• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tent

In June I am riding to Idaho from Iowa. We are going to camp . Can anyone recommend a decent two person tent that goes up fast and wont break the bank. nothing to big .I dont want junk . I am turning to all of you for advice. Thanks Steve from Iowa

Do you plan on putting gear in the tent with you? If so you will need a 3 or 4 person tent (depending on ya'll's sizes). I'm a Kelty fan personally. They build quality gear that won't break your wallet in half.

This is the tent I currently use

http://www.rei.com/product/819973/kelty-salida-2-tent

Below are some links to two of the best online retailers for outdoor gear out there with a search for 2,3 and 4 person tents. You pretty much can't go wrong with any tent these places sell so just pick one in your price range and read the reviews.

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=45000...apacity,3-person^jxSleeping+capacity,4-person

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear...tate=&priceFilter=&currentPage=0&colorFilter=

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear...state=&priceFilter=&currentPage=&colorFilter=

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear...state=&priceFilter=&currentPage=&colorFilter=

And than another link to the Kelty site with a search of the same things.
http://www.kelty.com/c-tents-shelters.aspx#sleeping-capacity=2-person|3-person|4-person

I do backpacking and whatnot too, and use my backpacking gear for motorcycle use too so weight is a concern for me. One of the main areas that drives tent cost up is weight savings. Generally as price goes up weight goes down and as price goes down weights go up.

You can also see improvements in ventilation which helps cut down on condensation forming on the rain fly or inside skin of the tent. Some of the really cheap tents are really bad about condensation because f bad ventilation.

Cabela's XPG Deluxe

I've been using a Cabela's XPG Deluxe 4-Person tent for the last 2 years and I'm
quite pleased, it's the best tent I've ever used. It is absolutely waterproof and
rolls up to a reasonable size and weighs about 9-10 pounds as I recall. I took it
from Maine to North Carolina and back, no problem. Lots of room for one person
and gear and would easily work for 2 people with limited gear. Watch Cabela's website
and flyers closely because they frequently have sales on their stuff. I bought my tent on
sale and paid quite a bit less than the regular retail price that they are quoting here.
Another good place to look for stuff is Campsaver.com, there is always a %20 discount
code on the web somewhere for their site and the stuff they carry is good stuff.
Good luck with you choice and your trip.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...=XPG+Deluxe+&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I never hesitate to spend serious bucks if it means a high-quality product. At the same time, I've seen too many examples of products being "high-end" simply because of their brand name, and don't throw my $$$ at them just for the bragging rights.

I have motorcycle tented at MOA rallies in Wyoming, Tennessee and Pennsylvania - all in quality products that withstood foul weather, lots of rain, high winds and nasty conditions.

My source: Wal-Mart or Amazon, for Coleman tents.

Never spent over $75 - i.e. the Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent!

Roomy (with 2 people, you need a 4-person tent, so space for all the gear), well-ventilated, no need for additional ground cloth, electrical access port, well-constructed, waterproof, etc.

Just say'in. :thumb

Last edited:
Sierra Trading Post & Sportsmans Guide are a couple more as is ebay if you know the item well. I prefer "free standing" tents.

tents

I have a REI Taj 3 person tent which I really like a lot but would like to have a little taller tent for maybe standing up and changing. Although the taj is a fine tent, we purchased a Big Agnes King Creek 4. A little taller, folds up compact, waterproof, great in wind and is my around favorite tent now. There is lots of room inside, I can stand up to change and is just really nice. It won't break you either. My wife and I can put it up in about 10 minutes without breaking into a sweat. That includes putting the stakes in. Great tent for the price at about $275.00 if you look around. Excellent quality. We also put a fold-up carpet in the vestibule so we don't track grass and dirt in. Works great.

The Catoma Switchback will sleep 2 comfortably and has 2 vestibules. It is a 2 wall tent with good ventilation so condensation is not a problem. I had an inexpensive Coleman tent (dome type) that packed smaller than the Catoma and was quite roomy. North Face & Big Agnes are seen at all rallys that I have attended. RIDE SAFE

Lots of closeouts and very good prices on high end gear at this time of year, REI, Cabelas, Eastern Mountain Sports, Campmor, Amazon, etc.

