• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75S '91 Nail in tire

plehman

I think I know the answer, but can't say I like it... but do you think this tire is toast? Yes, that is a nail through the tread. Argh.
Would you think me foolish to plug it and ride? Seems to be holding air but that's just sitting through a Boston winter.

1991 K75S rear tire, one year old, Bridgestone. Maybe 3000 miles on it (I have two bikes)
thanks.

Attachments

• nail in tire.JPG
    nail in tire.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 160
Plug the Brick back tire.

I think I know the answer, but can't say I like it... but do you think this tire is toast? Yes, that is a nail through the tread. Argh.
Would you think me foolish to plug it and ride? Seems to be holding air but that's just sitting through a Boston winter.

1991 K75S rear tire, one year old, Bridgestone. Maybe 3000 miles on it (I have two bikes)
thanks.

It doesn't look threatning to me. If you don't plug it, and leave the nail in, it will eventually develop into a small leak. I would deflate and do a simple rubber/rubber cement plug with a plugging needle trim off excess rubber, reinflate when you are done, it should be fine. It is square on the threads so it is an easy fix.
UJ

I would not plug that tire.

The second hole is in the sidewall, and although many of us will patch holes directly in the tread, sidewall patching is riskier because the sidewalls flex much more than the tread as the wheel turns. Is the hole in a place where flexion would be a problem?

I don't know. Over my years of riding (now almost forty), I've had pretty good luck by assessing repairs by applying a very high bar: if a tire issue might be a problem, then I'll replace the tire. There's precious little rubber on the ground between you and the pavement: when a tire's getting thin, or a repair is edgy, I've always been happier just changing it.

Once the back tire picked up a really big nail (16p) though the sidewall, just 10 miles after the tire had been installed. I grumbled, and moaned, and replaced the tire. Didn't think about the safety/repair issue ever again, and was content.

YMMV.

Repairing the hole in the sidewall would make me nervous.
You might be lucky and the nail is only through the rubber and not the cords??? Only way to find out is pull the nail and see if it leaks.

Only way to find out is pull the nail and see if it leaks.

And what happens if, perchance, there's enough rubber to hold air while you fool around in the driveway, but it's thin and the hole opens up up as the sidewall flexes when you're going down the road?

Not for me, thanks.

I've successfully plugged many tires, from car, truck, to motorcycle. But I'd walk away from that one.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm getting a new tire.

Otherwise, every time I go around a nice sweeper I'll be thinking about that plug.

ride safe.

Tire plugging and crush washers.

I would not mess with that one, over the next 40 years if you reuse crush washers twice you can pay for that tire. I also have two bikes and have used plugged tires to get home or locally around home for a short time, but my time on a trip is worth a good tire. I even go as far to have a spare 3 spoke wheel that fits either of my bikes with a new rear tire waiting in the pole barn.:dance

I would pull the tire and replace it. Then check the inside of the tire, if no damage on the inside keep it for an emergency back up.

Just to get some one on the road to get to a dealer or home. Explaine before installing it for some one.

after looking more closely at the photo, I didn't see the point coming out near the side wall. Now I can see why the trepidation.
UJ

Just thought I would add my experience. I was riding on a Dunlop Elite 2 that had been plugged a year earlier. Worked great for me and I just didn't think about it anymore. Now as I was going around 80 mph for a nice stretch on I-75 and as I approached my exit I slowdowned to get off. When I got to around 10 mph the tire came off of the rim. I was very lucky that the centrifugal force kept the tire running. Had that not happened I probably would not be writing this now. I was also lucky that there was a m/c dealer at that exit to get me fixed up with a new tire.

Here's one that I rode on for about an hour, wondering why left curves felt funny... and yeah, it "was" a New tire...

Attachments

• KLT Rear Nail.jpg
    KLT Rear Nail.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 40
Back