• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Waterless coolant

toshibgood

Hi Guys

I saw a show (Wheeler Dealers) the other day that showed them installing a waterless coolant in a car. I had never heard of it before. They said a lot of good things about it. I went to a website for Evans waterless coolant to check it out. The reviews were very good, with one person with a BMW LT that really liked it too. I'm thinking about getting some.
Any thoughts or experiences with it? Anybody know off hand how much the coolant capacity is for my K1200GT? It's like $35 per gallon. If I change I'll report back in with the results.

Thanks

John

K1200GT cooling system capacity.

From the trusty-rusty DVD... 3.5 Liters. "Nitrite-free" and "with corrosion-inhibitors" are the only specified qualities, which isn't really helpful on-line researching.

I saw this stuff on Amazon and eBay, and I smell snake-oil, though that's hardly scientific or even rational. This seemed like an internally- and externally-consistent source of information: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/841/coolant-fundamentals

Given that others here have reported finding Prestone or other commonplace brands that work AND cost 1/3rd of BMW's re-branded Pentosin (which isn't much cheaper), may I suggest caution here? I'd love to know if this stuff works, but I'd rather hear a chemist explain it than have you run the risk of a wrecked motor. Note that even if your engine ISN'T wrecked prematurely, we still won't have usable proof that this stuff is safe/effective.

My 2 cents, and not worth even half that.
Ben

waterless coolant

Thanks Ben

What I have found out so far is that the enemy to the engine from water type coolants (including antifreeze mixes) is electrolysis that causes the metals in the water passages to degrade. It is apparently caused by the pH of the water.
The waterless coolant contains no acids so that is why it is advantages. I'm still researching.

Thanks for your input.

John

Don't just do something ... sit there.

This should be the response to "liquid solutions."

Back