• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Entering the last "quarter" of my riding career?

Cost is a big factor and today's younger folks have lower paying jobs, with less benefits and more educational debt. In addition, I don't think we have a "romance" with travel any more. I just don't hear of people being excited to go anywhere, which I find to be really strange.
Not to "start something" but I fail to get your point? My 3 sons all far out earn old dad and they're still in their 30's-all are engrs, one flys for his bucks.Obviously comparing a public educators wages to a professional engr isn't going to come out with them earning low wages. All mine are well into 6 figures-try making that at the jobs I had in a school. As to low benefits, just because the old fashioned pension plans are no longer in vouge doesn't mean the 401 k's are gone for my kids. The educational debt part is spot on but all of our kids have zero of that because either we payed it or they had scholarships or the military covered it. Sure , some younger types are underemployed based on the economy but that has had zero effect on my kids as "jobs find them" based on life experiences & education-not bragging, just the reality.The head hunters give them more jobs to look at than they want, it gets down to job dities /location mostly, not availability of choices. Additionally all of our kids have a full dose of the travel bug as do my wife & I. One was a Navy guy for 7-8 yrs and did the world x3 & 2 mid east tours & still looks to travel when his young family permits. His twin travels all the time to include time @ Budapest Technical University when younger & many trips to every continent,some more then a few times. The pilot son did 4 mid east tours(I guess that's travel?) and now flys on 30/30 worldwide assignments as civilian(sort of)& has done many foreign vacations too. We travel as much as money allows and I see young people(at 69 that means below~ 40 to me) every time I travel. Some locations are packed with the "backpacker crowd" which frequently means a funky "Rasta" hairdo and other "trendy looks"-many sport "the caps" which are sort of military looking as their after an image of sorts? I've been in some real out of the way spots that were full of young people that had a luxury not available to me-I HAD to work! & I DIDN'T have somebody buying my way out of working & paying for the tics either... Yes , young people love to travel. They also have the luxury(?) of no military requirement or national service(sad IMO) and so can now enjoy the fruits of parents labor. Just got home from a trip and went to bed at 3:47 a.m. & can assure you there were bunches of younger folks out there traveling!
At 69 I take it as it comes & appreciate every chance to "act young" that comes my way with increasing but necessary cautions for an aging body as a part of my "awareness package". My recently added postscript used to hang on my office wall & is what many of us here are practicing-full enjoyment of life! Now I've gotta try that ruler thing & I'll post my results -after I get another "regular" nights sleep under my belt.:D

Not to "start something" but I fail to get your point? My 3 sons all far out earn old dad and they're still in their 30's-all are engrs, one flys for his bucks.Obviously comparing a public educators wages to a professional engr isn't going to come out with them earning low wages. All mine are well into 6 figures-try making that at the jobs I had in a school. As to low benefits, just because the old fashioned pension plans are no longer in vouge doesn't mean the 401 k's are gone for my kids. The educational debt part is spot on but all of our kids have zero of that because either we payed it or they had scholarships or the military covered it. Sure , some younger types are underemployed based on the economy but that has had zero effect on my kids as "jobs find them" based on life experiences & education-not bragging, just the reality.The head hunters give them more jobs to look at than they want, it gets down to job dities /location mostly, not availability of choices. Additionally all of our kids have a full dose of the travel bug as do my wife & I. One was a Navy guy for 7-8 yrs and did the world x3 & 2 mid east tours & still looks to travel when his young family permits. His twin travels all the time to include time @ Budapest Technical University when younger & many trips to every continent,some more then a few times. The pilot son did 4 mid east tours(I guess that's travel?) and now flys on 30/30 worldwide assignments as civilian(sort of)& has done many foreign vacations too. We travel as much as money allows and I see young people(at 69 that means below~ 40 to me) every time I travel. Some locations are packed with the "backpacker crowd" which frequently means a funky "Rasta" hairdo and other "trendy looks"-many sport "the caps" which are sort of military looking as their after an image of sorts? I've been in some real out of the way spots that were full of young people that had a luxury not available to me-I HAD to work! & I DIDN'T have somebody buying my way out of working & paying for the tics either... Yes , young people love to travel. They also have the luxury(?) of no military requirement or national service(sad IMO) and so can now enjoy the fruits of parents labor. Just got home from a trip and went to bed at 3:47 a.m. & can assure you there were bunches of younger folks out there traveling!
At 69 I take it as it comes & appreciate every chance to "act young" that comes my way with increasing but necessary cautions for an aging body as a part of my "awareness package". My recently added postscript used to hang on my office wall & is what many of us here are practicing-full enjoyment of life! Now I've gotta try that ruler thing & I'll post my results -after I get another "regular" nights sleep under my belt.:D

It seems too me that with the younger set today, it's either higher income jobs, or burger flippin' The decent paying middle income job market is slipping away. And some of what used to be "middle" isn't any longer. In terms of buying power.......jus'my two cents.

