• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

stalling - gt 650

now at 1000 miles - have had to re-start after stall (engine quits) at a stop. Has happened 4 times in last 2 days. Once amazingly starter kicked in and it restarted itself! Will pay more attention to see if instrument cluster quits too. Planning to stop in at dealer - see if they have any service bulletins. I saw some posts awhile back about similar but none lately on this forum. Any ideas?

Webbikeworld.com has a 650GT blog, I think he has a section about that very issue. someone said it was evap hose or somthing.
visit his website and it also talks about the chain drive loose bolts.

I was one of the people experiencing it, perhaps the first (I'm one of the two JWs Rick mentions).

On my bike, they readapted the fuel injection, adjusted what I think they said was the idle stepper motor, and also rerouted the evap canister hose, which was clearly incorrectly routed on my bike.

Since they did this, I've put another 350 or so miles on my bike with no stalls, though once or twice, the RPMs fell below idle under the same circumstance - when traveling at low speed, 10-15mph or less, give it some gas and then chop the throttle. There was also some occasional bucking and surging under constant throttle at 20-25mph, which might or might not have been related, and which I *have* experienced twice since then when the bike was cold, though less severely. I don't think I've put enough miles on it yet to be confident the problem is totally gone, as on mine, it only happened a couple of times in 500 miles to begin with, and the last time, it started dying and then wouldn't stop (a dozen+ times in one day, becoming easily reproducible), but it's much, much harder to get the RPMs to drop below idle now, even for a blink, I can't get it to do that now most of the time, so it could be that the idle circuit just wasn't giving enough fuel or something.

BMW had originally told them to look at the sidestand sensor and one other thing too - can't recall what that was, but BMW definitely knows about the issue, the dealer should contact BMW NA. If you find out anything more, please do post! Aside from this one issue, AFAIC, this bike is just about perfect, and they may very well have fixed it on mine.

Last edited:
Mine has another 550 miles or so on it now or so and no repeats. Could have been sensitivity to fuel (ethanol or otherwise), could have been the idle stepper motor or something else they adjusted when I brought it in per above. Either way, color me very relieved and in love with the bike again.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm at almost 3000 miles now and no stalling or anything close to it, running great, love it love it love it! The only thing I didn't like was the seat, and since putting the Russell on, it's a dream, I rode it 220 miles today back and forth to the Quail Motorcycle Gathering in Monterey.

One stall right after 600 mile service, now at 3,200 miles

As stated by WebBike World:

Note: All U.S. scooter owners should report stalling problems to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Once they get enough complaints, they'll investigate and possibly issue a recall. Stalling in traffic is a very dangerous situation. More here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I am almost stalling on my sport, the only thing that is keeping it from going out totally is the power commander tuning, so just the fueling is not necessarily the issue if even mine wants to die with the added fuel I have on all rpms.
I will see this saturday with the bike going to bmw for the first service at 1200miles

Stalled again this morning roll up to red light.

I'm wondering if it could be the ignition switch. I have a Chevy and that model has the same type of problem due to bad ignition switches, I carry a spare now...5 mins to change out

150 miles from Pensacola to Chicago?!
Wait, I have to check my map. :stick

Don't freak out, change your petrol source.

See JiminSF earlier post

[On my bike, they readapted the fuel injection, adjusted what I think they said was the idle stepper motor, and also rerouted the evap canister hose, which was clearly incorrectly routed on my bike.]

I had been experiencing this problem since early December and was not having any success getting it resolved with the dealer or customer service. They insisted that the dealer needed to be able to replicate the issue before anything could be done, regardless of all of the anecdotal information being discussed on the many forums. I couldn't get it to replicate for the dealer and they couldn't either. I read a riders comment on the webbikeworld scooter blog that when you open the throttle very gradually and you feel it start to stumble at 2500 to 3000 RPM snap the throttle closed and it will often stall. I took it to the dealer with all of printed materials and included JiminSF's information from his earlier post. The dealer has remapped the computer and I would bet if you take it in they can get it fixed now. If they can't have them call the service manager from BMW Motorcycles Fort Worth and speak to the Service Manager Ryan. :banghead

I have had almost all of the issues discussed in these forums and blogs and I love this Scooter I ride it every chance I get now have over 6600 miles just around town. Best of Luck.
:hide

Back