• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Swapping out lamps for LED's in guage cluster ?

snookers

DBLUPPR
A while ago, I read with interest a thread pertaining to swapping out the existing incandescent lamps in the gauges and indicator panel on a R1100RT. I even kept the web sight which was provided within that thread directing me to the seller of the LED's.
http://superlumination.com/74.htm
Problem is......the web sight sells a multitude of various led's and I am at a loss to what I should be aquiring. I cannot find the thread of yesteryear to direct me in the proper direction either. the reason I wish to persue the LED's is that many of the existing lamps are burnt out......and the work involved in getting to the guage cluster is ridiculous, so I would like to do this properly.....and only once....preferably.
Is there anyone out there who has done this swap or can remember this subject and direct me to the thread I am talking about?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The lamps that are stock have a pretty good lifetime and are built for the rough service environment of motorcycles.

If you do go with LEDs you must use a 3W bulb that draws a quarter amp (0.25 A) in the Batt/Alt position as it is used by design to start the Alternator.

If you do go with LEDs you must use a 3W bulb that draws a quarter amp (0.25 A) in the Batt/Alt position as it is used by design to start the Alternator.

Forgive me if this dosn't make sense to me..........if there is a current draw on the battery, as there would be with the headlight on.....and the headlamp is always on when my bike is running, then the alternator would be charging the battery. I merely wish to have the led's installed since changing the bulbs in the guage cluster on the RT is a major PIA

The 3W incandescent bulb in your RT is part of the "field" circuit for your alternator. It is what "excites" the circuit that creates the initial magenetic field that gets your alternator charging. This is especially important at idle speeds. Changing this particular bulb out to an LED might not be a good idea.

I know for a fact that is will not work on an old airhead generator light because I tried and failed. That circuit is not quite the same as the Oilhead but the same electrical principles apply more or less.

That said, I have changed out my speedo and tach bulbs for white LEDs and the difference is phenomenal. The eBay LEDs I used came from Hong Kong dirt cheap compared to the prices I see being charged on some of the lighting sites this side of the ocean. Long delivery times but the postage is free.

Visibility of my two gauges at night is really remarkable now and I highly recommend it. Yes, it's a bit of a pain in the arse to get there but once you are done the results are worthwhile.

Happy Wanderer.................the 3watt lamps you are refering to...........which ones are they? are they the gauge lamps or are they the ones in the warning lamp/ turn indicator display block?

The bulb these folks are talking about is the one behind your battery symbol. The bike puts 12 volts to one side of the bulb The other side is wired directly to the field winding in the alternator. The other end of the field is grounded.

Key on engine off (KOEO) the bulb has 12 volts on one side and a ground on the other so it lights up.

Start engine, the 3 watts at 12 volts from the bulb excite the field on the alternator which becomes an electromagnet and makes the alternator start charging. Now the alternator is charging and the voltage regulator takes over. The bulb has 12 volts on both sides, so it goes out. (no ground).

An LED bulb will not pass current (3 watts) to the field so the alternator would not charge.

The other reason is an LED bulb draws one tenth the power a regular filament bulb draws, so it would not work for this application any how.

The rest of your idea is great!

David

DROOT153718............Thankyou for the added information...............I appreciate it. .....I'll be sure to leave that bulb alone.......but......if that 3 watt bulb burned out......would that not interupt the charging circuit as far as the alternator goes......if it did......it would definitley be good info to have in case you had trouble with your battery getting a charge.

DROOT153718............Thankyou for the added information...............I appreciate it. .....I'll be sure to leave that bulb alone.......but......if that 3 watt bulb burned out......would that not interupt the charging circuit as far as the alternator goes......if it did......it would definitley be good info to have in case you had trouble with your battery getting a charge.

You are correct If that bulb blows your alternator may not charge. You could borrow a different bulb, if in a pinch.