It seems too me that with the younger set today, it's either higher income jobs, or burger flippin' The decent paying middle income job market is slipping away. And some of what used to be "middle" isn't any longer. In terms of buying power.......jus'my two cents.

You have hit on something that is a common concern to any hobby or activity dependent on disposable income. Besides motorcycle instruction, I am also heavily involved in the scuba diving industry, and it is not a pretty sight in either hobby. The age demographic is just about identical: both have an increasing average age, and not a lot of young people can afford the price of admission to replace us baby-boomers. The economic situation is definitely hurting them. When it comes to paying for mortgages and eating, scuba and motorcycles tend to fall off the radar rather quickly. Most anyone involved in an industry dependent on people's disposable income are in a very uncomfortable employment situation right now, and despite what the Washington idiots keep saying, things are not getting better and will not anytime in the foreseeable future. There is also a very great possibility that things are going to get a lot worse.

I think he's just doing computer tricks & putting his head on others bodies? :brow

How's this ? :

Doug-Zip_zpse046af19.jpg

My head and body will be jumping off MV FLING in the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary March 8 in nice cold water around 90 ft deep to check out the Manta's and Hammerhead sharks! Come on down and see the real thing! :D

Just playing around! Keep up the diving & climbing! Enjoy!:D

As far as the economy, just come to my eastern KY & look around and then tell me if it looks as grim as it does in LALA land -where many of you live, yet here the store parking lots are full and the checkout lines longish at times.When I travel to other parts of the USA now or in the past I am amazed at the evident wealth! I'm not a native here but been here many years so it is my "normal" these days. I know that many other places its tough these days but believe me it's not as tough as it gets in Appalachia! I used to tell people in my native KS that they didn't know what tough was like until the had seen what a place such as my county(has been on a "10 poorest in USA list"! before) has for an economy. Talk about how does someone work for minimum wage somewhere else and then realize that those burger jobs are a 50+ mile round trip for people where I live. Same for the lower end of the industrial food chain jobs. Sure we have a few that commute several hours per day to places like the Toyota factory for decent money but thats the few, not the norm. I/we were viewed as "well off" here by virtue of public school jobs that paid about what a janitor makes in LALA land! Not complaining, just telling the story & I'm happy & just returned from a nice private beach in Mexico !
Over the holidays I got "drug through" a nearby shopping center in Lex.,KY and looked petty prosperous as they were parked out to the edges. I know its tough on many these days but doesn't seem to be keeping the airports empty? My nephews that handle coal at a tipple with dozers/loaders got laid off this week. Relatively high pay jobs for this area(they're near Cumberland Gap) & the price of natural gas, not other often mentioned political factors caused their jobs to go. Even my son that works in energy("pollution control" I'll call it) will tell you the same. His company has shut down or switched some coal powered plants he actually helped become quite clean, in fact. Plants using coal near us are closing & those are not expendable income based jobs as an e.g..

Last edited:
Old Foggies Riding

I don't want to give it up yet, I started when I was 14, I just turned 80 this past October. Yes I took a few years off from riding while my kids were growing up and even then I managed to ride a friends bike once in a while. I never was a touring or distance rider, I took day and weekend type trips and still do but at a lesser extent, as my endurance is shorter.

I recently up graded to a 2008 R1200RT and I often thought about touring since I retired, but I just can't seem to get it all together. However as long as I can still get on the thing and feel I am of sound mind I will ride it, even if it is only to the grocery store.

Don't even think about giving up until you know in your own mind you simply should not be doing this, for your own safety and others as well.

Have a nice day

Hmmm....last quarter...?

I entered the last quarter in June of '98, after my ninth heart surgery.

Things are going fine....so far! :D

Hmmm....last quarter...?

I entered the last quarter in June of '98, after my ninth heart surgery.

Things are going fine....so far! :D
These last two posts are indicative of the fact that while many of us know we're in the last quarter of our riding,you just cannot predict how long that quarter will be , so enjoy it while you can-even if that's just a ride to the store. I look at the lives of my grandparents, all born in the 18980's/90's and the difference in how people live into their senior years, activity level wise is amazing. My MIL @ 89 truly thinks I'm a fool for the things I do but for me its simply my life as it happens.
It is unfortunate that the government doesn't test critical vehicle operation skills(not to the point of plain old intrusion!!!) such as eyesight & perhaps reaction times for seniors AND other drivers. I can tolerate that occasional driver/rider that's going slow but being cautious too, if it's about granny getting to the store or an 80 yr old biker man (per above) getting his jollies in for the day.:bow

You're only old if you think you are.

