• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Entering the last "quarter" of my riding career?

I am in better shape than probably 90 percent of the people I graduated from high school. At 64 I am having a ball riding, teaching MSF and Riders Edge classes, Scuba classes and several other things. Until I go into the filing cabinet I intend to grab life and shake all of it I can handle. Sometime my group speculates about going back to the 20's. I would not be so inclined because that period of life was really hard with all the games we had to play. I am perfectly happy with my lifestyle :thumb

I am in better shape than probably 90 percent of the people I graduated from high school. At 64 I am having a ball riding, teaching MSF and Riders Edge classes, Scuba classes and several other things. Until I go into the filing cabinet I intend to grab life and shake all of it I can handle. Sometime my group speculates about going back to the 20's. I would not be so inclined because that period of life was really hard with all the games we had to play. I am perfectly happy with my lifestyle :thumb

Sometime my group speculates about going back to the 20's. I would not be so inclined because that period of life was really hard with all the games we had to play. I am perfectly happy with my lifestyle :thumb[/QUOTE]

There's a mouthful of truth !

Yea, old guys are washed up and slow...........NOT

This is from my trip to the Smokey's this spring

I was playing with the Go-Pro on occasion and luckily got some great footage to go with a great story.

End of the day we are headed back to the campground, but stopped for gas before heading up, a few kids on sport bikes were milling about, showing off their skill on the back wheel as they departed. But one kind of milled about, a 30ish kid on a custom painted sportbike, tail section adorned with Rossi's #46.

As you will see, he apparently thought he would show a bunch of old guys (them not me) on BMW's how the locals run the twisty roads.

Sorry for the laughter on the sound track, I couldn't help it :D

My 74 year old friend, Gary, from Florida is just ahead, It was a spirited run, although he just sits square on the bike an makes it look like a leisurely afternoon ride.

Crank up the quality for more clarity. I will say too, had the kid been sloppy or looked like he was riding over his head, we would have pulled over, as I have before when riders I caught up to, felt they needed to show me skills that they didn't have!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q7--SGZiooc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fro my perspective as a long time rider at age 69 I feel the crux of this "last quarter riding thing" is to know when to hang it up! As anyone that's got some grey knows, old age is all about your health wherein activity level is concerned! When I played ball there were definite signs that my time was over to go on the field.
As a MC rider I hope I will know "that time" again as the results can be very unkind to oneself & others that share the road & our lives. The recent passing of a very notable rider from amongst our ranks ( people I'm striving for clarity here but hopefully without any sense of poor word choice) gave me pause to wonder if it will be readily apparent to the rest of us, when "our time" has come?
On my bicycle my physical limits sort of slap me in the face ( I rode my bicycle ~ 100 miles last week & my butts sore!:)) but as the MC does most of the work, one questions the timing of making that last ride in "one piece"?
In my state MC riders are not tested for reflexes or vision (nor much else in the first place!) License renewal is a pay & get your picture made event. These "active senior years" hold many questions for all of us. This is a great topic for an "aging expert" to tackle in ON? :violin

Fro my perspective as a long time rider at age 69 I feel the crux of this "last quarter riding thing" is to know when to hang it up! As anyone that's got some grey knows, old age is all about your health wherein activity level is concerned! ... These "active senior years" hold many questions for all of us. This is a great topic for an "aging expert" to tackle in ON? :violin

Well said! That is what I am getting from this discussion as well, knowing when it is time to hang 'em up in whatever activity one is doing is what is important. For me personally, it will be my eyes. I get eye exams as frequently as possible (at least annually) and I am concerned about my peripheral vision so I watch it especially closely.

