• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lithium Batteries 1983 R100

Battery Life

I purchased a 1984 R100 used in Aug. 1989 so I can not say for sure that the battery was original but I think it was. That battery was replaced in April 1994 so I had used it for about 5 years. My next replacement came in May 2005 which made it 11 years old. Very good for a motorcyle battery I'd say. The next replacement came in April 2010, only 5 years this time. I had purchased only BMW batteries up to 2010 when the price was way too high with only a one year warranty. I bought the next one at Batteries Plus for half the price and half the warranty, but in April it will be 3 years old, so far so good.

Just for comparison, I had the original batteries in my 1994 and 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis last 15 years before replacement !!

Last edited:
Any input on Shorai batteries.

A lithium battery? No thanks! I have seen them go into a runaway condition and till they solve the safety aspects, I'll pass. There is an incredible amount of energy in them compared to lead acid.

I don't mind them in my digital camera or cell phone, but nothing larger.

There is a reason ICAO and IATA issued instructions that loose Li-Ion batteries have to be in your carry-on luggage in aircraft and properly stored.

A lithium battery? No thanks! I have seen them go into a runaway condition and till they solve the safety aspects, I'll pass. There is an incredible amount of energy in them compared to lead acid.

I don't mind them in my digital camera or cell phone, but nothing larger.

There is a reason ICAO and IATA issued instructions that loose Li-Ion batteries have to be in your carry-on luggage in aircraft and properly stored.

To repeat: You're talking about a DIFFERENT KIND OF LITHIUM BATTERY.

Sorry for shouting!

To repeat: You're talking about a DIFFERENT KIND OF LITHIUM BATTERY.

Sorry for shouting!

No worries.

I am aware of the different chemistries. They have their issues.

And why would I change if my regular old-tech low-priced flooded lead acid battery starts my airhead for 8 full years. And at least double the price, that lithium would have to last 18 years.

Plus on low tech. Give me a map, an ignition key, set of points, a nice big battery, a couple carbs capable of dumping lots of gas fast, good enough tires, leather, a decent helmet, maybe a destination, doesn't get any better. High tech eventually gets redundant, IMO, 2 cents.

Can't argue with that. :laugh

I always chuckle when the sport bike kids boast about the weight they saved with their aftermarket exhaust systems. Funny thing is, by themselves, none of them produced more performance.

Light may be nice, but I'm not on the track worried about every gram of weight on my motorcycle. Same goes for the extra 11 pounds my regular GS battery weighs and I'm certainly not going to spend the more-than-double-the-price cost of a Lithium battery. I don't need the bragging rights of a lighter battery.

I always chuckle when the sport bike kids boast about the weight they saved with their aftermarket exhaust systems. Funny thing is, by themselves, none of them produced more performance.

Light may be nice, but I'm not on the track worried about every gram of weight on my motorcycle. Same goes for the extra 11 pounds my regular GS battery weighs and I'm certainly not going to spend the more-than-double-the-price cost of a Lithium battery. I don't need the bragging rights of a lighter battery.

Not saying you're wrong but in my Guzzi Eldorado a LiFePo battery saved 19 pounds (I kid you not) over the lead-acid battery the PO had in there (which was six months old when I got the bike). I ain't made of money, but cutting 19 pounds carried fairly high in the frame made sense to me.

LESS is more.

My Guzzi had the biggest battery I have ever seen in a motorcycle. Made the BMW battery look small by comparison. Also cost the most.

Wayne

Not saying you're wrong but in my Guzzi Eldorado a LiFePo battery saved 19 pounds (I kid you not) over the lead-acid battery the PO had in there (which was six months old when I got the bike).

In my airhead GS, that would be 11 pounds, but do I care? Nope! Hardly a concern when I have so much more weight up there in a large gas tank when full. And in my oilhead GS Adventure, here is even more gas up higher.

Then there is the cost. If weight is all that important, fine, but the Lithium battery offers no real advantages other than weight over my FLA. Talking specs is just that and no more. My GS with the original FLA battery started every single time when I needed it to for 8.5 full years. Based on cost, I would need the Lithium battery to last far more than 18 years to make it worth it.

Lets not forget the electronic circuitry within the battery that handles the charging. Another thing to go wrong.

Alex:

Do you think the problems with the Dreamliner's Lithium batteries are solveable, with current technology? I see Airbus has dropped the plans to use them.

Alex:

Do you think the problems with the Dreamliner's Lithium batteries are solveable, with current technology? I see Airbus has dropped the plans to use them.

Solution: install a regular battery...they've worked well in the past. They're trying to save weight...:rolleyes and it is what percentage of the gross weight? Start putting a bunch of zeros next to the decimal point before you even see a number.

I won't be flying in an A/C with a composite fuselage either...by choice.

I was thinking that if they change battery types, they would have to redesign the entire charging / monitoring / safety systems. But on the other hand, they've already designed systems for their other aircraft types. I'll bet they already have a Plan B in the works.

I was thinking that if they change battery types, they would have to redesign the entire charging / monitoring / safety systems. But on the other hand, they've already designed systems for their other aircraft types. I'll bet they already have a Plan B in the works.

Rin, I don't know about those particular batteries, but other Lithium batteries have their own charging circuit within the battery.

The batteries packs within the actual battery are in series and then those packs are placed in parallel. These batteries are more particular when being charged, so they have some cell balancing circuits within...at least they should have.

The 3.7V lithium cells we have in our devices are a single cell and easiest to charge properly. When you double them (7.4V in series), charging becomes more involved. Stacking them even more....you get the picture.

Back