or K-R, what other bike(s) do you own or what other bike do you wish to own that would compliment the K-S or K-R? For me, I'm looking to get a GS -- either 800 or 1200 -- or consider a KTM 690R. I can't quite figure out if I'm more inclined to do adventure riding or dual sport riding. Perhaps some test rides will answer that!

Kent

I got a GS. Careful though, I haven't ridden the S since I got it...

We have a pair of K12S's...and a few other models.I ride my GSA more than my K12 as mentioned above, but only because it does everything well.
We added a /6 recently...talk about a wide range. Put 200 miles on the 750cc Airhead Saturday then got on the K12S yesterday and was reminded of the BIG difference quickly. Both a blast in their own ways.
:dance

We have a pair of K12S's...and a few other models.I ride my GSA more than my K12 as mentioned above, but only because it does everything well.
We added a /6 recently...talk about a wide range. Put 200 miles on the 750cc Airhead Saturday then got on the K12S yesterday and was reminded of the BIG difference quickly. Both a blast in their own ways.
:dance

I'd love to have a half dozen bikes but I'd need a better job and a barn to store them all. So if you had to cut the stable down to just two bikes (which is likely my affordable limit), which two would you keep for yourself?

Kent

:dunno

Man, that's a tough call.

If the K12S was a solid keeper, I still love the boxer and the 12GSA does all I want for an all around second bike. But I ride the GS more than anything we have.I'm a truck guy, so I guess I prefer the truck like GSA

The S is all the adrenaline I care to feel and the GS is just comfortable.

I'd hate to get only two picks. t would also depend on where I was in my riding career as well.If I were fifteen-twenty years younger it would be the K12S and a R12S every day.

In a few years it will be the 69S and a oilhead boxer...the K bike was prob taken away from me by my 40 year old kids by then for scaring them on YouTube clips :gerg :laugh

So after all of that...what do YOU want?

If I was trying cover as many recreational riding situations as possible (not counting sny racing) with only two bikes, I'd have a sport touring type and a mid size dual sport, probably 400 cc but maybe up to 650 cc. A "full size" adventure bike is a serious PITA if you plan any sigificant amount of real dirt- there is no getting around having to deal with its significant weight in such situations. But if you will stay on pavement or decent single track track, a big "adventure" bike certainly makes a good choice fror number 2
There should be some interesting new mid size dual sports soon and there are thing like the new Huskies if you don't really need hard core stuff. Even the smaller BMW GS though its too chunky and overdone for my taste- too pricey also and adding nits, has a crappy side stand.
Nothing wrong with an R-GS if you plan a lot of pavement and dual track- you'll find it has lighter handling on some types of twisties than a K-GT...

My current riding is pavement (medical stuff keeps my from doing seriuos dirt) and done with ar R1200RT, K1200GT and K1200RS....

Back