• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

04 R1150-RS Brake Rotors

brook.reams

B Reams
I replaced my rotors and pads with EBC units about 2 years ago. It took awhile as the rotors weren't flat. In the end Ireturned four (4) times until I got a pair that were within specifications for flatness.

That said, any recommendations for replacement rotors and pads, other than stock BMW parts?

I appreciate the input as it's getting time to replace the EBC units.

Best.
Brook.

Wow! I own a 1978 R100S, a 1990 K1 and a 1999 R1100RT. All still have the original brake rotors. I have replaced the pucks for the floating rotors on the RT but I have not been able to wear out a set of rotors in 2 years, nor have a heard of anyone doing it. Just curious, what kind of mileage are you putting on a bike and what kind of brake pads are you using??

My 94 RS has 170,000 miles on it, on the original rotors. I have used three sets of front brake pads and two sets of rear pads in those miles. The rotors are not warpped, but they are scored some from use. I never "turn" rotors down as that reduces the mass that the rotor can handle in heat that the braking produces. I know the rotors are getting close to their wear thickness limit (4mm) but I can still use them for now. So I am suprised you are replacing rotors in only 30,000 miles.

Now that I think back, it may have been that I just changed to the fourth set of front brake pads this past summber before my two up trip around lake Superior. The first set was BMW OEM, sets two and three were SBS standard brake pads, good feel in both dry and wet. The set I just installed are EBC. Good feel again and no squealling. So if you average that out I'm getting 42,500 miles per pad set on the front.

The rear is on the third set, first being OEM and the next two were SBS.

My rotors have very little "grooving" if you want to call it that. When I install new rotors I don't resurface the rotors other than to scruff them up with a rough 3M pad and brake cleaner or acetone.

Now that I think back, it may have been that I just changed to the fourth set of front brake pads this past summber before my two up trip around lake Superior. The first set was BMW OEM, sets two and three were SBS standard brake pads, good feel in both dry and wet.

Follow up: What friction rating? HH? GG? Sintered? Organic?

On my 2000 RT, I get 20,000 miles out of a set of Kevlar brake pads from EBC.

137,000 on the bike, rotors still good. Just replaced the buttons.

I think with kevlar, the rotors will last forever. Bike stops great wet or dry one up or two.

I am not a track racer or anything.

I have the same kevlar pads on my /6 and they stop better than anything I have put on it. Front was converted to twin disc a LONG time ago.

David

for clarification purposes brook, when you say that the "EBC units" need replacing... are you talking about your EBC pads, or your EBC rotors?
if rotors.. something is wrong (either with your style of usage or the rotors themselves), as they should last well more than 2 years. if pads.. there are numrous aftermarket pads that people are happy with, along with the OEM units.

1150GS Rotors

148,000 miles on my fronts and they are at 4.6mm 2 sets of OE pads sintered
Replaced one rear rotor so far and 6 sets OE pads, some OE,EBC,SBS

for clarification purposes brook, when you say that the "EBC units" need replacing... are you talking about your EBC pads, or your EBC rotors?
if rotors.. something is wrong (either with your style of usage or the rotors themselves), as they should last well more than 2 years. if pads.. there are numrous aftermarket pads that people are happy with, along with the OEM units.

In the first sentence he states the plural "I replaced my rotors and pads with EBC units" so pretty sure he means both. In fact the whole post is about both "units". I agree with your assessment though. Something is very wrong about wearing out rotors and pads that fast. I am an old school rider so my back brake gets used a fair bit whenever I stop and if I get into a corner a little too hot.

I replaced the rear pads only at 19.5K miles with EBC-FA363-HH sintered pads and still waiting for the original front pads to get done at 25K miles now. They are pretty much there and will get replaced before spring. Just trying out the HH pads and think I will go back to organic as they are easier on rotors. Never heard of Kevlar pads before. Sounds interesting though. Rotors are pricey!

I'm currently using Galfer Greens (similar to EBC Green), EBC HH, and Vesrah HH+ on various different bikes.

The Vesrah pads works really well on one sport bike but the Galfer Green, which is a kevlar pad, bites REALLY hard while being gentle on the discs on another bike. Lots of brake dust from them, though, and they take a moment or two longer than the others to start to work in the rain. I think I'm going to try them on the BMW.

