• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Rally = Who's going?

Still trying to figure out the best route for Barley and me to sidecar from Vermont. I opted against Yellowstone and Grand Tetons because of the traffic, but if I go north we'll hit the east entrance of Glacier NP on a Saturday, which I'm thinking is probably not much better than Yellowstone.

For those who have been there on a weekend in July, just how congested is Going to the Sun Road from east to west? Would we be better off checking it out on the return trip on a Monday or Tuesday?

Pete

Looking for fun!

Starting from Lenexa, KS and riding to Napa, CA. Spend a couple days in Napa and Sonoma Counties indulging in the fruit-of-the-vine. Then taking a day and a half to Salem. After the festivities in the beautiful Willamette Valley head back to CO via Idaho and....well I haven't exactly figured this out. But I will end up in Paonia, CO for the Top Of The Rockies rally. After all this fun, I'll slab it back to Lenexa!

Leaving from either St. Pete or Blairsville north to Canada hopefully the Rocky Bow Lunatic Fringe rally the week before Salem then Paonia the week after it's all written in fog for now though.

I will stop by the Rally during my Alaska trip. A nice 30 or so day trip is just what I need. So in Late June I'm off to Alaska. Wife is flying out to Salem to meet me at the Rally where we will stay for the whole thing. She flies back home, and I continue on. Should be a blast. Just me ridin' in the wind. My hotel is about 1/2 mile from the rally. Had it set up since right after last year's rally.

I think I've got hotel/motel reservations taken care of for the trip out....now it's time to work on the return trip. I would really like to just wing it...but...because it's in July, camp grounds and hotels are filling up fast, and I don't want to get stuck camping at a truck stop.....Does anyone have any good travel tips or "can't miss" things to see on the trip? My riding buddy and BFF (Hozer) made the mistake of picking up a book at Barnes and Nobel about motorcycle routes in the Pacific NW....more decisions to be made. :drink

For those who have been there on a weekend in July, just how congested is Going to the Sun Road from east to west? Would we be better off checking it out on the return trip on a Monday or Tuesday?

Pete

It's pretty busy all through July and August, and there is ongoing road construction, which causes minor delays. There are short sections of smooth gravel. I don't know if there would be much difference in traffic volume between weekdays or weekends; the best bet is to hit it early in the morning.

Here is a recent (2011) shot of a gravel section:

Going%20to%20the%20Sun%202011%20037-L.jpg

Last edited:
BMW Rally

I'll be heading out of OKC on the Monday prior to the rally, headed to Casper, WY for a day or 2 with grandkids, then over to Salem. On the return trip, I plan to ride back across the north and hit Glacier NP. Probably be home by the 26th or 27th, camping most nights.

I'm thinking I'll go. I ride longish days when slabbing it and prefer to take the scenic route when not. Leaving from 1.5 hrs E of Lex,KY and might consider a return route that takes in B.C.,CA and back across CA heading eastward. I lean toward a mixture of El Cheapo motels & camping.

Pete

Riding through is a precession at best. Lots of time to look around.

Thanks, Martin. I have plenty of time to figure out the best route. I might leave Glacier and Yellowstone/Grand Teton for another year so I can give them the time they deserve. The more I hear about the PNW the more I'm inclined to scoot right out there and maximize my time in the area.

Riding through is a precession at best. Lots of time to look around.

Sometimes you can't look around too much, especially in Yellowstone. In 2004 after the Spokane rally, everyone was stopping to take some picture of a bird, squirrel, moose, or whatever. I found I had to really be on my toes for sudden brake lights and people heading to the shoulder for pictures.

I'll be coming from NC, but the caveat is that I'll be towing my bikes in a trailer on the trip across the country. Not because I'm not up for a good long ride... but because I plan on staying out west for 6 weeks or so, and want both of my bikes for different kinds of riding.

The route planning is starting to take shape....all is decided until we get to Oregon. Do we turn right and head to Canada via Seattle...or keep heading west to Salem?....There is lots to see in Oregon as well. My riding partner says "hey...we should camp along the way!" I say "Hozer...we will be riding through Bigfoot country...besides that, you don't camp"...I'm thinking after 8 to 10 hours on a bike, sleeping on the ground and no hot shower sounds great! :violin I'm not saying it should be all Marriott Hotels and IHOP...I know I know I know..."but Donnie, it's an adventure you wimp!" ....How about Motel 6 and Waffle House?...hmmm, responsible decisions need to be made and I'm really not qualified. Being a grown up is overrated :dance

Most campgrounds have hot water showers, and flush toilets. Try KOA campgrounds, or other local RV parks. We camp 9 out of 10 nights. Some campgrounds have cabins, all you need is a sleeping pad and bag. Google local campgrounds on your route, we have never made a reservation and never been turned away from a campground either, so it is much easier to travel long distances, or for that matter only a 150 mile day. And we have met delightful people who are very interested in motorcycles!:drink

Me and my 18 year old son will be riding from De Soto, Kansas camping along the way.
I'll be arriving early to drop him off for Camp GEARS.
I'll get in a bit of local riding before the rally starts.

Ok peeps...the time for departure is getting closer. How are the preparations going? I have sent my front wheel to Woody's in Denver for a bit of straightening:dance. Any suggestions for dry bags?

Attachments

• BMW wheel 1.jpg
    BMW wheel 1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 103
Barley and I will be heading out on the 4th. Last week I put new tires on front and rear; the sidecar tire looks okay for another 10k miles. Oil and filter change this morning. This coming Weds we're riding down to Max BMW in Troy NY to have the experts give the rig the once over. Then I'll pull it into my shop where it will be surrounded by all the stuff I'm thinking of taking for our 3 and a half weeks on the road. From years past I have a pretty good idea how I want to pack everything so tug and sidecar are well balanced and nothing will fall over onto Barley's dog bed. He has a history of heaving over the side anything that impinges on his sovereign turf.

Refreshed my emergency medical kit and Barley's vet kit: benadryl, flagyl, a cephalosporin in case he gets an infected wound or hotspot, rimadyl for pain, saline for wound irrigation.

I'm hoping our timing hits the plains and badlands at that sweet spot where the nasty storms are over with but the terrain is still green. After the heat and the drought at Sedalia last year I'm looking forward to some verdant scenery.

Oh, also need to put together a care package for my wife to mail to us at the rally. A refill of Barley's kibble, some extra toys, a half pint of real maple syrup since the the Aunt Jemima petroleum-based pseudo-maple liquid is toxic to Vermonters.

Still not sure what suit to take. Definitely the mesh pants and jacket for the hot crossing. But for the cooler climates and rainy areas not sure if I should take my Stich Onesie or my RevIt Sand/Cayenne suit with liners. One advantage of a sidecar rig is I can take two outfits and stash the one I'm not wearing under Barley's bed. More padding for him. :)

Back