• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

carhartt coveralls for winter?

ezwicky

howdy all,

i have been reading a lot of revzilla reviews as well as reviews here on winter riding gear, and a thought struck me after seeing jackets upwards of $400.

does anybody just use carhartt quilted coveralls for winter riding? i used to wear them back in the '80s when i last rode and they were perfect (for central VA winters, where it can go down to the single-digits rarely, and most of the time in the 40s).

i don't like the idea of an all-in-one jacket, nor do i like zipping out liners and zipping them back in. i'd rather have something simple for the winter that i can wear over my clothes, and spend decent money on a good leather jacket for spring, summer and fall, and a rain suit to put on over it if needed.

does anybody else do this?

thanks,

-eric

What are the Carhartt coveralls made of? The jackets seem to be made of a very heavy canvas (probably cotton) that wouldn't offer much abrasion protection in a slide. They make great work clothes but m-c gear has to meet different needs. If you are looking for heavy canvas gear, check out Duluth Trading Co. I'm looking at some heavy duty work pants with knee pockets for pads. Better than plain bluejeans.

pete

The gear that works for any one rider is dependent an a lot of variables. Short rides in nice weather is far different that long rides in geographical areas that can throw all kinds of temperatures and precipitation at you.

I too was skeptical of spending $400 on a jacket when I got back into riding a few years ago. However riding in my area for about a half a year, I learned much. No way I was going to wear my leather jacket in the summer, as the temps reach the high 90s to low triple digits. Nor did I want to pack and drag along rain gear to go over my leathers in the winter months, as storms happen unpredictably in these mountains. So, after those six months to dealing with the weather, my comfort and protection of my skin, I convinced myself that the $400 (neither the most expensive nor the least expensive jacket) for my Cycleport jacket with it's two separate liners was worth the investment. Best decision I've made. I use it all twelve months of the year. Riding in hot summer temps, with no liners, I'm quite comfortable as long as I'm moving, and obviously I can take it off when I stop. In the coldest wither riding (13 deg. F, is the lowest I've ridden in so far) with both liners, quite warm! The liners stow in the back of the jacket when not in use, so you always have them handy when needed. And the bonus is the high visibility of the colors which in my older more sensible years make more sense than black or dark brown leather. Even though I have always loved leather, and still do I am always happy with my $400 Cycleport jacket decision!

BTW, I have Carhartt work cloths that I wear when I am working in my shop. They make great work cloths, that's because that is exactly what they are designed for. Obviously I don't wear my Cycleport while working in the shop.

Carhartt makes very good long wearing work clothes, but I would not trust them for protection when sliding down the road.

I'm OK with the coverall concept. I use them all the time as I'm outside in bad (cold/wet) weather more than I like. I like to take the purchase a step further and pick them up at a uniform/work clothes supply store in the embroidered with the wrong name dept. The pair I have now has "Ron's Transmission" on them and were real reasonably priced due to the name. Around the farm on the bike they are fine except you will have to take the hood off when on the bike so the excess flapping doesn't get on your nerves :D OM

I'd wear MC gear on the outside(with the liners) & electrically solve the cold issue via Gerbings,etc., w/o having all that heavy canvas stuff weighing me down while riding. As for shop "attire" I wear bib overalls & dislike Carhartt/canvas as denim's softer & more comfy. Now if I was in heavy construction maybe I'd switch.

Whatever works:)

I too have used Carhartt for decades around the ranch and so on, but not on bikes. I go for the proper m/c stuff with padding and cordura strength. Some leather gear too. The padded C suit works for you, use it. They are tough suits/apparell I have no issue with. Your choice. No padding, but I have not slid down any roadways in recent decades either, so the odd's may be in your favor. Its NOT the sliding thats going to hurt, ITS the sudden impacts and no suit is going to help! Of course sliding will be bad too, if wearing lightwieght apparrel. Skin vs. asphalt thing:(:(:(. Randy;)

Take a look at Duluth Trading Co's Whaleback Cargo Pants. . . They're waterproof, windproof and well-insulated, have quite a lot more protection than Carhartt-type canvas. Also have some nice features like pass-through pockets and built-in gaiters to seal up the ankles. I dont think they'll keep you dry in a monsoon because the seams, etc. arent sealed like true riding pants, but I havent gotten wet yet in normal winter or drizzly fall riding.
They're not armored kevlar riding pants, but they're warm, dry and comfortable and unlike armored pants, useful for other activities too. Buy them big, get some suspenders, and wear them over Sliders or other kevlar jeans, or over work clothes for your commute.

Back