• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lane Splitting in California

It's not illegal in the rest of the states. Well not all of them anyway. There lots of states that also do not reference motorcycle lane splitting/filtering in their traffic code or statutes. Texas is one of them.

Great article.
Having driven in LA and Texas it seems to me (opinion only, no facts) that the hyway lanes in LA are wider than in most large Texas cities. May be just an illusion, but it seems that way.
Besides, I don't trust Texas drivers enough to split lanes.

I split in DFW when the traffic is locked up. I35 is a horrible road for traffic so I split that semi often. Been doing it for 5ishyears now. 2 people have tried to "squeeze" me in that time and I've had less than 5 honk at me. Most people either don't care or are too preoccupied in their iThings to notice.

I've had more people move over and make room than try to give me trouble for it.

Friendly:)

Most Ca city folks know the bikers do it frequently and actually make room for it. Its a rare time I see an auto driver cut off a biker in gridlock conditions. I have done this in a few other states and autos usually take a dim view of the practice and try hard to cut you off! Idiots,imo. IF I actually had somebody HIT me intentionally, while splitting lanes, the fight is ON...Whether legal or not, nobody should go out of their way to hit ya! Some try. Its ugly out there. Your skills tell ya when this is safe, USE 'EM. Randy

The only real necessary place to lane split is the city, for the most part. With some exceptions.
In the greater L A area, there are wide lanes here and there, and super narrow lanes here and there.
With a wide bike like the RT I must judge and gauge it to see if I can do it. And also to determine who is where; are they leaving space for me or not.
There are plenty of idiots here who don't get over, or try to cut you off.
But it rarely works for them, as when I get thru' what can they do? Run into the vehicle in front of them?
Only once did one of them do that. And I think that was because he wasn't paying attention but was looking at my bike too much.
dc

lane splitting

split lanes in Ca. for 20 years and it is safe. live in az now and split when traffic crawls. rednecks hate me and had them cut me off but it is still more safe then stop and go.

It's not illegal in the rest of the states. Well not all of them anyway. There lots of states that also do not reference motorcycle lane splitting/filtering in their traffic code or statutes. Texas is one of them.

Maybe not, but some LEO's consider it an unsafe lane change...I had this discussion in Houston several years back:banghead Had to discuss/plead with the man in the black robe a month later...I lost.

I didn't do it last July near LA...but my GSA is a tad wide for my comfort. Didn't get hung in any traffic that required it either...lucky me!

Yes they can if they want. Or can actually get though the traffic to pull you over. The cops in traffic here seem to be more interested in what's going on in their MDT than paying attention to the road. Either way I'd take a ticket for that than being sandwiched between two vehicles.

2 choices;

I cities like LA or others, you go around/split'em or you sit and meltdown your engine for hours. Alternative, ride the latter hours our earlier hours and avoid traffic, OR sit in a bistro/cafe and wait it out. I am NOT going to sit still long on my aircooled engine in gridlock. Im lucky living in a state that allows it. ONE of the only pros of living in CA! Randy

I split in Dallas for a while tonight trying to get back towards Fort Worth.

I like Cali other than a lot of their politicians haha.

I bailed out of California in 1969 and never looked back. On vacations we go a few hundred miles out of our way to avoid entering California at all. Back roads across the mountains to Lakeview Oregon and then across the desert to Winnemucca Nevada and on to Eureka Nevada and finally New Mexico. I will never enter that cursed state again.

I bailed out of California in 1969 and never looked back. On vacations we go a few hundred miles out of our way to avoid entering California at all. Back roads across the mountains to Lakeview Oregon and then across the desert to Winnemucca Nevada and on to Eureka Nevada and finally New Mexico. I will never enter that cursed state again.

I wish a lot more people felt the way you do; the more angry people that leave makes the place better for me and my family:D

Outstanding warrants? :ear :laugh

Not at all. My wife and I are NRA Range Safety Officers and both have CCW permits from Washington, Oregon and Utah and carry our handguns at all times. California gestapo doesn't recognize our right to carry in their state so we don't.

Not at all. My wife and I are NRA Range Safety Officers and both have CCW permits from Washington, Oregon and Utah and carry our handguns at all times. California gestapo doesn't recognize our right to carry in their state so we don't.

That's true, but you can still transport your guns through the state.

Back