• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'07 R1200RT - add redundant ground to headlights?

steve1200rt

I'm trying to extend headlight bulb (H7) life. I've heard that some problems are caused by flaky ground connections and that a good ground connection might preclude those types of failures.
If that's the case, I could "easily" add a redundant ground wire between the brown ground wire(s) in the headlight nacelle and frame ground.
Would such an action upset the CAN controllers? Would this redundant path to frame ground cause other problems? Might it extend bulb life?

steve
'07 R1200RT

Adding a second ground wire ought not have any affect on the control circuits providing power to the light. Unless you are getting flickering lights though, I doubt it will extend the life of the bulb(s) much.

I'm trying to extend headlight bulb (H7) life. I've heard that some problems are caused by flaky ground connections and that a good ground connection might preclude those types of failures.
If that's the case, I could "easily" add a redundant ground wire between the brown ground wire(s) in the headlight nacelle and frame ground.
Would such an action upset the CAN controllers? Would this redundant path to frame ground cause other problems? Might it extend bulb life?

steve
'07 R1200RT

Steve:

Can't hurt anything. Try it!!!

I've heard of premature light bulb failures on GS, but this is the first on an RT. I have 70K on my '05 and I think I've replaced one.

Get the good German bulbs. They fit better and last longer. You can get them at VW parts counters and other places mail order for less than the dealer charges. Don't settle for 1157's unless you enjoy changing bulbs.

:german

Get the good German bulbs. They fit better and last longer. You can get them at VW parts counters and other places mail order for less than the dealer charges. Don't settle for 1157's unless you enjoy changing bulbs.

:german

Isn't 1157 a taillight bulb?

Isn't 1157 a taillight bulb?

Doh! Sorry, I'm on another thread about bulbs. Got mixed up. :banghead

There is a difference between little bulbs. I think someone said the front bulbs are H7s??? I have a friend who was going through them so often on his GS that he got mad and sold his bike. They never could figure out what the problem was. He always bought the cheapest bulbs he could find. I think there may have been some connection there. (no pun intended...well, maybe!)

This friend bought a V-Strom and still can't shut up about what a great value it is. He's had it about 5 years now. I rode it once. It's kinda cool. Needs aftermarket shocks but this guy is too cheap so he just rides slow all the time. That little 650 twin is a rocket when the revs are up, though.

You guys who can't put up with BMW eccentricities would love these V-Stroms...very solid machines.

Back