• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1990 R100RT clutch sticking

Bob 1642

I left my R100RT on the back of our motorhome in Florida while we flew home for Christmass & New Years. After 30 days away the bike was hard to start draining the carbs fixed that. The clutch makes a binding noise when I pull the clutch handle and grabs when released slowly.I have lubed the cable and leavers but it made no differance. The free travel of the cable is smooth. I can hear the springs in the clutch when I pull the leaver and something sounds dry. All was good when I left the bike what did the weather do to it? Cheers Bob

Transmission input splines (which the clutch disk slides on) might be gumming and/or not sliding as it should. I suspect you'll need to dive in for some servicing.

I agree, the salt air has most likely corroded the input shaft and clutch spline. The clutch cable, if factory, is lined and should not be lubed.

My RT was the same way when I bought it last spring. Several experienced RT friends, including a BMW wrench, all said the same thing, "it just needs to be used". In my case, they were correct. After a couple of thousand miles it did clear up.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replys.I went to the grocery store in Cedar Key and bought some 3in1 oil and lubed the linkage. After sitting all night all is working smoothly this morring. The heat and dew is what did it in. Cheers Bob

Back