• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

bought a new airhead, cause I'm an airhead... or ...something.

Roguetek

002.jpg

snagged for $1200.00

will need a stiff cleaning, fresh points and plugs, correct wire ends, and probably carb rebuild, and front brake rebuild.

and a paint job...

Welcome to one of the sane activities today, working on an airhead and then riding it for enjoyment. Other BMW models can be included also, but airheads are in a special place in the history, performance and expense/return for investment.

Welcome to the asylum

Nice.... Those cases look like a Wixom set...niceeeee. Welcome and have fun.:clap another airhead NOT being parted out or junked yeaaaa:groovy so what's the model and year? Looks like its got some mix match not sure though...

serial comes back as a 1973 r90/6

and other than the horrid fairing, it's not bad.

And this would make the...4th airhead I've rescued from the breakers.

and while it's bad, it's not 'Renegade!' bad. long time forum members might remember Renegade. poor guy, I wonder if he ever did get that thing rebuilt...

New Baby

Paint job? We don't NEED no stinkin' paint job!

I think that might be the rare original and beautiful "Gilbert Grape" color -- one of the few colors that the factory applied by brush, versus spray-gun. Be a shame to change it.

Merit Badge with Oak Leaf Cluster for you -- save #4, and counting!

Walking Eagle

can't quite tell from the pic- but if a '73 then the front rotor should be solid and not drilled. Also, original issue in '74 came with a kicker on the trans. Somethings been changed in that regard, me thinks.

And, it's probably actually a 1974, as 1973 was still a /5, and '74 was first year in US of the /6. Date of manufacture is likely listed as sometime in 1973.

Sorry, you're right.. I think in terms of 'year of manufacture'

it was built 10/73... which makes it a 1974 year model.

sorry for the confusion.

Paint job? We don't NEED no stinkin' paint job!

I think that might be the rare original and beautiful "Gilbert Grape" color -- one of the few colors that the factory applied by brush, versus spray-gun. Be a shame to change it.

Merit Badge with Oak Leaf Cluster for you -- save #4, and counting!

Walking Eagle

no, it was sprayed on. I call it 'poverty purple'...

According to the PO, the painter mixed all the dregs he had lying around, and shot the bike. That was the color. It's aweful, it looks like a -bruise-.

Back