Thx to everyone who has posted useful thoughts in this thread.

riding hard

At 66 tomorrow, I will celebrate 50 years of riding. I've had honda's, triumph, yamaha, and finally got into BMW's. My first ride was on my uncle's R27. What a bike! I now have a K1200RS and a K1200LT. Probably ride the LT more now because I can't leave home without my little honey of 38 years. She loves riding as much as i do. As it was said before, I enjoy riding more now than I did when I was younger or at least remember each trip more as each is special. Staying in shape is the ticket to riding longevity. Exercise is most important in life or just staying active. Don't put a time limit on your riding career. Your body will tell you when riding should be put behind you. I live in a section of the country where there seem to be less crazies on the road.(The great Upper Peninsula of Michigan. One can ride to the same spots but each trip out is a new adventure with different thing to see. The past is great but look to the future. It's not that your glass is half empty BUT it is half Full. enjoy each and every ride. life over 60 is still jammed-packed with great times.:clap

riding hard

At 66 tomorrow, I will celebrate 50 years of riding. I've had honda's, triumph, yamaha, and finally got into BMW's. My first ride was on my uncle's R27. What a bike! I now have a K1200RS and a K1200LT. Probably ride the LT more now because I can't leave home without my little honey of 38 years. She loves riding as much as i do. As it was said before, I enjoy riding more now than I did when I was younger or at least remember each trip more as each is special. Staying in shape is the ticket to riding longevity. Exercise is most important in life or just staying active. Don't put a time limit on your riding career. Your body will tell you when riding should be put behind you. I live in a section of the country where there seems to be less crazies on the road.(The great Upper Peninsula of Michigan). One can ride to the same spots but each trip out is a new adventure with different things to see. The past is great but look to the future. It's not that your glass is half empty BUT it is half Full. Enjoy each and every ride. Life over 60 is still jammed-packed with great times.:clap

At 66 tomorrow, I will celebrate 50 years of riding. I've had honda's, triumph, yamaha, and finally got into BMW's. My first ride was on my uncle's R27. What a bike! I now have a K1200RS and a K1200LT. Probably ride the LT more now because I can't leave home without my little honey of 38 years. She loves riding as much as i do. As it was said before, I enjoy riding more now than I did when I was younger or at least remember each trip more as each is special. Staying in shape is the ticket to riding longevity. Exercise is most important in life or just staying active. Don't put a time limit on your riding career. Your body will tell you when riding should be put behind you. I live in a section of the country where there seems to be less crazies on the road.(The great Upper Peninsula of Michigan). One can ride to the same spots but each trip out is a new adventure with different things to see. The past is great but look to the future. It's not that your glass is half empty BUT it is half Full. Enjoy each and every ride. Life over 60 is still jammed-packed with great times.:clap

Some short summers & long winters up there No?

I do like Michigan though, used to live in the LP [Honor] and still travel up that way about every other year. Sometimes travel up, and cross the UP into Wis, then work my way back to Ohio !

Well said! That is what I am getting from this discussion as well, knowing when it is time to hang 'em up in whatever activity one is doing is what is important. For me personally, it will be my eyes. I get eye exams as frequently as possible (at least annually) and I am concerned about my peripheral vision so I watch it especially closely.

Thx to everyone who has posted useful thoughts in this thread.
I recall from military flight physicals that peripheal vison was measured & here we are talking about millions of motorists, some of which had poor vision to begin with! Let alone poor health or physical conditioning-remember phys ed & some kids couldn't tie their own shoes, so to speak-well now you share the road with them AND! they have the cell in their hands! Beware!
I get my eyes checked fairly often as aging but many never do.:scratch
Maybe not on a MC but people in the north are actually very active compared to lower down states. E.g., ask my son in Newnan,GA how activity levels there compare to AZ.

I recall from military flight physicals that peripheal vison was measured & here we are talking about millions of motorists, some of which had poor vision to begin with! Let alone poor health or physical conditioning-remember phys ed & some kids couldn't tie their own shoes, so to speak-well now you share the road with them AND! they have the cell in their hands! Beware!
I get my eyes checked fairly often as aging but many never do.:scratch
Maybe not on a MC but people in the north are actually very active compared to lower down states. E.g., ask my son in Newnan,GA how activity levels there compare to AZ.