Gosh, can't say I really recall what specific "mix" of brake pads I have used. Best to say they were just the run of the mill generic OEM replacement pads.

My riding style is "go with a flow" meaning I don't use a lot of brakes in the twisties. I prefer to set up for corners using the throttle and gearing, and then power through. I have had people ride behind me and comment "do you ever use your brakes?" So perhaps I am a little easy on the brakes. But from some other responses and mileage on their brakes I don't think I'm much different.

Now, terrain in my riding area tends to be fairly flat (meaning not mountainous) so that has a bit of bearing on it too.

My riding style is "go with a flow" meaning I don't use a lot of brakes in the twisties. I prefer to set up for corners using the throttle and gearing, and then power through. I have had people ride behind me and comment "do you ever use your brakes?" So perhaps I am a little easy on the brakes.

A lot less work that way, eh?

it's The Pace, my Canuckistanian friend. "The Pace" is the way to ride.

fwiw- 95K miles, on my 3rd set of pads, front & rear (tho they were not changed out at same times). A mix of OEM, Galfer and EBC HH. Original rotors both ends.
Brakes are for stopping, or dramatic slowdowns. Running the twities on a big-bore twin? that's all about the motor and being smooth. Like Andy, i have been accussed of having non-functioning brake lights. I let new riding mates know beforehand that if they ever see my brake lights, it's for a very good reason.

Sorry I didn't get back to the board until now.

The rotors (original BMW) were gone in 60,000 miles, front and rear. Too soon IMHO. I am not a heavy braker,

The EBC replacement rotors have been on for about 2 years and about 18,000 miles. Rear rotor is now at 4.4 mm so beyond wear limit of 4.5. Pads were gone on the rear in about 14,000 miles. Unreasonable.

So, I'm not feeling happy with BMW or EBC these days, hence the question about any other experience with aftermarket rotors/pads.

Thanks.

Your question about pads, rotors and wear. This is on a K1200rs so yours will vary but it gives a view of pattern of wear that could be similar to what you have experienced

My riding style is using higher engine revs, downshiifting for slowing and braking then as needed towards the end of a stop.
I generally only use hand lever so front brake and rear are use in this linked fashion.

Rears wear out between 15,000 and 18,000 constantly over 100,000 miles, Since the first change I have used Carbone Lorraine (Not the HH version). Evidently there is always a little drag on them. The rear rotor always feels warm while the fronts are cool, (checked in coasting to a stop after being on the interstate)

Front pads changed at 50,000 miles and were about 2/3 worn out.

Rear rotor was worn underspec significantly (I imagine) but not measured (I could place a worn penny on each side and it was about flush with the lip so about 3 mm total wear). This was at 98,000 so that is approx 1mm of wear /30,000 miles

Fronts are still fine when recently checked by shop.

Hope this helps
NCS

Your question about pads, rotors and wear. This is on a K1200rs so yours will vary but it gives a view of pattern of wear that could be similar to what you have experienced

My riding style is using higher engine revs, downshiifting for slowing and braking then as needed towards the end of a stop.
I generally only use hand lever so front brake and rear are use in this linked fashion.

Rears wear out between 15,000 and 18,000 constantly over 100,000 miles, Since the first change I have used Carbone Lorraine (Not the HH version). Evidently there is always a little drag on them. The rear rotor always feels warm while the fronts are cool, (checked in coasting to a stop after being on the interstate)

Front pads changed at 50,000 miles and were about 2/3 worn out.

Rear rotor was worn underspec significantly (I imagine) but not measured (I could place a worn penny on each side and it was about flush with the lip so about 3 mm total wear). This was at 98,000 so that is approx 1mm of wear /30,000 miles

Fronts are still fine when recently checked by shop.

Hope this helps
NCS

Interesting. On my 2004 R1150-RS rear pads, the inside pad was gone and the outside pad had material left in about 20,000 miles. I had the same impression that the pads drag on the rear all the time (the rotor is warm to the touch, front rotors are cold), and it looks as if the inner pad does most of the dragging.

You think you had 1 mm wear in 30,000 miles. A new rotor will be 5mm thick and the wear limit is 4.5 mm, so in your case, your rotor's are past the wear limit in 15,000 miles. Oh My !!!!

Back