Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lithium Batteries 1983 R100

The Shorai and Ballistic batteries uses lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) chemistry. The Yuasa battery in the Boeing used lithium cobalt oxide (LiCoO2) chemistry. This chemistry has more electrical density than the lithium iron phosphate, but is susceptible the thermal runaway and fire. It is used in cellphones, laptop computers and such. It should not be used in large capacity batteries such as on an airplane or motorcycle. Looks to me that Boeing 787 problem is simply bad LiCoO2 batteries from Yuasa. I would specify batteries from Saft for an airplane.

http://www.answers.com/topic/lithium-cobalt-oxide
    http://www.answers.com/topic/lithium-ion-battery-1
    http://www.saftbatteries.com/

keelerb
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBeemer View Post
    March issue of Motorcyclist has a blurb about Lithium-ion batteries.
    Don't like cold
    Don't like being run down
    Need to be kept on tender

My '04 RT still has the OEM battery.

They don't like cold, but they warm up quickly when you use them. E.g., you can simply turn on your headlight for a minute or two and the battery will warm up and behave perfectly.

No battery likes being run down.....

They assuredly do NOT need to be kept on a tender. Their self-discharge rate is incredibly low. They can sit for literally YEARS with minimal loss of power.

I have them in a couple bikes and LOVE them.

Being able to sit then get used is why they work so much better with cordless tools!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

SpaceX Founder Comments about Lithium Batteries

Here's a link to what Elon Musk says about those batteries -

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...unsafe-381627/

Left Coast Rider

First Hand Experience

I've had one in my Ducati going on 3 years. It works perfectly. 11.5:1 compression ratio and fuel injected. Starts bike easily at 50 degrees F. Has never needed to be charged - even after 3 months of inactivity. To quote a previous post..."The Shorai and Ballistic batteries uses lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) chemistry."

A buddy installed one in his R100 last year. Same results. MUCH lighter than stock battery.

Highly recommended.

keelerb
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Here's a link to what Elon Musk says about those batteries -

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...unsafe-381627/
    Um, that's what Elon Musk says about lithium cobalt oxide batteries....which are totally different from lithium ferrous phosphate batteries.

Battery Life

I purchased a 1984 R100 used in Aug. 1989 so I can not say for sure that the battery was original but I think it was. That battery was replaced in April 1994 so I had used it for about 5 years. My next replacement came in May 2005 which made it 11 years old. Very good for a motorcyle battery I'd say. The next replacement came in April 2010, only 5 years this time. I had purchased only BMW batteries up to 2010 when the price was way too high with only a one year warranty. I bought the next one at Batteries Plus for half the price and half the warranty, but in April it will be 3 years old, so far so good.

Just for comparison, I had the original batteries in my 1994 and 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis last 15 years before replacement !!
    Last edited by R84BMW; 02-05-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 140008 View Post
    Any input on Shorai batteries.
    A lithium battery? No thanks! I have seen them go into a runaway condition and till they solve the safety aspects, I'll pass. There is an incredible amount of energy in them compared to lead acid.

I don't mind them in my digital camera or cell phone, but nothing larger.

There is a reason ICAO and IATA issued instructions that loose Li-Ion batteries have to be in your carry-on luggage in aircraft and properly stored.

keelerb
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    A lithium battery? No thanks! I have seen them go into a runaway condition and till they solve the safety aspects, I'll pass. There is an incredible amount of energy in them compared to lead acid.

I don't mind them in my digital camera or cell phone, but nothing larger.

There is a reason ICAO and IATA issued instructions that loose Li-Ion batteries have to be in your carry-on luggage in aircraft and properly stored.

To repeat: You're talking about a DIFFERENT KIND OF LITHIUM BATTERY.

Sorry for shouting!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    To repeat: You're talking about a DIFFERENT KIND OF LITHIUM BATTERY.

Sorry for shouting!
    No worries.

I am aware of the different chemistries. They have their issues.

And why would I change if my regular old-tech low-priced flooded lead acid battery starts my airhead for 8 full years. And at least double the price, that lithium would have to last 18 years.

Left Coast Rider
    And why would I change if my regular old-tech low-priced flooded lead acid battery starts my airhead for 8 full years.
    Weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Weight.
    Well luckily I don't have to carry my GS up a flight of stairs every evening.

I'm not worried about a few extra pounds which could easily be offset if I lost a few myself as most could stand to.

Left Coast Rider
    Well luckily I don't have to carry my GS up a flight of stairs every evening.

I'm not worried about a few extra pounds which could easily be offset if I lost a few myself as most could stand to.
    Can't argue with that.

Plus on low tech. Give me a map, an ignition key, set of points, a nice big battery, a couple carbs capable of dumping lots of gas fast, good enough tires, leather, a decent helmet, maybe a destination, doesn't get any better. High tech eventually gets redundant, IMO, 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Can't argue with that.
    I always chuckle when the sport bike kids boast about the weight they saved with their aftermarket exhaust systems. Funny thing is, by themselves, none of them produced more performance.

Light may be nice, but I'm not on the track worried about every gram of weight on my motorcycle. Same goes for the extra 11 pounds my regular GS battery weighs and I'm certainly not going to spend the more-than-double-the-price cost of a Lithium battery. I don't need the bragging rights of a lighter battery.