• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

HELP HELP Uni-go Problem, unexpected disaster , need help

mrtnfischer

Der Kaptain
Hi, everyone, I just traded the Bunkhouse popup for a Uni-go one wheel, I got it from a person in Indian . In Indiana it does not need to have a certificate of origin or a title for that state (IN). so he had no problem.

Now I have it in Pennsylvania, they require a cretificate of origin or an title. Basicly, I am screwed, the previous owner offered to take it back, but NO, I think this is a great thing for my R1200RT and I want to Keep it..SO

1. Does any one have a certificate of title, or a certificate of Origin for a trailer or a Unigo they wish to Sell me. I dont think I need to get a real one, but I do need to put in the numbers (VIN) in a place

2. I called and emailed the Unigo guy, he said they will not help me

3. Probably could be stolen, so let me know if any body is missing one , (they need to give me the vin number or sell me a title) the color is a mettalic champagne type color, I will gladley return it and get my money from the other seller.

4. Any other Ideas would be helpful.

Like I said, it was from Indiana, the man cannot find who or where it came from.. and Indiana made him trade the plate in from the Unigo to the Bunk House so now he has nothing to indicate that itt came from Indiana.
call me if needed 570 815 6294

if he doesn't need the title to the bunkhouse, why don't you just ask him to send it back?
Go down & re-tag it, and slap the plate on the unigo?

UNI-go and no title

Thanks Ken F, I have already considered that as I still have the BUNKHOSE Plate, good thinking, I will contact him and see how it goes, I wonder if the states check the vin numbers against each other when getting something new like this. You, of course, are suggesting a slight of hand, illegal move on the unigo, what happens to the next in line, than things will probably get worse. I also think there are states that will register this as a Home Built or ? and than I can get a title like from Alabama and than transfer it to me.

Any thoughts are appreciated, yours was a start KenF

Thanks Ken F, I have already considered that as I still have the BUNKHOSE Plate, good thinking, I will contact him and see how it goes, I wonder if the states check the vin numbers against each other when getting something new like this. You, of course, are suggesting a slight of hand, illegal move on the unigo, what happens to the next in line, than things will probably get worse. I also think there are states that will register this as a Home Built or ? and than I can get a title like from Alabama and than transfer it to me.

Any thoughts are appreciated, yours was a start KenF

Alabama does not issue a title for single axle trailers although a tag is required. The vin information is on the tag receipt but only a bill of sale is required to obtain a tag.

I don't know how things are in PA, but here in MO if you have a trailer plate on a trailer, I've never had them check.
Yes, it is probably a little underhanded, but I think I'd try it. At least it would give you some time to get things sorted.
After all, how many people are going to know it's a unigo and not a bunkhouse?

Applying for a homebuilt title can be a little sticky here as they want receipts for metal, axle, and anything else you bought
to build the trailer......

Check with whoever does the verification in PA of the requirements. Here it is the Hwy Patrol.
Ken

UNI-go and no title friday 3 pm est

Many thanks, I will be trying all attempts, Always easier in the end to do it right, because of the next buyer.

from Home made idea, to just slapping the plate on from the Bunk house on it, I have been riding and trailering for 45 years, no one has ever asked about a trailer registration, I have been stopped many times, only for excessive zeal.. I think I have been awarded certificates in about 10 states for "Excessive zeal"

Wonder if you could declare it Salvage...may require a statement from former owner that the Unigo was in need of major repairs... or whatever Pennsylvania Salvage title requires.

Then apply for a Salvage Title...once issued you could then get a tag..... should you sell the Unigo...declare it has salvage title which should not be a major issue for a new buyer.

Like Jim stated... I owned one in Alabama...didn't require a tag for a single tire trailer...however I managed to buy a basic Utility trailer tag...never installed it...but carried it in trailer should I be ask for one in another state... I pullled that trailer coast to coast, in several traffic checks and never was asked about the tag.

Hope this helps.

In a related issue...should the tongue universal joint be stiff and not allow free movement of the tongue of trailer.... the first ones from New Zealand had a Brass insert type joint...the replacement was about 100$ plus shipping from NZ....

I found the NAPA part # is 210-0153 (Old NAPA # 369), to be a perfect match. About $12.00. Needle bearing type, this should outlast the trailer,

There are several threads on the BMWLT.com site... just google Unigo trailer Bmwlt ...several helpful threads...about wheel bearing and other issues.

Hope this helps!

reply on Salvage for Unigo...Very interesting reply great..salvage

Yes indeed, I head for the DMV info today. Every one has been most helpful.

In a related issue...should the tongue universal joint be stiff and not allow free movement of the tongue of trailer.... the first ones from New Zealand had a Brass insert type joint...the replacement was about 100$ plus shipping from NZ....

