• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Capital Cycle parts

SCBuckeye

I am not sure of site policy on asking questions like this, but I would like to ask anyway.

Have any of you purchased parts from Capital Cycle? Are they reliable and honest? Are prices fair, and parts - are they good quality?

Years ago (around 25 years) I had a bad experience with them that cost me around $80.00. Just a quick explanation without details. They sent me a damaged part, that was clearly damaged before it was shipped, yet they wouldn't stand behind it. Then they accused me of damaging it, so they wouldn't take it back! They refused to even discuss issue.

What about now?

Do any of you have any other place(s) which would be better places to go to purchase parts?

I am not planning on purchasing anything exotic, but normal wear replacement parts.

Thanks,

I get all of my parts from either Max BMW or Hucky's. Each has slightly different flavor and unique aspect to their collection. Many years of nothing but great service and no hesitation in recommending them.

Of course, as Lew points out, there are others in the resources link. We re lucky.

Barron

About 3 yrs I purchased my rebuild parts for r100gs, good prices and excellent shipping across border to Canada.

I also have good service from max and they deal across border well too.

As max has all the online fiche I find myself using them mostly now, they have invested a lot to support us on this website And deserves the business in my view. Also fair prices in comparison.

I've dealt with Capitol Cycle twice. Both times, I got exactly what I paid for. I can't really say they're great, they're just kinda... 'meh'...

Wish I could remember which one used to include free candy...

Wish I could remember which one used to include free candy...

That should be Max BMW...M&Ms I think. IIRC, Tom Cutter of Rubberchickenracinggarage includes a rubber chicken with his orders. But I don't buy parts for the goodies they may or may not include in the shipment.

when i first got my R90/6 back in early november, i got a few maintenance items from capital cycle just from having found them via a web search. then barron w told me about max's and their fiche system, which really is a great way to find exactly the part you need. compared to that, capital's catalogue is very clunky.

i have since ordered several shipments from max and am totally satisfied. i have also started ordering from bob's bmw in MD because they are closer to me and if i need something quick, it usually gets here the next day even with priority mail or fedex ground. they use the fiche system also, but max's is better because they put comments and pictures within each fiche sub-section, whereas bob's does not. sometimes i have been guided by advice in that little section as to which parts are needed with other parts. "if you get X you should also get Y". that was especially helpful with my recent carb rebuild.

i've also been told that rusty gill at max's is an invaluable resource for advice on airhead parts, though i haven't had to consult him yet.

but back to capital.... my one order from them was no problem.

-eric

Max's and Link "source listing"

I think that pretty much the agreement is Max's. I have a friend who recently purchased from Max's and loved the service. He also loved the fact that they had the diagrams and he could actually know the part numbers.

I am going to need some help as I go, so I am hoping that someone there is willing to help me understand so I get the exact right part. If I do start tearing down, I want the correct replacement parts already here when I begin. I don't want to get it apart, order parts, wait..., get parts, find out they are wrong, wait some more.... to get them returned.

I am not saying that I wouldn't ever purchase again from Capital, but now with the internet, there are so many more choices, and now, especially from one supplier I got some excellent advice - so I purchased from him! I think his business is called Motorad Electrik (pardon the misspelling if there is one).

Also, can someone show me the exact steps on this website how to navigate to the web address: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthre...rces-and-Links.

Of course, I can use the address and paste it into my browser, but I would rather know where to locate it on this website, and navigate there when I need to.

Thanks so much. You all are GREAT!!!

can someone show me the exact steps on this website how to navigate to the web address: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthre...rces-and-Links.

Easy jimmy..

From the beginning... click on "Forums" > "The Garage" (where you find "Airheads") go to the bottom of the page > "Links & References" (mia culpa... I previously called it "Resources")

forum page.JPG

I think his business is called Motorad Electrik (pardon the misspelling if there is one).

Missed in by one "k". Rick Jones is Da'man!!

I've used Hucky's , Max and Re-Psycle.All were very good in my opinion and for different reasons. I will say that the New Hampshire store of Max's is better for Airhead parts that the Troy store.

I have been buying parts for my BMWs at BMW of Chicago and Max BMW in CT. both are excellant.

