• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

California's Sutter Buttes; a perfect little winter loop.

Thanks for the trip! I've traveled every side of the Buttes many times, however I have never circumnavigated them.

Last summer I took a trip where I decided to take a route I have never done. Having moved from Woodland to Trinity County some seven years ago, I tend to need to go back for visits from time to time. This particular time, i was not under the burden of the clock, so I decided to point my 12C towards a new, for me, road. Once I turned of Hwy 36 in Red Bluff, I got on 99W south. That road changes names a few times as you head south through some wonderful ag lands and ends at Hwy 32. A slight jog to the east and you can turn south on Hwy 45, this is the part I have never been on in my 50 plus years living in the area. Although I had time for this trip, I did have a meeting that I needed to attend, so no time for photos (which I now regret, maybe another trip is due). A gradual change in the type of ag as you get further south on 45, was not only very interesting, it was amazing peaceful landscapes. The Sac river comes and goes from your view, with a couple of spots where you could easily dip your toes in the fast moving waters. Short stop in Colusa at the wonderful park with lots of old shade trees and a super clean restroom. At Knights Landing, a turn onto Hwy 113, which brought back many memories, and on into Woodland. Must do again!

Yeah. State Route 45, which starts in Hamilton City, traces the west side of the Sacramento River. At some places it follows the levee system, in others it drops into walnut orchards and rice land. The run from Colusa is quite nice.

Little known fact: Prior to the completion of the transcontinental railroad, the river port at Colusa shipped more wheat than any other transhipment point in the US. The grain went on skows to SF Bay, thence, by who-knows-what around the horn to New York state. With the coming of the railroad, the interior of the country opened up. Ease of plowing up the ground and planting wheat, in part, precipitated the dust bowl. With the market for California wheat gone, Colusa area growers switched to rice and other row crops, water being so plentiful.

You're right! Great little parks in Colusa - one in town and one on the river - and a great jumping off point for heading west on highway 20 past Clear Lake and back toward the coast.

Back