The symptom of a blown bulb would be no Battery + voltage to the slip rings at the alternator. If you have 2 wires going to the alternator it would be the small one. Key on engine off should be 12 volts. Its the same on an airhead.

Of course the little battery will not light up when you turn the key on if the bulb is blown.

I have a spare bulb for every size light on my bike with me except instrument. At 100,000 two bulbs were blown in the dash. I replaced them all. My bike came with lifetime LED brake and tail light bulbs. Both quit working and have been replaced with regular bulbs. No problems since.

David

Due to the duty cycle of these lamps (indicator panel) I opted to leave stock, especially the charging lamp for reasons covered above.
I have dismantled wrecks and found the lamps still functional,and yet to have one burn out at 237,000km on my own machine.
That being said, my instrument lamps are LED and provide much better illumination. All other lamps on my machine are LED as well excepting low beam (HID), Hi beam (H9) and driving (H7)
I also run Krista's (LED)
My UniGo trailer is all custom LED as well.

Happy Wanderer.................the 3watt lamps you are refering to...........which ones are they? are they the gauge lamps or are they the ones in the warning lamp/ turn indicator display block?

From my post above,

The lamps that are stock have a pretty good lifetime and are built for the rough service environment of motorcycles.

Bulbs

If you do, do not replace the high beam bulb or the low fuel light, you will be blinded at night. I bought a used 02 R1150R that a BMW mechanic had owned, and done this conversion. My $ .02

Which LED bulbs for the Instruments

I read the OP question again and now I'm not sure if he was asking about the warning lamps or the instruments. So, could someone please either point to the old thread or answer, which LEDs are the correct replacement for the dash instruments? The tachometer and the speedometer. I believe there are two bulbs in each one (62 14 2 306 127 BULB - 12V 1.7W QTY 4).

Specifically the alternator bulb. But yes, the bulbs in the display block which I think are all the same but not positive. Would have to check the fiche.

I've only switched out my tach and speedo bulbs for LEDs. Love em... Huge difference at night.

Thanks to all for the replies.....:bow....I love it when I can learn from asking questions. What I intend to do is to swap out the incandescent bulbs in the speedo and tach with LED's.......I am also swapping out the turn signal lamps with LED's.....green ones...now if they are too bright, this for me at least, will be a good thing as perhaps I won't be inclined to leave my signals on after making a turn. The other warning lamps will remain as they are since they will most likely never burn out as they aren't illuminated for very long anyways. The 3 watt battery/alternator lamp will also remain, and I will definitly aquire a spare.

Thanks to all for the replies.....:bow....I love it when I can learn from asking questions. What I intend to do is to swap out the incandescent bulbs in the speedo and tach with LED's.......I am also swapping out the turn signal lamps with LED's.....green ones...now if they are too bright, this for me at least, will be a good thing as perhaps I won't be inclined to leave my signals on after making a turn. The other warning lamps will remain as they are since they will most likely never burn out as they aren't illuminated for very long anyways. The 3 watt battery/alternator lamp will also remain, and I will definitly aquire a spare.

Please post back regarding the green LEDs I am most curious if they will be brighter.
They will get your attention better as they are instant on and off.

Well the deed is done...........................
I swapped out the incandescent bulbs in the Speedo and Tach with red led's, and I must say that the change is quite significant. Easy on the eyes as well. The incandescent bulbs in the turn signal indicators were also swapped out with green LED's.......they are really bright.....like shimmering emeralds. A seperate red LED was installed over the three switch's on the dash panel .....so no more fumbling at night as to what is what. The light streaming towards the left side of the speedo is from that LED. A small cover to direct the light to the switch's only will be installed soon.
This was a good mod.

g3.jpg

The LED's were a tad pricey, but with that said, I got what I wanted and am pleased with the results.
http://autolumination.com/74.htm
The bulb/Led's used are the #24 "Superstar" High-Flux low profile Leds With Lens Covers located about a third way down their web page

Back