• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

r1100rt Radio Question

stagewex

This might apply to any and all BMW stock factory radios but I have a 1996 r1100rt. I was going to replace the broken stock BMW radio with one from a salvaged bike (not an after-market upgrade). Problem is that the seller of the radio does not have the "code" to un-lock it. My experience has been that whenever I had to do some work on the bike in the past that required me to disconnect the battery the little red radio power light would "light-up" but would not function until I entered the BMW code that was written down in my owners manual. Can a dealer find that code for me from this salvage unit or is there some other way to open it? Understandably it is an anti-theft thing.
I don't really listen to music/radio when I ride but when I'm taking a break I sometimes do. And I don't like having anything on the bike not working.
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Mike Wex (Wekselblatt)
'96 r1100rt

Possibly/probably the procedure has changed since then, but back when I bought my K100LT, they told me that if I lost the code in the book, they'd have to contact the factory for the number. You'd need the VIN of the bike (may be an issue for you - perhaps just a good explanation...) and the serial number of the radio itself.

Maybe it can be cracked open and hard-wired around the security/power-on stages?

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought in the first place. I don't think a lot of folks know because it they are replacing or upgrading it's usually for an after-market unit or if a new one from BMW it will come with it's own new code. Guess I'll pass on the offer.

Again, Thanks,

Mike Wex
'96 r1100rt

Back