• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

02 K1200RS oil leak

furrball

furrball
My K1200rs has developed an oil leak between the engine and clutch housing, They have a dry clutch and it is the engine oil leaking, about 1 or 2 tablespoons a day.
Now my question is that I never worked on a K bike, just my 85 R80, tore it down and rebuild. Are there special tools I have to buy? Is there a post where someone has done this job? And what else should I Replace since it is tore down. Dealer wants to do it starting at $1300.00. so that is aprox 30.00 in parts and $1270.00 in labor.
The advice I need is about removing the rear engine seal and any experience that any of you fellow BMW riders have.
Thanks and I look forward to any advice at all, even if you think the Dealer should do the job

I was surprised to see there is not anything on this in the DIY. There are many posts on the rear main seal replacement. I have done the entire job, except that seal on my K1200RS. The only special tool I recall is the big (30mm?) socket to loosen the pivot pin for the swingarm/frame connection. It took me a full 8 hours of real work over about a week. I had help because that big bolt took a lot of leverage, there was evidence of locktite and we had a 4' breaker bar with two 200lb guys (1600 lbs/ft torque). You have to have a good way to suspend your bike because you raise the frame off the bike rather than drop the engine. The estimate you show is actuallly low from what I have seen and what I got back in about 2005. But while you are there, you will be removing and observing your clutch plates to see if they are fouled, if so, the friction plate will need replacing. Of course, all the splines along the way will get lubed, but it is not a difficult job, especially if you have already rebult your R850. It can be physical, take time and patience, but with a good SET of manuals and the cd, you will be good to go. I believe I spent about $500 total for a clutch plate and clutch slave seal and trans input seal plus labor for the dealer to install those two seals on the tranny I took into them. I did all the labor. The estimate from my dealer in about '05 was $1500 starting, plus parts.

Search for Rear Main Seal, there are LOTS of discussions and I believe a few How Tos. I used a Clymer, BMW Shop manual and read lots of posts here, even way back then.

The issue with my K RS is the swing arm bolts. I don't do the work but a shop does it. I am friends with the owner. He said some K bikes have swing arm bolts that come right off, Others don't. Mine is one of those that doesn't. I am third owner and the first owner, 1 st year put 6800 miles. I bought the bike as a 5 yr old bike with 7800. So second owner really didn't ride it. During that time the rear seal failed and they did that and a new clutch. Did they mess up the threads a little? Who really knows. My swing arm has had to come off two times since then (at 90,000 miles for a alternator and did new clutch, rear main, slave cylinder, and starter refresh while in there and then the connection on the slave cylinder failed at 98,000 so had to go back in there). Both times they were unsuccessful in getting the bolt free. After the first time they used good technique to be able to do it the second time. Still nothing worked. So both times they had to cut the swing arm off.

All that to say, be patient. Do all the right things but know there can be some difficulties still.

NCS

Rear seal

Thanks to all for the Info, I have been working on mechanical stuff for over 50 years, and you always can get good advice from experienced People. This job will be fun for me, not easy but Fun. If anyone thinks of other tips all is welcome with Thanks! This MOA club has the best people I never met. Hope to see some of you in the future. I live in Vegas but will retire this year and move back home to Niagara Falls,NY.
Ed
02 K1200RS
"Ride safe! I want to be talking to you, not about You"

Back