• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clutch Replacement

I just had the gearbox from my '88 R 100 refreshed. Five new bearings, seals and circlip upgrade. It has 81,000 miles so while the transmission is out, it is a good time to replace the clutch.
The friction plate measures 5mm.
That said, when replacing the clutch, besides the friction plate and pressure plate, must the carrier plates also be replaced? If so, help me understand why.

Because single plate clutches wear in a very flat conical pattern. The parts that contact the friction plate should always be replaced as a set IF you expect to full service life out of the clutch assembly. I found this out the hard way.

Over time, the pressure plate and clutch carrier plate (two halves that contact the friction plate) wear in to develop a flat conical wear pattern that you can see by laying a metal straight edge across the contact face of the pressure plate. At the outer edge of the pressure plate the straight edge will of course lay in direct contact on the perimeter. The wear pattern will be evident as a slightly increasing gap below the straight edge as you near the center point of the pressure plate circle. Same for the clutch carrier.

If you just replace the friction plate, it will really only contact the metal plates at the outer radius. Then as the friction plate wears it actually decreases the contact area, which leads to eventual clutch slippage, which accelerates the wear pattern, which accelerates the slippage, which,....you get the idea.

I learned this the hard way trying to be a cheap-ass and only replace the friction plate on my 94 R1100RS. Only got 20,000 miles on that clutch job before the clutch strted slipping again.

Back