"people in the north are actually very active compared to lower down states"

Two reasons...they're really no more active, it's just that y'all are only outside & visible 3 months of the year. :whistle And when ya are ya run around like crazy trying to get things done & throw in some fun...before that next darn blizzard hits! :eek

last quarter of riding

We up here in "da nort" as they say only tell everyone we get lots of blizzards so they stay south of the Bridge but really our winters are great. Great ice fishing, skiing, snowshoeing, etc. are excellent winter activities. some of our destinations up here should be put on every riders bucket list.
We have very little traffic so most trips are stress free. I'm really lucky to live in a place where beautiful scenery is abundant and sunsets over the Great Lakes are breathtaking. My last quarter of riding is in a place where each trip is a new experience in scenic beauty.
Last Quarter Destinations include:
Soo Locks - Sault Ste. Marie
Fayette State Park - Garden, Michigan
Bonn Falls -
Black River Harbor with abundant Water Falls on the road to it.
Copper Peak Ski Flying Jump Adventure
Iron Mine in Iron Mountain, and Hancock
The Keweenaw Peninsula - Fort Wilkins, Copper Harbor, Eagle Harbor

Just to name a few of the places. Crossing the Mighty Mackinaw Bridge is an adventure in itself. Good riding in these "Golden Years". The rides get better with each passing year.

"people in the north are actually very active compared to lower down states"

Two reasons...they're really no more active, it's just that y'all are only outside & visible 3 months of the year. :whistle And when ya are ya run around like crazy trying to get things done & throw in some fun...before that next darn blizzard hits! :eek

My reference was to winter sports as opposed to staying inside.
It is laughable the way people here in KY close schools down when there is a snowflake spotted in some remote corner of that county. "snow days" are comical reaction here to those that live where they "have more snow plows" as some here in KY say.When the money flows based on avg daily attendance it causes absenteeism, it's that simple. Attitudes are such that all the kids will die in a "slick road crash" if you hold school.
Much outside work has a proper time(seasonal) to get er done based on realities not conjecture.
In KS I do recall one time school was out because the gas line failed. I could use some cooler riding weather...:thumb
P.S. I have a new "comfy saddle" on the way for my bicycle & my "last qtr" of bike pedaling!:dance

We up here in "da nort" as they say only tell everyone we get lots of blizzards so they stay south of the Bridge but really our winters are great. Great ice fishing, skiing, snowshoeing, etc. are excellent winter activities. some of our destinations up here should be put on every riders bucket list.
We have very little traffic so most trips are stress free. I'm really lucky to live in a place where beautiful scenery is abundant and sunsets over the Great Lakes are breathtaking. My last quarter of riding is in a place where each trip is a new experience in scenic beauty.
Bonn Falls -

Just to name a few of the places. Crossing the Mighty Mackinaw Bridge is an adventure in itself. Good riding in these "Golden Years". The rides get better with each passing year.

Bandman, Great list. I've not been in that somewhat hidden part of the country. I will remedy that next summer. Thanks for the list.

My reference was to winter sports as opposed to staying inside.
It is laughable the way people here in KY close schools down when there is a snowflake spotted in some remote corner of that county. "snow days" are comical reaction here to those that live where they "have more snow plows" as some here in KY say.When the money flows based on avg daily attendance it causes absenteeism, it's that simple. Attitudes are such that all the kids will die in a "slick road crash" if you hold school.
Much outside work has a proper time(seasonal) to get er done based on realities not conjecture.
In KS I do recall one time school was out because the gas line failed. I could use some cooler riding weather...:thumb
P.S. I have a new "comfy saddle" on the way for my bicycle & my "last qtr" of bike pedaling!:dance

I n know, I was just teasin' some of our Northern friends. ;) You're right about the ridiculousness of school closings...same here in S/Ohio.:scratch

What sort of "comfy" saddle are you getting ? I need to get out more on mine,...and more comfy might just entice me ?:dunno

Bonn Falls -

While not living there, I have traveled there quite a bit. Been to most of the places you mention. I believe the only two I've missed are Copper Peak Ski Jump, and Fayette Park.

