• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

side stand 91 GS 100

KOSAN

I'm looking for a better sidestand for 91 GS One that doesn't automatically raises would be great.

I don't know about the '91 but the earlier Airhead sidestands which retract automatically can be modified so that it stays down and must be manually retracted. It has to do with changing the angle or direction of pull on the spring. Loosening the mount and shifting the anchor point is what does it. Mind you, if you forget to retract the sidestand, you may be in for a surprise at your first left turn! :banghead

I don't know about the '91 but the earlier Airhead sidestands which retract automatically can be modified so that it stays down and must be manually retracted. It has to do with changing the angle or direction of pull on the spring. Loosening the mount and shifting the anchor point is what does it. Mind you, if you forget to retract the sidestand, you may be in for a surprise at your first left turn! :banghead

I did this originally and felt it was unsafe as well as a pain to retract because of it's being so far forward and under the cylinder head. The one I have now (mentioned in an earlier post) is easy to retract and positioned such that when I put my feet on the ground before riding off, they touch the stand alerting me that I haven't retracted it.

GS side stand

The only side stand that is worse than my R80G/S is the one on my R100RS. Both are extremely difficult to deploy and one has to wonder just what they were thinking. The R100RS lower fairing increases the difficulty exponentially and for that reason it is my candidate for worst side stand ever.

Fortunately the Brown side stand solved my issues on the RS very nicely. Awesome, strong and well positioned. It's really too bad there is no Brown stand for the G/S since the price is a lot more attractive than anything else I have seen out there.

I believe http://www.overland-solutions.com/ in England also makes stands for G/S and GS bikes but you would need to contact them and ask them how much to "knock one up" for your bike. You may find them pretty spendy also but they do premium custom work. Worth checking out the cost. Please let us know if you do.

I checked out http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfi...="SUREFOOT"+SIDESTANDS&model=&bike=
They still sell the SureFoot stands but they don't appear to have one for your 91 GS. Again, too bad as that is also a pretty good stand and very affordable.

Back