The Chicago BMW that I used to buy parts from -with a discount- is gone. While I don't expect a freebie from a business: Is there a BMW dealer that currently offers a similar discount on OEM parts? I get that on car parts but have no similar deal for my bikes, in fact it's easy to get ~20% off on BMW car parts w/o being in business.

I am not sure of site policy on asking questions like this, but I would like to ask anyway.

Have any of you purchased parts from Capital Cycle? Are they reliable and honest? Are prices fair, and parts - are they good quality?

Years ago (around 25 years) I had a bad experience with them that cost me around $80.00. Just a quick explanation without details. They sent me a damaged part, that was clearly damaged before it was shipped, yet they wouldn't stand behind it. Then they accused me of damaging it, so they wouldn't take it back! They refused to even discuss issue.

What about now?

Do any of you have any other place(s) which would be better places to go to purchase parts?

I am not planning on purchasing anything exotic, but normal wear replacement parts.

Thanks,
I have dealt with Capital many times. Back in the days they used to send catalogs via snail-mail to all BMW owners.

All back in the 1970s and 1980's. I didn't know they are still in business. I never had any problem with them at all, but things can change a lot over the years.

BTW, how could you tell the part was damaged before it was shipped?

-Don- SSF, CA

Capital cycle used to be a major airhead mail order parts distributor ~ 20+ years ago. Today, they have diversified and have some airhead parts. The last items I got from them were instrument hoods (#62111356676) and advance unit grease. They are (or claim to be) a major importer of the Hepco-Becker bags - and have keys and locks but not airhead 'classic' bags. I keep them in mind but most items are ordered through Bobs or Max BMW. YMMV.

Capital Cycle

I used to buy from them in the 70's. They mailed a catalogue and were a good source. Better than my local dealer. I visited their store one time. It was in the worst part of DC.
About four years ago I needed a wiring harness for my '93 R100RT. I called and they ordered and charge me about $50 more than the quote. When I called, they said "we have to make money." With the excellent parts service available from Max and Bob's I no longer choose Capital Cycle.
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Max's New Hampshire. . .

Rusty Gill - Airhead Expert Parts Manager, is in the NH store.

++1 on the fiche information at Max's, which I suspect is mostly Rusty's doing.

Great people, and fresh M & M's with every order.

Walking Eagle

Capital Cycle & problem

I had purchased a chromed header pipe for a R50/2 (As I can recall, over $80.00 each!). I forget the reason, but after receiving it, I either didn't need it, or I had changed my mind and decided not to use it. Their policy allowed for its return if in original sellable condition. It was EXACTLY as I had received it!

How did I know it was damaged PRIOR to shipping? It was wrapped with heavy light brown wrapping paper (similar to the way they used to wrap tires) - each wrap would extend down the pipe about another inch or two. Well, when I began to unwrap, I noticed the pipe had a scratch in it. THEY said that I was the one who must have scratched it because they didn't ship it that way. I asked them how they could know since the wrapping was on it, and it appeared to me that the wrapping was there from its manufacture? Secondly, there was NO damage to the box that it came in (along with other stuff) to my home. The final clincher, and the one they refused to listen to, is the scratch was UNDER the chrome plating, and clearly wasn't scratched AFTER the chrome plating. They refused to take it back.

The real clincher, though, was, that the scratch was on the pipe near the tail end, about a 1/2 inch from the exit end - the scratch would have been covered up by the muffler! They just didn't want to take back the return and clearly used the scratch as their excuse. So, I lost out.

I decided then, that I would no longer purchase from them.

So...if I can avoid it, I will.

Don't get me wrong, I know that there ARE people out there who are dishonest and will try to cheat a company, but I am not one of them! I go "above and beyond" to give everyone else the benefit of the doubt, and to be as honest as I can be.

To this day, I still think they should make it right, as I didn't have the money to waste!

Hope all you Capital fans out there are not offended!

Not to make a big "second guessing thing" here but does the use of "their",etc. imply that you did in fact try to reason with a principal party at that dealer? I have found that it's often needed to go beyond the lower part of the food chain to get satisfaction from a company. Sounds like you had a reasonable claim. It's can be tempting at the point of dissatisfaction to walk away to a more comfortable activity, rather than into confrontation.

Back