I have given serious thought to moving back up ? I just doubt the winters & my arthritis would mix well... I have been looking in the Traverse City area , thinking it might be [a-tad] warmer....:dunno. If at all affordable ? I'd like to be near / on the water. Yeah I know high priced neighborhood:brow

I n know, I was just teasin' some of our Northern friends. ;) You're right about the ridiculousness of school closings...same here in S/Ohio.:scratch

What sort of "comfy" saddle are you getting ? I need to get out more on mine,...and more comfy might just entice me ?:dunno
I'll report back on the saddle once they finally send me the correct invoice & I get to try out my large tuss on it!:laugh Some look comfy & are not-I also read many reviews before I clicked buy it.
An old friend is the outdoor sports writer for the Duluth paper(he also gets in other papers that are still alive-Sam Cook) & it's true about outdoor activity levels in the northern winter, just ask him.

This thread scares me. I don't want to get old and depressed. I don't want to get dementia or altimizers. I definitely don't want to even think about stopping riding. I am only 44 right now. I exercise 3-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes. I eat spinach every other day. Despite this, my hair is thinning out. My eye brows are thinning. How can I stop this aging curse ? I want to be like Doug :bow .​

The only method I know of to stop aging results in the ceasation of everything else as well.

Be careful what you wish for............Rod.

Last quarter of riding

Traverse City is about on the same parallel as we are here in Escanaba. We ride here From April or maybe even March to the first part of November.
Last fall my wife and I rode to Lake Gogebic for a weekend. This was the first part of October. We had a great ride over and took in many sites around the area. We woke up to 5" of snow on the ground. We water until about noon and the temps to hit 40, then we came home. The heated seats are really nice on the LT. Anytime you get around the lake Gogebic Area, on the East Shore Road lies a beautiful resort called the Root Cellar. It is a long series of motel rooms which are fantastic. Some even have their own spas in the room. They also have cottages for families . all are right on the lake. Rooms are about $42.00 a night for the standard rooms and $59.00 $79.00 for the deluxe rooms. They also have a restaurant. Great people and great food. I'm not related to anyone there but just really, really happy with the rooms and our treatment. This place is a well kept secret. If you need any more info, you can PM me or call the folks at "The Root Cellar" Not too far from Duluth either. I believe the address is Marenisco, Michigan. Great time. Last Quarter adventures are more exciting and meaningful.

Yea, old guys are washed up and slow...........NOT

This is from my trip to the Smokey's this spring

I was playing with the Go-Pro on occasion and luckily got some great footage to go with a great story.

End of the day we are headed back to the campground, but stopped for gas before heading up, a few kids on sport bikes were milling about, showing off their skill on the back wheel as they departed. But one kind of milled about, a 30ish kid on a custom painted sportbike, tail section adorned with Rossi's #46.

As you will see, he apparently thought he would show a bunch of old guys (them not me) on BMW's how the locals run the twisty roads.

Sorry for the laughter on the sound track, I couldn't help it :D

My 74 year old friend, Gary, from Florida is just ahead, It was a spirited run, although he just sits square on the bike an makes it look like a leisurely afternoon ride.

Crank up the quality for more clarity. I will say too, had the kid been sloppy or looked like he was riding over his head, we would have pulled over, as I have before when riders I caught up to, felt they needed to show me skills that they didn't have!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q7--SGZiooc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

trying to keep up with Dee when he is "running it" is a lesson in futility. and humility.

so. Dee hit him with "64 year old man" and "with full bags". did he pull out the "blind in one eye, and can't see so good out of the other"?

Back