After a year of researching online and forums, I bought a Nemo 3 person. Nemo Losi means QUALITY. It has been simply outstanding in every way. Ease of assembly. Sturdy in the wind. Leakproof in the rain. It also rolls itself up inside a nice cover that fits neatly atop my GIVI top case.

Thanks for the info

Thanks everyone lots of great info.This helps alot Thanks again Steve from Iowa RIDE SAFE

The Catoma Switchback will sleep 2 comfortably and has 2 vestibules. It is a 2 wall tent with good ventilation so condensation is not a problem. I had an inexpensive Coleman tent (dome type) that packed smaller than the Catoma and was quite roomy. North Face & Big Agnes are seen at all rallys that I have attended. RIDE SAFE

+1 :thumb I purchased one last year. Sets up quickly, went through a bad storm and no water leakage, plenty of room, and not to pricy...

One thought is to buy a tent that is one size bigger than the number of people who will use it. ie If is just you get a 2 person, if you have a partner to share get a 3 person etc.

In June I am riding to Idaho from Iowa. We are going to camp . Can anyone recommend a decent two person tent that goes up fast and wont break the bank. nothing to big .I dont want junk . I am turning to all of you for advice. Thanks Steve from Iowa

One thought is to buy a tent that is one size bigger than the number of people who will use it. ie If is just you get a 2 person, if you have a partner to share get a 3 person etc.

It's a fact, not just a thought. :gerg

I have a backpacking tent Seirra designs clip flashlight that I used for years but since my bike now carries the weight instead of me I use a Kelty Salida 4 tent . I travel alone but it gives me plenty of room for my gear and enough room for me to sit up in a camp chair if the weather gets bad. I like having the room and the height is nice when getting dressed. I paid about $120.00 on sale

Agreed.

I normally buy a tent that is classified as a 4 season tent because of the added protection. I have found that you get what you pay for when purchasing a tent.

A few years ago, we were planning a winter snow trip and needed a backup tent so I purchased a model called "Extreme" made by a company called ALPS Mountaineering. It is offered in a two, three, or five person version and is a well designed tent with excellent ventilation.
ALPS manufactures this tent in two different fabrics, offering an "expedition" grade for serious use. If you like this tent, the expedition grade
is the one to buy. The standard model uses a lighter weight fabric to keep the weight down and to keep the tent at a lower price point.

What ever you purchase, do yourself a favor and set the tent up at home a few times before you take it out on the road.

BTW, REI has a great return policy on anything you buy from them. You can also rent a tent from them if you live near one of their stores:)

Last edited:
Ventilation

Probably not a problem n June but I always look for screens that go close to the ground. I hate trying to sleep on a warm night with any breeze blowing a foot or two above me.

My current favorites:)

Kelty Gunnison's 2,3and 4 man versions. And the "Big Fat Frog" sold by REI:). Lately, 2 doors(2 vestibules) have been to my liking. The latter Frog has one, but very cool tent. Ive had the smaller "Tadpole" version of the BFFrog for the last 20+ years by REI and its so bomb proof, cant kill it! So many tents and choices, from very little dollars spent to no sky's the limit spent. I go for the middle of the road $$$'s spent for some resemblance of quality:). Cannot convince me a 50$ General Store tent is equal to a 200+$ one at a REI.,etc. kind a place. No comparison, if you are a REAL camper, all kinds of weather, 4 seasons. I am the latter, camping off my m/c bikes now for near 50 years. Since before computers, pocket phones and most other comforts we share today:). Join me, camp in Salem at the Rally. Me and my GSA1200 sleep in the same patch of grass:). Randy;)

+1 on getting a 3 person tent. You will appreciate having the extra bit of room.

A suggestion I have not seen made (my apologies if it has) is to actually crawl inside a few. Many backpacking tents shave weight by going short. The angle of the walls will also have a major effect on usable interior space. I'm 6'2" and quite a few tents don't work for me because the angles of the walls are too sharp. I don't like sleeping with my head rubbing against the tent.

+1 for Kelty Gunnison's 4 :rocker
Designed for 4 Chinese man or 2 Americans (MEDIUM)
Easy to set up and take down.
Good Luck.

Back