Just turned 66 and ride an R1150 RT almost always on long rides with a brother who rides a Road King.
We talk about the day when the bikes will be too heavy to handle and the options out there. Although not frantic about what the future holds I find myself looking for longer and longer trips. This summer we are leaving Lake Havasu, AZ to visit friends in Saskatchewan, Canada and then over to Kelowna (Canadas' wine country) where the spouses wil fly into and spend some time with us. Said and done, it looks to be about 8,000 miles by the time we get back home.
It is necessary to keep in the best possible physical shape because I'm convinced it strengthens the mind as well as the body. Don't ride if your not up to it.
We all age at different times and there is nothing wrong in realizing that the time has come to buy a convertable.
On another note (don't ask me why) I'm thinking about selling my RT and looking for a used K1200 LT. Any pros or cons out there why I wouldn't want an LT?

Just turned 66 and ride an R1150 RT almost always on long rides with a brother who rides a Road King.
We talk about the day when the bikes will be too heavy to handle and the options out there. Although not frantic about what the future holds I find myself looking for longer and longer trips. This summer we are leaving Lake Havasu, AZ to visit friends in Saskatchewan, Canada and then over to Kelowna (Canadas' wine country) where the spouses wil fly into and spend some time with us. Said and done, it looks to be about 8,000 miles by the time we get back home.
It is necessary to keep in the best possible physical shape because I'm convinced it strengthens the mind as well as the body. Don't ride if your not up to it.
We all age at different times and there is nothing wrong in realizing that the time has come to buy a convertable.
On another note (don't ask me why) I'm thinking about selling my RT and looking for a used K1200 LT. Any pros or cons out there why I wouldn't want an LT?

I just turned 72 (just retired in 2012 from a full time flying job) and last year I traded my 2002 K1200LT for a new R1200RT. I am 6'3" and the R1150RT never did fit me. The 1200RT on the other hand is very comfortable for me. It also is much lighter than the LT with much better power to weight ratio. While it is slightly less comfortable for my wife on the back (she still rides her own bike too) it still has all the necessary features that the LT had. I rode K1200LTs for over 100K miles and never did drop one but I came close several times in tight quarters. I have felt totally confident in tight spaces with the RT as it turns tighter and has a nice low center of gravity. I say all this to say that my age has nothing to do with me going to the RT from the LT but the better performance, better handling, great ergonomics and the fact that I never got out of a 12000 mile service for less than $800.00 with the LT made it an easy choice. So I would say go test ride them both and you will see what I mean.:D

I agree with all of this. My "plan" is to ride [a motorcycle] as long as I can safely [for myself & others]...then perhaps a sidecar..or maybe a scooter, and just stay local,no X-ways. I seriously doubt most 80+ yr,old's SHOULD be riding a M/C. And if I'm not able to safely,... long before that? I hope I'm smart enough to realize it...:brow

I jump started a guy's GS at the Rally that was at least 75. He might have been over 80. He road from Ohio. His feet swelled up in the heat, and he was wearing black dress shoes. He said he rode 200 miles a day.

This thread scares me. I don't want to get old and depressed. I don't want to get dementia or altimizers. I definitely don't want to even think about stopping riding. I am only 44 right now. I exercise 3-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes. I eat spinach every other day. Despite this, my hair is thinning out. My eye brows are thinning. How can I stop this aging curse ? I want to be like Doug :bow .​

This thread scares me. I don't want to get old and depressed. I don't want to get dementia or altimizers. I definitely don't want to even think about stopping riding. I am only 44 right now. I exercise 3-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes. I eat spinach every other day. Despite this, my hair is thinning out. My eye brows are thinning. How can I stop this aging curse ? I want to be like Doug :bow .​

Just wait until you get hair on your ears. :laugh

I jump started a guy's GS at the Rally that was at least 75. He might have been over 80. He road from Ohio. His feet swelled up in the heat, and he was wearing black dress shoes. He said he rode 200 miles a day.

I read about a guy in the mid-2000's that did the 4 corners ride with a K1200GT and he was 84 or 85 at the time. His name was Charlie Parks. I wonder what ever happened to Mr Parks? He said that if you question whether you can do the ride in your 50's or 60's, forget about doing it in your 80's. He sounded like a real rip.

Whats scary about a 72 yr old guy(who can still fly) & wife that still ride? Sounds pretty encouraging to me plus the fact that there have been few if none in this thread that have had to stop riding-cheer up you 44 yr old "child":D
I registered a man at the TN national that looked to be well into his eighties. He came to the table wearing a wide leather kidney/back support type belt and was very much alive and in the moment! I wish I could remember his origination point but , well, you know what age does to ones memory...:cry FWIW, the KY teacher retirement newsletter shows lots of 80's,90's & 100's still on the pension draw here & we are one of the UNhealthiest states.
As to hair & aging, two of my 3 sons have more gray than myself and we are talking guys that are health nuts , at that! Forget about the hair & worry about your next ride.

Back