• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'06 1200GS Accessory plug?

bobframe

Noob here.

Does my GS have an accessory plug somewhere? I'm looking for an easy way to connect a Garmin Zumo 550. I plan to eventually add a fuseblock but if there's a simple plug and play solution that may be a good interim solution.

Many thanks,

Bob

You have two plugs. One is the standard Powerlet style plug on the left side of the bike just under the riders portion of the saddle.

p-20061026-1443-2136.jpg

The second one is a special socket wrapped up and hidden by the front forks on the left side your bike. It is intended for GPS power. You need to buy and wire the appropriate plug from BMW. I'm sure someone will have the part number.

The second one is a special socket wrapped up and hidden by the front forks on the left side your bike. It is intended for GPS power. You need to buy and wire the appropriate plug from BMW. I'm sure someone will have the part number.

Are these outlets switched or constant?

Switched, but... they stay on for "up to 15 minutes" after you turn off the ignition. I haven't a clue what triggers the "up to 15 minutes" part. Most of the time the socket turns off about 1 minute after turning off the ignition. One other note... not an issue for a GPS but the total draw from the accessory sockets is capped at about 5 amps on the GS. Draw more than that and the bike will turn the socket off. Next time you start the bike the socket will be re-enabled. The bike may re-enable the socket before you restart the bike.

Switched, but... they stay on for "up to 15 minutes" after you turn off the ignition. I haven't a clue what triggers the "up to 15 minutes" part. Most of the time the socket turns off about 1 minute after turning off the ignition. One other note... not an issue for a GPS but the total draw from the accessory sockets is capped at about 5 amps on the GS. Draw more than that and the bike will turn the socket off. Next time you start the bike the socket will be re-enabled. The bike may re-enable the socket before you restart the bike.

So, using these for heated gear is out. Glad I asked. But might make a good choice for a GPS....still, I think I'd prefer to hardwire the GPS into a fuseblock.

Can I use one of the powerlet outlets to connect a Battery Tender?

So, using these for heated gear is out. Glad I asked. But might make a good choice for a GPS....still, I think I'd prefer to hardwire the GPS into a fuseblock.

Can I use one of the powerlet outlets to connect a Battery Tender?

I would wire the fuzeblock to the battery for a source and the parking light circuit makes a good switched source to turn on the fuzeblock switched circuits.

I would wire the fuzeblock to the battery for a source and the parking light circuit makes a good switched source to turn on the fuzeblock switched circuits.
Where can I find this circuit? What color wire am I looking for?

Where can I find this circuit? What color wire am I looking for?

The parking light is with the headlight...a rubber plug with a small bulb. Turn the key on and it will light up. The wire for it is gray/black and the ground return for it is brown.

You can also tap the accessory plug for the fuse block relay. Closer to the fuse block if you mount it under the seat for an easier wire run. Eather works well. See other current thread, same subject for pics.

You can also tap the accessory plug for the fuse block relay. Closer to the fuse block if you mount it under the seat for an easier wire run. Eather works well. See other current thread, same subject for pics.

However, the accessory socket does not turn off with the key for at least a minute or so. If you have a couple of fog lights connected thru the Fuzeblock, then they will continue to consume battery until the accessory jack turns off.

You have two plugs. One is the standard Powerlet style plug on the left side of the bike just under the riders portion of the saddle.

View attachment 37292

Regarding the second one...On my bike there is an accessory port mounted on the horizontal surface of the plastic panel to the left of the gas tank/front forks. Is this an OEM accessory port? Picture shown below.

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 42
That is OEM on the Adventurer.
Any chance that the OEM configuration is to run this straight to the battery? I have something wired into the battery (there are a second set of wires connected to the + and - batt terminals) and they are wrapped in the same black plastic wrap as the wires are that terminate in this accessory port. I was hoping that these were added on as a means of bypassing the CAN-bus system and allowing one to connect a battery charger straight to battery.

Any chance that the OEM configuration is to run this straight to the battery? I have something wired into the battery (there are a second set of wires connected to the + and - batt terminals) and they are wrapped in the same black plastic wrap as the wires are that terminate in this accessory port. I was hoping that these were added on as a means of bypassing the CAN-bus system and allowing one to connect a battery charger straight to battery.

OEM did not run directly to the battery, however, the previous owner may have installed that and connected it to the battery. Is it hot when the key is off? Plug something in and see.

OEM did not run directly to the battery, however, the previous owner may have installed that and connected it to the battery. Is it hot when the key is off? Plug something in and see.
I don't have anything I can plug into...I'll try to test it with a voltage meter?

Edit: Checked it with the bike OFF and I got 12V!!! So, this tells me it is connected straight to battery and could easily be used to charge the battery. Am I correct?

I don't have anything I can plug into...I'll try to test it with a voltage meter?

Edit: Checked it with the bike OFF and I got 12V!!! So, this tells me it is connected straight to battery and could easily be used to charge the battery. Am I correct?

Correct!

Back