• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Roundel for bing carb

TZOLK

Anyone have a lead or seen a small roundel that will fit over the top of the carb cap ,that little circle area. Ive found a couple of badges but they are just a little too big.

Try part # 51 14 2 308 800
It is the plaque for the cover on the upper fork bridge of at least a R1100RS. Have one, and just checked it on the bings on R90/6, should do the trick !

Tim

teeny tiny rondels

Bob's latest catalog has the specific rondel which will fit over the top of the Bing carb...
The on-line catalog does not seem to have this item. If memory serves, the little rondels are about six bucks apiece. I could be wrong.

Mac

Sounds about right...

Tom McIntyre said:
Bob's latest catalog has the specific rondel which will fit over the top of the Bing carb...
The on-line catalog does not seem to have this item. If memory serves, the little rondels are about six bucks apiece. I could be wrong.

Mac

I just ordered a tank roundel from Bob's and it was $6.99, so I've got to believe the smaller ones would be the same or less.

By the way, the online version of Bob's catalog that you can download in PDF format has part numbers that are superceded/incorrect. This is another reason why it's best if you use their 800 number and talk to a real, live person rather than fill out a form and fax it to them. The numbers may not be right.

I wish they'd just mail me a catalog without having to ask for it. I order from them like once or twice a year, they've got me and my bikes on file, I would hope that a catalog would just be sent to me.

By the way, the online version of Bob's catalog that you can download in PDF format has part numbers that are superceded/incorrect. This is another reason why it's best if you use their 800 number and talk to a real, live person rather than fill out a form and fax it to them. The numbers may not be right.

I wish they'd just mail me a catalog without having to ask for it. I order from them like once or twice a year, they've got me and my bikes on file, I would hope that a catalog would just be sent to me.

<rant>
Wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to just maintain their prices on the website? Mind boggling that some sites still torture the customers with a tiny print PDF catalog that can be downloaded from their site and is outdated almost as soon as it is published. Hellooooooo, I'm already on your site and you have my undivided attention, so just keep your site/database up to date add a real e-commerce engine and we'd all be happier. Heck, I might even be able to order the part online and grab some other things I would have not thought about on the phone. I'd also not have to pester your parts department as much. Otherwise, the PDF catalog is just a very long winded invitation to call them, frustratingly get put on hold and consume one of their employees time looking up a part price...from (ahem) a database. I'm sure other patrons in the store would appreciate not having to compete with a telephone since they made the trip to your store. For some reason, phones trump a live conversation. :scratch
</end-of-rant>
It's not just Bob's, others have similar approaches. I'd be happy to build it for them...for a fee of course. :deal :brow

Anyone have a lead or seen a small roundel that will fit over the top of the carb cap ,that little circle area. Ive found a couple of badges but they are just a little too big.

I like to use rally pins as cap covers. These two go back to the 80's! Finding pins that are the correct size for 40mm Bings is a challenge though.

FULLFILE-2011.jpg

FULLFILE-2012.jpg

Todd, if you try the suggested part # 51 14 2 308 800 and it works, would you post a picture?

I like the pics submitted by mymindsok, interesting idea. Got me thinking about things besides roundels.

Regards,

Barron

By-the-way...

I absolutely will not/cannot take credit for the idea of using rally pins on the carb tops.

That little trick was shown to me by by my friend Del Ward of Va Beach, VA over 20 years ago. Del took me under his wing back in 1980-something and taught me much or most of what I know about Airheads. He must be in his 80's now but he still rides his custom built R60 and a tricked-out custom R27. If any of you get out that way, give him a call, tell him Ken sent ya, and then stop by.

Del really knows his stuff!! :bow

Clear Silicone seems to work fine but every decade or so I remove them and re-glue em.

It's not like they need fresh silicone or anything but I believe in regular maintenance.

Back