I found the NAPA part # is 210-0153 (Old NAPA # 369), to be a perfect match. About $12.00. Needle bearing type, this should outlast the trailer,

There are several threads on the BMWLT.com site... just google Unigo trailer Bmwlt ...several helpful threads...about wheel bearing and other issues.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

Needle bearings are NO GOOD in this application.
The Uni-Go ujoints were fitted with brass originally and later with nylon bushings that had an interference fit. The joint when assembled properly should be stiff to move and have NO play for correct tracking.
I know this because I own one and have had discussions with the original designer in NZ.
The other point to make is although the ujoint has the threads for a grease fitting DO NOT install one and try to grease.
The nylon is good for life and needs no lube.
As far as wheel bearings go they are dirt cheap at any bearing house and I pack 2 spares under the carpet. In 22,000 miles I have not had to replace the original bearings but there are there in case I do.

Needle bearings are NO GOOD in this application.
The Uni-Go ujoints were fitted with brass originally and later with nylon bushings that had an interference fit. The joint when assembled properly should be stiff to move and have NO play for correct tracking.
I know this because I own one and have had discussions with the original designer in NZ.
The other point to make is although the ujoint has the threads for a grease fitting DO NOT install one and try to grease.
The nylon is good for life and needs no lube.
As far as wheel bearings go they are dirt cheap at any bearing house and I pack 2 spares under the carpet. In 22,000 miles I have not had to replace the original bearings but there are there in case I do.

Interesting..... All I can say that my Unigo tongue universal joint was frozen (stuff, no movement), With the free movement NAPA universal joint installed, I had no issues with tracking and Unigo was very stable pulling at all speeds, empty or full. After 30,000 mileage I sold the unit with my BMW LT.... at last count the new owner has added an additional 45,000 miles without issue or replacement of the universal joint. At the time, the dealer for parts was located in California and got them out of NZ...with parts in 2007 being 100$ plus shipping... I found this replacement and it worked for me. At the same time I was a member of a forum where there where about 25 or so Unigo owners...most had the same issue with frozen joint. Many changed to the NAPA.... One guy did have an issue, with wag or tracking...however he learned it was with a frame issue and corrected it.

While I am not an engineer or even a good mechanic I fall in the "shade tree mechanic" class... I just felt like the purpose of any universal joint was to give free movement in all directions....whether in a truck, car or farm equipment (own several tractors/equipment with them) using the farm boy theory.... trial and error...and lived in small town where I could walk in NAPA store and roam the parts until I found something that worked..... it worked for me and guess that all that matters to me.

Interesting..... All I can say that my Unigo tongue universal joint was frozen (stuff, no movement), With the free movement NAPA universal joint installed, I had no issues with tracking and Unigo was very stable pulling at all speeds, empty or full. After 30,000 mileage I sold the unit with my BMW LT.... at last count the new owner has added an additional 45,000 miles without issue or replacement of the universal joint. At the time, the dealer for parts was located in California and got them out of NZ...with parts in 2007 being 100$ plus shipping... I found this replacement and it worked for me. At the same time I was a member of a forum where there where about 25 or so Unigo owners...most had the same issue with frozen joint. Many changed to the NAPA.... One guy did have an issue, with wag or tracking...however he learned it was with a frame issue and corrected it.

While I am not an engineer or even a good mechanic I fall in the "shade tree mechanic" class... I just felt like the purpose of any universal joint was to give free movement in all directions....whether in a truck, car or farm equipment (own several tractors/equipment with them) using the farm boy theory.... trial and error...and lived in small town where I could walk in NAPA store and roam the parts until I found something that worked..... it worked for me and guess that all that matters to me.

There was a reason why Chris made the decision to bush the joints. A lot of extra work if that would not be a requirement.
There should be some resistance in the joint, these are Chris van Eeckelin's words.
I even went as far as designing a damper system to improve the tracking behind my GS. It is all critical when splitting hairs.

Uni-go Maine regestration

Unbelievable, you don't even have to be a resident. It just goes to show you how dumb all of this registration stuff goes.

OK, I am working this all out, I am sure I will be ready for the Spring.
To all of you, thanks for the help.

My advice would be to search for title company that will generate a title for you in Nevada. There are several. I have bought collector bikes at the Midwest Auctions in Las Vegas and done this. They generate a title search and title for you that you simply turn in to your state for its title. Very reasonable. Sorry I do not remember the names of the title and license services. Perhaps Midwest Auctions in St. Paul MN would have thier contact information.

Jack

Title available in Nevada and can also regester in Maine

OK, looks like they want about 200 USD to do research and do the paper work, I have contacted them after looking on the web.

I have also sent info to Maine, who can also register the Uni-go.

So looks like the problem is being solved.

Many thanks for your concern... Happy riding

In washington with a bill a bill of sale you can apply for a lost title, you get a temp registration and a title three years later.
lance

Some states don't require you to be a resident to either title or register a vehicle or get a driver's license. ( NJ is one of them) Crazy, I agree. You could just ask if Indiana allows this, and just register it in your name in Indiana.

Or, like another poster suggested just tell them you made the trailer and they'll assign you a VIN.

Back