• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R1200RT-P 2nd Battery

bobbbay

I have a 2006 R1200RT-P and wish to remove the second battery (located in the glove box). I realize that the second battery is charged by the alternator, so simple removal will create an alternator problem. I am also guessing that the relay located just below the battery is a charge relay and that removing this relay will allow the battery to be removed with out a problem--anyone got a clue? is this is correct........or have a the key to removal?
Bob Wilson 186935

Hi Bobbbay - Interesting question regarding that 2nd battery issue in your bike. My thought is that you might have a talk with a mechanic at a police department which has some of these in service. You had not shared any location information with us, so maybe there's no one near you. Please give us some location information, and I'd bet someone could help.:dance

06 R1200RTP 2nd battery

Hi Bob,

Check out this link.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71337&highlight=conversion

It's in the BMW Lux bike forum. A fellow did a full conversion of a RTP To RT. I believe he addresses the battery issue.

Hope it helps.

Bob

Bob
Thanks so much for sending the link, it will be helpful. It does not reference the second battery which is a shame, the second battery issue is only because it is located up high, takes up all of the glove box space and weighs about 20lbs. Just would be nice to get it off the bike, lower the weight and be able to use the glove box space.
It is a shame there is such limited information on the "P" bike, great bike but finding help with issues is difficult.
Once again, I really appreciate your help.
Bob

Location..........06 RT1200RTP--2nd battery

Hi Bobbbay - Interesting question regarding that 2nd battery issue in your bike. My thought is that you might have a talk with a mechanic at a police department which has some of these in service. You had not shared any location information with us, so maybe there's no one near you. Please give us some location information, and I'd bet someone could help.:dance

John,
Thanks for your post. I am located in Blaine, WA. Nearest city of any size is Bellingham, WA and this is where the bike was in service. I have not called for assistance but think that will be my next move. The closest BMW dealer is Seattle (100+ miles), they seem a little cool to any assistance unless I take the bike to them. I can't blame them as that's how they make a living.
There seems to be little in the way of help for the "P" bike, the stigma of "cop bike" seems to put folks off. I was able to get the wiring diagram for the police equipment but all hardware has been removed anyway. Electric issues for the R1200 are still normal and I have a diagram (in German) but it, again leaves a bunch to imagination.
Once again, thank you for your post.
Bob

Bob
Thanks so much for sending the link, it will be helpful. It does not reference the second battery which is a shame, the second battery issue is only because it is located up high, takes up all of the glove box space and weighs about 20lbs. Just would be nice to get it off the bike, lower the weight and be able to use the glove box space.
It is a shame there is such limited information on the "P" bike, great bike but finding help with issues is difficult.
Bob

May I suggest you email the author of this link? I am sure he had to deal with the battery issue even though he did not address it. Let me know and I will email him for you.

Bob

Bob
Bob

Bob,
I sent a question to the author of the RTP conversion link I forwared you earlier. I will let you know what he says.

Bob,
I sent a question to the author of the RTP conversion link I forwared you earlier. I will let you know what he says.

Bob,
Thanks so much, I will hope to hear from him. Funny but BMW had an entire conversion kit for the earlier police bikes and even though expensive, they had some takers. Seems like there are quite a few 1200Ps out there but not too much infor--maybe I'm not digging hard enough!!
Thanks so much for your post and time spent e-mailing the conversion author.
Bob

Bob,
Thanks so much, I will hope to hear from him. Funny but BMW had an entire conversion kit for the earlier police bikes and even though expensive, they had some takers. Seems like there are quite a few 1200Ps out there but not too much infor--maybe I'm not digging hard enough!!
Thanks so much for your post and time spent e-mailing the conversion author.
Bob

Did not have much luck, here is his response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinkleylaNE
A question please.

Did you do anything about the second battery. A fellow RTP owner has ask about the removal of the second battery on the MOA forum and I volunteered to check with you.
Bob

My RT already had it removed, the connections were wrapped in rubber and tucked away. I have since installed a Alpine CD player in place.
The connections are however still there if I ever want a second battery which I don't.
Its a matter of removing the right tank fairing. Opening the CD player Tupperwarebox, disconnecting battery from relay and covering the connections so they don't short.

Sorry I could not have been more helpfull.

Bob

Aux Battery

Did not have much luck, here is his response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinkleylaNE
A question please.

Did you do anything about the second battery. A fellow RTP owner has ask about the removal of the second battery on the MOA forum and I volunteered to check with you.
Bob

My RT already had it removed, the connections were wrapped in rubber and tucked away. I have since installed a Alpine CD player in place.
The connections are however still there if I ever want a second battery which I don't.
Its a matter of removing the right tank fairing. Opening the CD player Tupperwarebox, disconnecting battery from relay and covering the connections so they don't short.

