• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bing CV carb position/level

jettagli16v

Ok airhead gurus,

Just finished spline lube on tranny and putting the r100s back together- how I love repair manuals that say
"Make sure to position carb properly" without giving diagrams or explaining! :banghead So far searches on topic have been unfruitful- How are you supposed to position carbs angle/rotation wise? Pivot in/out or level and what do you use as point of reference? Thank you!

This is a good question! For my '77 R100S I used a pocket level across the tops and simply set both level. There is a certain amount of inclination that's already built in so not much variation allowed there.

Seems like you would not want too much tilt as it would affect the float level?

Inquiring minds want to know!:scratch

This is a topic for debate.

There have been a couple of folks who recommend tilting the carbs slightly inward to reduce the bend at the end of the throttle cable. I think the angle of 10 degrees has been thrown about.

Others swear by level.

:lurk

Barron

Yep. I eyeball mine as well for perpendicular orientation.

Stand behind bike and "eyeball" that both carbs are perpendicular...straight up and down.

There was quite a discussion on this awhile back. If my memory serves me right there was no correct answer, but photos I have from old ad slicks from the 80s show them tilted in a bit. One person also said that they seem to fit the tubes better when they are rotated in a little, like the tubes were made for this. I loosened the carbs on my Motorsport and tried it and they did seem to "snap" into place when slightly tilted in. Anyway, mine have always been rotated in about 10 to 15 degrees.

Wayne

Snowbum sez.............

"The carburetors should be mounted squarely to the motorcycle. View from the top, and a few feet to the rear of the bike. Do NOT tilt the tops towards, or away, from the motorcycle."

This is from his site at: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/technical-articles-list.htm

Item #3 3. Carburetors PART 1, overhaul; GENERAL NOTES, HINTS, floats testing leaking
tops & dome inserts, tricky enrichener discs/shafts assemblies, Bing
Independent Float Kits (see 5 below for all those details), ETC. rev. 11/06/2012

or go directly to the page @: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/bingcv.htm

To find this statement, go almost all the way down the thread to just above the paragraph titled "Carb Top Stains" to 2 paragraphs above.

Don't know if this is the definitive answer, but FWIW he's an Airhead guru.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

Back