Sorry I could not have been more helpfull.

Bob

Bob,
This is the answer I have been looking for! Thank you soooooooo much for taking the time to follow my post; happy riding!
Bob

Bob,

While I realize North Seattle is still 90+ miles from Blaine, there is an alternative to Ride West BMW. Mick Vallantine used to be a certified BMW tech with Cascade BMW, a defunct BMW motorcycle dealer formerly located in Kirkland. He's had his own shop for quite a few years now. Best of all, he's an expert on RTPs! As I'm sure you're aware, the Washington State Patrol used to have a fleet of BMW RTPs. While they are slowly replacing the RTPs with ST1300 police bikes, there are still plenty of 1150RTPs and 1200RTPs in the State Patrol fleet. State Troopers are allowed to have their bikes worked on by whoever they want. Some take their bikes to Ride West, but most take their bikes to Mick. Since I too own a RTP, I like patronizing a mechanic who always has several State Patrol RTPs in the shop for service. He knows what he's doing when it comes to RTPs.

http://www.vallantinemotorworks.com/

For what it's worth, I like having the 2nd battery. I can always jump-start myself. I run my cockpit electronics (GPS, cell phone, radar detector, iPod) as well as my PIAA 1100x lights on the auxiliary battery circuit, with everything else running off the main battery circuit. If you want to eliminate 20 pounds of top-heavy weight, keep your gas tank half-full :stick

Bob,

While I realize North Seattle is still 90+ miles from Blaine, there is an alternative to Ride West BMW. Mick Vallantine used to be a certified BMW tech with Cascade BMW, a defunct BMW motorcycle dealer formerly located in Kirkland. He's had his own shop for quite a few years now. Best of all, he's an expert on RTPs! As I'm sure you're aware, the Washington State Patrol used to have a fleet of BMW RTPs. While they are slowly replacing the RTPs with ST1300 police bikes, there are still plenty of 1150RTPs and 1200RTPs in the State Patrol fleet. State Troopers are allowed to have their bikes worked on by whoever they want. Some take their bikes to Ride West, but most take their bikes to Mick. Since I too own a RTP, I like patronizing a mechanic who always has several State Patrol RTPs in the shop for service. He knows what he's doing when it comes to RTPs.

For what it's worth, I like having the 2nd battery. I can always jump-start myself. I run my cockpit electronics (GPS, cell phone, radar detector, iPod) as well as my PIAA 1100x lights on the auxiliary battery circuit, with everything else running off the main battery circuit. If you want to eliminate 20 pounds of top-heavy weight, keep your gas tank half-full :stick

Or....mabey stop drinking beer. That CG is even higher than the tank....but not by much...LOL
:drink

Maybe you are right!

Bob,

Got to thinking about it and you have a good point. If I use the main batt. for electric clothing, cell, gps/map etc., I will need to wire the entire system to go off with the key or..........dead batt. If I run the aux. batt. dead, I just run the aux. batter dead;-it is isolated has no refection upon the main batt., this might be worth the extra 20LBS or so. It avoids the worry of screwing up the CanBus system in any way shape or form and since it already sports a aux. output, all things are good.

My original thought was to re-engineer this bike, maybe I am on the wrong track-Germans are good engineers to start with. Listening to all the feedback I have received sort of gives me a better view of the problem.

Now I am going to work onto the "P" bike expert in Kirkland (www.valantinemotorworks.com) to run a few ideas past him. I will pay him for an hours worth of time and see what he might have to say.

Seems funny, I bought the "P" bike because of esthetics, I like the balance of how the radio box is the height of the dash, it is balanced. There are a lot of options that I would like to have had but once the emergency stuff is stripped, a different crash bar is installed--I like the balanced look of the bike.

So, tell me a little about your RTP.

Thanks so much for your suggestions: MOA folks rock!
Bob

RTP Front pod lights replace with driving lights

2007 RTP. Fun Ride, new to me. Just beginning to get some time and add some driving lights where the original pods were. Wires and brackets are there.

1. Suggest lights for me.
2. Can I use the existing wiring? I'd like them mostly for people to see me better

Thanks for your help

dave

2007 RTP. Fun Ride, new to me. Just beginning to get some time and add some driving lights where the original pods were. Wires and brackets are there.

1. Suggest lights for me.
2. Can I use the existing wiring? I'd like them mostly for people to see me better

Thanks for your help

dave

Just put any old lights there and wear a black and white helmet (you don't even have to hook up the lights). I think that you will be amazed how well people see you.

Back